Knitting, Sewing, Handicrafts: Useful lifeskill

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Knitting, Sewing, Handicrafts: Useful lifeskill
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 am 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

I discovered that when children learn to knit and sew, it actually helps them to develop some life skills like discipline, patience, the ability to follow instructions and mechanical skills. It also brings out creativity, independence and self-confidence. Somehow, it also managed to calm an active child with short attention span. Amazing:D. My child started with finger knitting one holiday and then it progressed from there. Every holiday, it was a goal to complete at least one project.
I recently found some amazing gadgets/tool from an interesting craft shop, San Merinos, it really got my child and her cousins interested. Now they can make their own toys and create gifts for their friends. Apparently many of their products are made in Japan(good quality and of some standard). The Japanese really have a creative way to make things simple, fun and attractive. The children got really excited and happy when they completed their "project".
Mummies should really consider encouraging your children to have a shot at sewing/knitting, even boys should learn this life skill so that they can fix their own buttons and clothes or even knit their own winter wear/cardigan. You'll be surprised to discover what they can create.. Believe me, you'll also feel the sense of pride when they start fixing their own lose buttons/zips/toys. Plus, it really occupies their holiday time. The key is to make it as fun a project as possible :D Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Knitting, Sewing, Handicrafts: Useful lifeskill
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:13 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Great idea!

My girl and I started knitting lesson last month. It's great for mother daughter bonding. We enjoy knitting together :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 am 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

It's really fun right! There are so many things that can be created with the skill. Not only can it make wonderful gifts, everything becomes more personalised and treasured :D.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:28 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

How do you start to learn knitting first then? I like knitting but know nuts about it, not to mention about teaching my kids.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:01 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

We start with scarves, just knit and purl, quite easy. It's difficult only when you make a mistake. Then you'll need an expert to help you salvage without having to undo.

We learn from a yarn shop. Teacher is there 4 times a week. You can go any day to see her for help. Must buy yarn from shop.

Yes, it's fun and I must say it is very good for quietening one's mind... like meditation. :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

I always have a dream like those in the show to knit a scarf for my love ones... Hence this holiday I borrowed a book from the library, yet to flip it though. Think I will go DAISO to shop for my tools first.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:39 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

just888 wrote:
I always have a dream like those in the show to knit a scarf for my love ones... Hence this holiday I borrowed a book from the library, yet to flip it though. Think I will go DAISO to shop for my tools first.

Me too. I hope to knit a vest each for my love ones at home. When they wear, they can feel my love for them. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:32 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

kids_r_innocent wrote:
How do you start to learn knitting first then? I like knitting but know nuts about it, not to mention about teaching my kids.

It is possible to learn from books or videos (you can look online), but it's not that easy. There's nothing like having someone who knows what to do to show you and 'rescue' your mistakes at first. Try finding someone who knows how to show you first. Once you have learned the basics, you can use pattern books to increase your skills.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:45 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Totally agree on the part that knitting or needlework feels very much like meditation, probably due to the repeated and rhythmic movements. I remember my family got together to knit a buttoned vest for the dad. 2 daughters knitted the front of the vest, left and right side respectively. The mum did the back portion and then combined all the parts together as a gift. From then, the dad had something to keep himself warm in the office and it made him feel like the whole family was giving him endless warm hugs each time he put it on :smile: .

I agree that it is easier going to the yarn shop to learn from a teacher, definitely better. All you have to do is purchase the materials from the shop and the lesson would most probably be complementary.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 pm 
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Hi I used to knit twenty years ago, now very difficult to find a someone who can teach you. May I know where u learn knitting ?