Need suggestion for my P4 child

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Need suggestion for my P4 child
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:09 am 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

I need suggestion for my P4 child. I don’t know if she is doing well or just less then average student.

Her P4 SA1 result.

English = 67
Chinese = 80
Math’s = 87.5
Science = 89.5

She is very week on English composition. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Need suggestion for my P4 child
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:18 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

Your school should have given her a list with the highest, lowest and median scores for each subject. Take a look at that and you'll know where she stands compared against the rest of her level.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:23 am 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Also depends on the school the child is in.

Scores are one thing. Also try to look at assignments, corrections to see where strengths and weaknesses are.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:29 am 
Site Admin

jtoh wrote:
Your school should have given her a list with the highest, lowest and median scores for each subject. Take a look at that and you'll know where she stands compared against the rest of her level.

agreed with jtoh. scores are just numbers and meaningless unless compared against the median scores for each subject.

help her with her composition since you felt that she is weak there. Expose her to novels by different authors and thus writing styles. Help her pick up "catchy" phrases that she could use to spice up her composition.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:37 am 
If you have no time, it is probably good to have a tutor to give her a 1-1 guide on the compo writing. There are techniques to be learnt to achieve a piece of writing within a prescribed time in exam. Once she gets the idea, the tuition will no longer be necessary but just a matter of practice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:01 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

spacehubble wrote:
I need suggestion for my P4 child. I don’t know if she is doing well or just less then average student.

Her P4 SA1 result.

English = 67
Chinese = 80
Math’s = 87.5
Science = 89.5

Hi Spacehubble,

Not to alarm you, but in my opinion, 67 for P4 English is not a good score. There are 4 components in the English paper, and if your child does well in most of them, except writing, she should not be scoring this mark. I assume that your child's worst component is writing, but she is not scoring very well for the other areas.

Some tips.

1. Practise more on the Paper 2 aspect, especially synthesis & transformation, comprehension cloze and open-ended comprehension. You will want to avoid losing marks there.

2. Practise writing in chunks. If you feel that your child is not writing well enough, start her off in paragraphs, then after that complete a whole story. E.g. When your child has mastered an effective introduction, move on to the body and then work on her conclusion.

3. Gather "good" and "bad" compositions and get her to spot the difference. This will help her to see why her compositions are bad. Often, children are not able to sport their own mistakes.

4. Lastly, read, read and read. I cannot emphasize enough on how building a love for reading helps to improve your child's English. Select appropiate books, meaning at P4, your child should stop reading short stories and get started on novels already. Encourage her to keep a notebook of phrases which caught her eye and she might want to remember it for her next writing assignment.

Hope it helps!

Niedino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:19 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Hi Niedino,

My DD1 loves to read and she's in P3 currently. But she seems to read very fast without retaining anything at all.

So in a nutshell, her spoken and writing is as bad. How can I help her? I even tried telling her to read slowly. For those words that she doesn't understand is to write down in word bank book and find dictionary.

What can I do to help her to improve her English? Her class English is so strong. The overall class median is 25/30 and my girl gets 24, below the median. Sigh ....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Niedino wrote:
spacehubble wrote:

Her P4 SA1 result.

English = 67
Chinese = 80
Math’s = 87.5
Science = 89.5

Hi Spacehubble,

Not to alarm you, but in my opinion, 67 for P4 English is not a good score. There are 4 components in the English paper, and if your child does well in most of them, except writing, she should not be scoring this mark. I assume that your child's worst component is writing, but she is not scoring very well for the other areas.

Some tips.

1. Practise more on the Paper 2 aspect, especially synthesis & transformation, comprehension cloze and open-ended comprehension. You will want to avoid losing marks there.

2. Practise writing in chunks. If you feel that your child is not writing well enough, start her off in paragraphs, then after that complete a whole story. E.g. When your child has mastered an effective introduction, move on to the body and then work on her conclusion.

3. Gather "good" and "bad" compositions and get her to spot the difference. This will help her to see why her compositions are bad. Often, children are not able to sport their own mistakes.

4. Lastly, read, read and read. I cannot emphasize enough on how building a love for reading helps to improve your child's English. Select appropiate books, meaning at P4, your child should stop reading short stories and get started on novels already. Encourage her to keep a notebook of phrases which caught her eye and she might want to remember it for her next writing assignment.

Hope it helps!

Niedino

Hi Niedino,

My DD1 loves to read and she's in P3 currently. But she seems to read very fast without retaining anything at all.

So in a nutshell, her spoken and writing is as bad. How can I help her? I even tried telling her to read slowly. For those words that she doesn't understand is to write down in word bank book and find dictionary.

What can I do to help her to improve her English? Her class English is so strong. The overall class median is 25/30 and my girl gets 24, below the median. Sigh ....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:14 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Jazzie wrote:
Niedino wrote:
spacehubble wrote:

Her P4 SA1 result.

English = 67
Chinese = 80
Math’s = 87.5
Science = 89.5

Hi Spacehubble,

Some tips.

Hope it helps!

Niedino

Hi Niedino,

Sorry for the late reply. Jazzie, what you shared are good practices and your girl is quite commendable to follow through. Secondly, 24/30 is pretty close to 25/30 and there will be ups and downs.

Perhaps what you would like to ask is about your girl's consistency. Reading slowly may not be a solution. One area that she can work on is annotating. Annotating can be as simple as highlighting key words and adding footnotes. If your child can hi light key words, question words and make links to comprehension passages and questions, that would help her in one area.

Another concern you have is in understanding the text. To help your child understand a text better, you may want to ask some guiding questions, like what is the purpose of the text, how is the text written, who is the intended audience, what is the content etc ... These will help your child to understand the text better.

For spoken, she'll need to speak the language frequently and hear examples of good use. For oral exams, you can teach her to structure her thoughts in the picture discussion and conversation components by following a simple format, describe, explain and share your thoughts.

Hope this helps

Niedino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:02 am 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Every subject seems ok except English. Perhaps you can check with her English teacher how does the rest of her classmates do.