140g/5 oz. fine granulated sugar
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
50g/2 oz. butter
250g/9 oz. cream cheese
100 ml/3 fluid oz. fresh milk
1 tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
60g/2 oz. cake flour /superfine flour
20g/1 oz. cornflour (cornstarch)
1/4 tsp. salt
(Preheat oven to 160deg)
1. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler.
2.Cool the mixture. Mix in lemon juice, egg yolks and then fold in the flour and cornflour.
3. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whisk until soft peaks form.
4. Fold egg white mixture 1/3 at a time, to the cheese mixture until the batter is even.
5. Pour into a 8-inch round cake pan (Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper).
4. Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hours 10 minutes or until set and golden brown.
I used loaf pans instead and made 2 such loaves from the recipe above. And instead of using baking paper, I dusted the pan with flour after oiling it. Works as well.
The 1st time I made this, I used low fat cream cheese and low fat milk from NTUC. 2nd time I baked this for a x'mas party at my friend's, I went to Phoon Huat and got the 'real' stuff, as in full cream cheese. The difference is subtle but still detectable. The full cream cheese of course gave the cake a richer taste. I ommitted the lemon juice and as usual with all my bakings, I cut back on the sugar by about 20-30g.
When adding the sugar to the egg whites, make sure to add bit by bit. DD got impatient when helping me and dumped a heap in and the egg whites just collapsed and I had to start all over again.