[Bukit Panjang/Bukit Timah/Hillview] Preschools

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: [Bukit Panjang/Bukit Timah/Hillview] Preschools
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:40 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Dear Kiasu parents..

Appreciate any recommendation on childcare centres in Bt Panjang/ Upp Bt Timah/ Hillview/ Toh Yi (Jln Jurong Kechil) area.

In addition, will also appreciate any comments about Learning Ladder (woodlands) opposite Ten Mile Junction.

Thank you in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:43 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Hi Belmum,

Pls adv how old is yr kid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:16 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Hi Atan,

My gal is 3.5yr old. Hoping to send her in Nov, once she finished her N1 at St Jo Kindergarten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:44 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Hi Belmum,

I see that yr gal is in St Jo Kindergarten and U want to change to a childcare. My son is in Bt Panjang Methodist Church Kindergarten, K2. I moved him fm a private childcare fm 4 yrs old by chance, but have been glad to have made the switch. Reasons are, besides being more caring and established, the Kindergarten is like a mini Pr Sch with proper assembly hall, classrooms, music room, canteen, etc. and a v structured program. I feel that my son is well prepared for Pri sch with his Presch education at BPMC Kindergarten.

One of my relative had put her gal, now 8 yrs old, at Kinderland Crestar at BT Panjang Ring Rd in N2 and switched to St James after half a year. The reason was that Kinderland spent alot of time bathing, feeding and puting the kids to sleep (nap time) rather than teach.. So it depends on what you are looking for.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:56 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

Atan wrote:
My son is in Bt Panjang Methodist Church Kindergarten, K2.

Is it the one beside Railmall?
Do they have religious study? ie can non-church goers register?
How are the fees like? And curriculum? 2-3 hrs?
Class size? Need to be on waiting list?
I am hesitant to let my ds2 go to pcf when the time comes as the centre that my ds1 is currently in is not adequate in academic preparation.
TIA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:58 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Hi Atan,

Thank you for the sharing.

Certainly appreciate the fact that compared to a kindergarten, a childcare will spend much of the time physically caring for the child (bath, meals etc).

We had decided not to engage a domestic helper anymore, and my mum is unable to take care of both my elder gal and little 7mth old gal. Even if she is able to manage, there won't be much opportunity/time to teach my elder gal things. Hence, we would rather she goes to a CC to learn more things and be occupied (my elder gal is rather active type).

Haven't had much luck in the search for a suitable CC so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:04 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Atan wrote:
v structured program. I feel that my son is well prepared for Pri sch with his Presch education at BPMC Kindergarten.

Hi Atan,

Can you elaborate more on what do you mean by a structured program and what is the school fees per term?

My elder gal was in St Jo for three years and indeed the school environment is also very good. However, they are not so academic and adopt a more relaxing style of education program for the kids. Good and bad. Now, my gal is having problem coping with the demanding primary school across the street.

My younger gal will be in N1 next year and I am still wondering if I should change school for her instead of going back to St Jo.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:17 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

hee, Mrs Yang (Principal of BPMC Kin) should tk me for promoting the sch!

This Kin is popular with kid living in Bt Panjang, so you may also hear fm other parents. We were hesitant at first as we are non-Christians but there is only 1 hr of Bible story time a week, so it is ok, considering the benefits that my son is receiving there :lol:
There are 3 sessions, 8.30 -11.30, 11.30-2.30, 2.30 - 5.30. Fee per term (abt 3 mths) is $483, n computer class is $60; text books about $50 -100 per yr. Class size flw the MOE recommendations. i think it is 16 for N, 22 for K1 & 26 for K2 (not so sure), but it is usually full. I think only the first session is on waiting list.
The sch use Rigby series for English, has v good chinese prog (my kid can write pretty well vs other kids his age at other sch such as St James). I think one interesting pt is that the Kin teaches basic Music notes on Keyboard (paper ones in K1 and mini keyboard in K2).
Hope the info is useful. Feel free to visit the Kin, I am sure that Mrs Yang or her staff would be pleased to bring U around, as what she did and impressed us on our first visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:11 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Hi Snowyqueen,

I have heard about St Jo having a relaxed environment and has no spelling etc.. BPMC has fixed time table for Eng, maths, Chinese, Art, Music, Computer, In/Outdoor play, and Bible Story (once a week 1/2 hr not 1 hr).
Every week, my son would bring home Eng activity book, chinese writing and has English & chinese spelling on alternate weeks.( on a lower freq in K1) At the end of each Semester, there is also assessment where the teachers would assess the child on the work / rhyms/ textbks during the term.
One mom I met feel that BPMC has too much work but my son said that he enjoys it, so it is ok for us. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:29 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Hi Atan,

Thanks for the information. I will check it out next week and see if they still have vacancy for next year. Maybe it is gd to change so can experience a difference programme and see if this will make a difference in preparing the child for P1.

I am ok with the Church though I am also not a Christian. My elder gal is learning ballet at the Methodist School of Music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next