Jing Shan Primary

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Jing Shan Primary
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

This is the Parents' Networking Group for Jing Shan Primary.

Once you have gotten your child into this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.

Post subject: Jing Shan Primary School
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:06 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Hi

I have successfully registered for my gal into Jing Shan Primary school recently. The reason why I register her there is bcos it's stone's throw from where we stay ! I have not heard of any good review on this school so far.

Would anyone like to share with me more about Jing Shan ?

I actually have 2nd thoughts now ... thought of moving her to another better school :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:25 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

New kiasu parent here. Thinking of putting my gal for 2011 P1 in Jing Shan, but wondering why this forum so quiet. Anybody care to give some feedback on the school?

e.g. Education system, environment, teachers, principals.

Post subject: Re: Jing Shan Primary
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:49 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

i was an ex-student from JSPS. i studied there 20+ years ago. after i graduated, tis sch was renovated.

back then, majority of the teachers and the then-principal and then-VP were very good. the male and female teachers during my 6 yrs there are very patient, nice and passionate about their job. i had enjoyed learning in their lessons. they are strict only when we are naughty.

both the principal and VP are friendly and would walk around the canteen to get close to the students and parents. everyone is more scared of the principal cos he looks fierce but respects him.

the environment is quiet and we had amicable and hardworking cleaners to keep the environment clean. there was a pond and garden behind the Science lab. we also had a fitness corner and basketball court in the field.

i suppose the education system is normal. extra educational materials were used in the lessons. during festivals, we had celebrations in the form of performances by students. we held competitions such as sports, talents and language for students and had CCAs for students to relax and pick up new skills.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Hi, any updates on their Academic achievement? T-score for 2011 and passing rate for PSLE 2011?
Heard from one mum (whose girls were ex-student) that their top class did well. Her girls both scored more than 260 and both went to Anderson Secondary.
Funny why the school so quiet on their academic achievement?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:12 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

hi

my child study jingshan primary school p2. if u know any thing share.
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:08 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

what is Jing Shan primary highest PSLE score this year ?
percentage scored > 250 ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

I was also concerned about the lack of comments about JSP from the parents of students who attend, so I'll do my part by posting what I've learned.

1. We decided to place our son at JSP because it's nearby and we figured the extra hour of sleep he gets is more important that any marginal benefit of busing him to a more name brand school.

2. I asked a teacher during P1 registration, and she said roughly 50% of the top class (about 20) scored above 250 on the 2011 PSLE.

3. On the first two days of school in 2013, JSP conducted workshops for parents on STELLAR and How to Motivate your Kids. I recently learned, not all schools do this.

4. In week 4 of the 2013 term, the school conducted a Meet the Teacher session for P1 parents. I really appreciated having this opportunity early in the year, so we can better understand the learning environment and what's expected of the students.

5. On Tuesday nights for four weeks, the school conducts a Han Yu Pin Yin workshop for parents. This is so parent's can learn or brush up on their HYPY and help guide their kids in Term 1. Again, I don't believe all schools do this.

6. HYPY assessments started in week 4, but so far not too difficult.

7. In theory, the school will teach a child how to read English from the most basic level, but, as the vast majority of students have already attended pre-school, I believe the reality is that most kids can already read with modest proficiency. In fact, the English spelling assessments, which began in week 4, belie the notion that students in neighbourhood schools are presumed to start from a lower base, as some of the words are beyond the basic.

8. I'm not thrilled with the demerit point system which punishes a level if a student fails to bring his/her thermometer and story book to school. [The level with the least demerit points gets extra recess time]. I would think the system could be turned upside down into a merit point system, whereby days where everyone in a level brings the required material, they get a point, and the level with the most points at the end of each term gets some reward. Subtle difference, but I think it's better to reward good behaviour than teach P1's the meaning of demerits.

9. Apart from preparing for the weekly spelling assessments in English and Chinese, the homework is pretty light so far. At most twice a week.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the school. The teachers seem caring, and my son hasn't reported any problems with his classmates. It's early in the year, but I hope the school continues to deliver beyond my expectation.

Post subject: Re: Jing Shan Primary - End of Term 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:56 am 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

JSP held a Learning Festival one Saturday in Term 1 that included workshops for parents. Most notable was a workshop on Math that taught the parents the "modelling" method. These workshops run by JSP seem to be consistent with the philosophy of "Education Begins at Home". The other notable event was a trip to the Singapore Zoo by the P1 cohort, which seemed to go smoothly.

Term 1 has given me a greater appreciation for the difficulty teachers at "neighbourhood" schools must face. I'm beginning to think that the MOE mantra of "Every school a good school" is true when referring to the curriculum and general efforts of the staff; but, what may differ is the range of socio-economic backgrounds of the students. The "Education Begins at Home" philosophy is more difficult to implement when the Home environment is not conducive to it. This must present challenges to the teachers. The range of test scores in the P1 class, as reported anecdotally by my son, is possible evidence of this.

Overall, I think standard of education at JSP remains high, and the English vocabulary to be tested in Term 2 looks like it will be quite a challenge for some. Term 2 will also have another Meet the Teacher session.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:48 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Seem like jing Shan teachers quite caring & concerned. First time I hear of a school conduct parents workshop for p1 English stellar & Chinese Han Yu pin yin. Very good! Keep up the spirit!

should also conduct parents workshop for other subjects like Science P3 / P4 or P5 / P6. (if they haven't yet), or for Maths like P1 / P2 Modelling stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next