S'poreans to get priority for P1 places during balloting (Page 47)

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: S'poreans to get priority for P1 places during balloting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:43 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

KSP wrote:
I feel MOE should implement it in 2-3yrs after they announced to let those PR who have already PV in the school have their chance. I really pity those PR who have PV.

PVs can enrol in Phase 2B plus schools should have estimated the number of vacancies available at that phase before taking in the volunteers. So chances are most PVs should be able to get into their school. Unless the school calculated wrongly, as some have in previous years. But overall those in Phase 2B stand a better chance than Phase 2C.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:48 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Come to think of it, witn these new P1 registration rules MOE weakens its own statement that 'all schools are good schools'. To affirm the statement, it should have eliminated all registration phases and implemented registration based strictly on distance from school (in increments of 100 meters), lol :))) Just study where you live, period.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

Chenonceau wrote:
Miaor wrote:
When SG-reans are accusing PRs using SG as a step stone, have you ever wondered why?
(1) Why does SG govt have to use your tax to pay higher salary to hire PRs?
(2) Why don't just invest the money to better education and make SG-reans more talent?
(3) Think twice about the reason why so many SG kids are excluded from those branded primarys.
(4) Why are those schools are so popular.
(5) Why do SG kids have to suffer from the rigorous primary education.

IMHO, the policy is rather a politic move than something improving SG education system. :sweat:

These are great questions. I am curious to know what your answers are.

As am I.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:40 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

jtoh wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:
Miaor wrote:
When SG-reans are accusing PRs using SG as a step stone, have you ever wondered why?
(1) Why does SG govt have to use your tax to pay higher salary to hire PRs?
(2) Why don't just invest the money to better education and make SG-reans more talent?
(3) Think twice about the reason why so many SG kids are excluded from those branded primarys.
(4) Why are those schools are so popular.
(5) Why do SG kids have to suffer from the rigorous primary education.

IMHO, the policy is rather a politic move than something improving SG education system. :sweat:

These are great questions. I am curious to know what your answers are.

As am I.

I supposed I can understand why some new immigrants feel this way: even our very own, highly revered leader doesn't think too highly of us leh :roll: ....

http://lee-kuan-yew.com/leekuanyew-nati ... -2009.html
Quote:
Mr Lee: “Well, we’ve got ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indians here. The settled ones have become less hard-driving and hard-striving and we’ve got recent migrants, they are hungry, they’re determined to succeed having uprooted themselves and they’re doing better.”

Q: “Is that okay? Is that fine, I mean?”

Mr Lee: “No it worries the old citizens. They say look this is fierce competition, my children won’t be getting the scholarships because they’re doing well in schools, they push their children very hard. In fact, they need no pushing. They come here from China with no English language and they know that without English, they won’t get along. So there are many cases of boys and girls aged 12, 13 who come into our secondary schools and by the time, they finish the schools, they top the class in English.”

Q: “That’s interesting, it’s like my grandparents came to New York. When they came in, they don’t speak English and they did great. They just really tried hard and made a life for themselves and I think after a number of generations, it’s very difficult to keep that kind of drive up.”

Mr Lee: “Of course, of course.”

Q: “Do you think that’s inevitable or do you think that people just get lazy or what?”

Mr Lee: “No, I think the spurs are not stuck on your hinds. They are part of the herd, why-go-faster? But when you’re lagging behind, you must go faster to catch up with the herd. I’m quite sure that there are children of the migrants who strive arduously. When they grow up in the same schools as the Singaporeans, the same playing fields, same environment and they begin to adopt Singaporean habits in the ways of living and thinking. So I’m quite sure they’d become like us. Well, because we’re shrinking in our population, our fertility ratio is about 1.29.

Q: “I actually wanted to ask you about that.”

Mr Lee: ”So it’s a worrying factor. So we’ll need a constant inflow but we’re a small population, so we get the inflow and we get the inflow from the educated end of the population, both Indians and Chinese and they’ve got surplus populations. Well, I won’t say surplus but they’ve got huge population, huge numbers.”

Q: “They have people to spare, that’s for sure.”

Mr Lee: “No and they’ve got fierce competition there, so when they come here, higher standards of living for the time being, better social environment with jobs.”

Q: “What would you say the parents of the second or third generation of Singaporeans and their children are not able to compete with the new people? How do you tell them?”

Mr Lee: “We tell them look they have got to work harder or they’ll become stupid. It’s just that they don’t see the point of it. Why race when you can canter and save your energy and do other things? Art, ballet, sports whereas these new migrants, they spend all their time slogging away in the library or at home.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:55 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

friendship wrote:
Who is Jim roger?

He is the father who rides a tricycle every morning Happily ferrying his daughter, Happy Roger, to school, and fetches her back, and sometimes the your sister would tag along

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 pm 
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

verykiasu2010 wrote:
friendship wrote:
Who is Jim roger?

He is the father who rides a tricycle every morning Happily ferrying his daughter, Happy Roger, to school, and fetches her back, and sometimes the your sister would tag along

Not to mention the S600L merc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:23 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Come to think of it, this announcement should not affect those PR PVs registering this year right? Because if they PV successfully, they would have gotten the priority already ahead of non-PV SG-reans. For SG-reans, this announcement also came too late already for them to do any PV. Therefore "sleeping SG-reans" don't hope to get advantage this year. So I think for this 2012 registration, the situation could be "frozen" in the various phases already. Unless the schools screwed up in their estimation of PV vacancies again in which case I say again it is very POOR management on the part of the school!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:44 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

limlim wrote:
snaw wrote:

If Singapore keeps forcing the issue with moves like this I'll leave, there are plenty of other countries which would value my skills and aren't quite as hostile as Singapore is starting to appear to be to foreign talent.

countries like.. your own? :wink: (juz a remark, no intention to be sarcastic or anything..)

it may be a political move.. you can't run away from that..

One comment on the hostility.. most are not against real talents who can contribute to the community.. but rather cheap PMET labour from pinoy land, abnn land or tiong land or the like.. who come here in hordes to compete with locals for jobs..

I doubt UK employee or Aussie employees will cost less than locals..

But pinoys, abnn & tiong more often than not will be much cheaper.. plus no NS obligations..

FT is just a general term.. the hostility is most likely not targeted at all FTs.. I doubt the number of European FTs is significant anyway.. compared to pinoy, abnn & tiong land..... to cause any distress to locals..

All along, there have been FTs from other parts of the world and there was never much resentment.. only recently the influx from pinoy, abnn & tiong than got so many complains..

Hence, no need to be bothered by those comments against FTs that you see in other forums..... I feel..

may any ppl call us 'ugly' asian?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

verykiasu2010 wrote:
friendship wrote:
Who is Jim roger?

now why would frinedship's sister wanna tag along?
:wink: :evil: :siam: :laugh: :rotflmao:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:21 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

LOLMum wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
friendship wrote:
Who is Jim roger?

now why would frinedship's sister wanna tag along?
:wink: :evil: :siam: :laugh: :rotflmao:

:rotflmao:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 66  Next