Parent pays nearly $6,000 a month in tuition fees (Page 12)

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Will you pay $6K a month for tuition?
Yes 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
No 94%  94%  [ 80 ]
Total votes : 85
 Post subject: Re: Parent pays nearly $6,000 a month in tuition fees
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:19 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Chenonceau wrote:
Maybe you broke up because one went and the other did not... There are plenty of opportunities regionally. She just got offered a one month stint in China... allowance, food and lodging.. We are waiting and praying. Last thing we wanna do is to think that the traditional pathways are best... Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard... tried and tested, but maybe God has better plans.

We really like this boy. Talk about husband material... this is one. We aren't saying "Don't go". It's just such a big decision that all perspectives matter... and the 2 youths have their perspectives too.

How can anyone goes wrong with such "level headed" thinking
parents , Chenonceau- your DS/DD is so blessed to be your child. :hi5:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:33 pm 
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

kiddo wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:
Maybe you broke up because one went and the other did not... There are plenty of opportunities regionally. She just got offered a one month stint in China... allowance, food and lodging.. We are waiting and praying. Last thing we wanna do is to think that the traditional pathways are best... Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard... tried and tested, but maybe God has better plans.

We really like this boy. Talk about husband material... this is one. We aren't saying "Don't go". It's just such a big decision that all perspectives matter... and the 2 youths have their perspectives too.

yeah, feel like calling you mummy and I m not implying anything to do with age ok. You are such a darling and a blessing :please:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1amber wrote:
kiddo wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:

yeah, feel like calling you mummy and I m not implying anything to do with age ok. You are such a darling and a blessing :please:

Chenonceau, where r u
Darling amber gal :love: :please: :wink: calling :rotflmao:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:05 pm 
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

kiddo wrote:

Chenonceau, where r u
Darling amber gal :love: :please: :wink: calling :rotflmao:

:evil: :lightrod: :wink: :snuggles:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:14 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

:oops: :oops: Wah lau... soooooooooooo paiseh.... :oops: :oops:

I'm just an Auntie who wanna see DD get married mah...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:28 am 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Thanks, will check it out!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:36 am 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

auntieauntie wrote:
If a private school offers a better curriculum and teaching method for O and A levels, I would rather send my kid to that school than stay in a government school. There is something wrong with the education system if parents need to tax their children with more school work outside of regular school hours. There will be little time to play and be creative.

My sister's daughter suffered a nervous breakdown because she constantly worries about her grades. It has come to a point where she is seeing a psychologist to help manage her anxieties. She attends all kinds of tuition classes and enrichment programmes. Did quite well in school but this took a toll on her mental well-being.

It looks like the girl may be looking into other options as she is currently unfit to continue with her A levels in the junior college. But her mom is quite adamant that she goes to a good university...

Anyway, I read that the London Edexcel IGCSE 'A' level course at Insworld Institute is structured such that each subject is divided into 6 units with examinations held every 6 months. Students can choose any number of units and are allowed to re-take examinations. The results are then accumulated as a full 'A' level certificate. So perhaps no need to cram so much info in the brain for 2 years before taking exams....Also, the school seems to have produced students that went to the Imperial College, UCL, Uni of Warwick, Uni of British Columbia etc...Perhaps it is something that my friend can consider. The girl has already done 1 year in JC so maybe can get advance standing to complete her A level.

My suggestion:

I don't know about other alternatives except to talk to your sister. I read from FB that one child wrote a letter to his parents that he'd run away from home before the results were out. If you are the parent, your fears and anxieties would have built up to a point that all you want is to see your child again, safe and sound. At the end of the letter, the child wrote that it was all made up, that he's just next door at neighbor's place. The message was clear - that there are more important things in life than just good results and going into Uni.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:11 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

I am skeptical about some private schools. Some are reputable and have qualified teachers. I know a good teacher who has moved on from an MOE school to teach in a private school. Others, however, just want to make a quick buck by over-promising and under-delivering. Parents should have a chat with the teachers before enrolling their kids.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:26 am 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

auntieauntie wrote:
If a private school offers a better curriculum and teaching method for O and A levels, I would rather send my kid to that school than stay in a government school. There is something wrong with the education system if parents need to tax their children with more school work outside of regular school hours. There will be little time to play and be creative.

My sister's daughter suffered a nervous breakdown because she constantly worries about her grades. It has come to a point where she is seeing a psychologist to help manage her anxieties. She attends all kinds of tuition classes and enrichment programmes. Did quite well in school but this took a toll on her mental well-being.

It looks like the girl may be looking into other options as she is currently unfit to continue with her A levels in the junior college. But her mom is quite adamant that she goes to a good university...

Anyway, I read that the London Edexcel IGCSE 'A' level course at Insworld Institute is structured such that each subject is divided into 6 units with examinations held every 6 months. Students can choose any number of units and are allowed to re-take examinations. The results are then accumulated as a full 'A' level certificate. So perhaps no need to cram so much info in the brain for 2 years before taking exams....Also, the school seems to have produced students that went to the Imperial College, UCL, Uni of Warwick, Uni of British Columbia etc...Perhaps it is something that my friend can consider. The girl has already done 1 year in JC so maybe can get advance standing to complete her A level.

Any comments other suggestions?

We have listed our school in the kiasuparents.com directories. Here is the direct link http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... -institute

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:12 am 
Councillor
Councillor

auntieauntie wrote:

parental support is very important.
i almost had a nervous breakdown too, struggling with 4 hrs of sleep each day trying to cope in JC. luckily my parents had no expectations of me and told me that all they wanted was for me to be healthy and not end up in a mental hospital. so how relieved i was to submit that withdrawal form when i received my O-level results although I qualified to stay at the same JC. there was no tuition whatsover for me last time and i had to rely on myself pouring over the class notes at 2am in the morning and still could not figure out Fmath. :stupid: i eventually went to poly and after 3 yrs, an Australian uni invited me (through my level head) for me to apply for overseas studies scholarship. i did not accept (financial difficulty at home hence no money for daily lodging etc, parents not looking forward for me to go overseas etc, still have younger sibling schooling etc) and started working and got married instead :oops: . applied NUS part time, got accepted, then rejected their offer (cos fees and time commitment was so much higher than SIM) and planned for our first child and then went on to get my degree at SIM. my husband dropped out of JC after 3 months too although he qualified to continue. he went private diploma (he took 2 'specialty' at the same time) and got his degree before he NS. all these possible because his parents were very supportive of him planning his own route (and also cos his parents could afford because no other siblings). he also shared that going private studies requires a lot of self motivated and determination. social circle and social life will be very limited (ie no such thing as campus life as in NUS/NTU kindof campus life ah). because he deferred NS (which he said is no longer possible now), failing is not an option and he accelerated his learning by taking max modules during a given time period. for backup, he also took another higher diploma while managing his degree. all these were planned by him, so his parents only provided morale (and money) support. no tuition last time too ah.

life is still very long ahead. my husband said that while getting a degree should be the aim for our kids, he is open to the different ways that our kids could achieve it so long at the end of the day, a uni degree is a must.
so bottom line, parental support is very important. kids usually get stressed from parental expectations rather than sch expectations. but unless parents envisage that at the end of the day, the quality of lifestyle they wanted their kids to have should be higher than what they are having now, then maybe that's why parents are pushing their kids to work harder. my ILs mentality had been so long my dh is independent and can earn a decent living, that is good enough. (my parents were so long i can get married, good enough for them :yikes: :oops: ).

but hor, now 2 uni grad parent fumbled at P4 math questions... :slapshead: ...how ah? :sweat: tuition? :siam:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next