Will you work in SME or MNC? (Page 3)

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:41 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

For fresh grads it is better to work for MNC to gain exposure. After certain number of years one can either switch to SME or stay with MNC if there are apportunities. SME starting pay is generally lower but they are willing to pay if one has the niche they are looking for.

For me I prefer to work for MNC because of the flexibility, exposure and of course the perks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:49 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

For many many reasons, the clear choice is MNC.

However, when one reaches middle-age, must prepare to retire at 55 with a second income without working for anybody.

Must look far ahead, invest and prepare for financial independence at later stage . That way, no need to work either for sme or mnc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:09 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

I think it is ultimately his decisions. Others can have all their say and opinions, but he is the one going to work.

If he is unhappy in his current work, how about putting the option of joining his ex-boss on KIV, and go and look for other opportunities? Don't burn the bridge lah, just buy some time and send out resumes or talk to recruitment people. With his background in finance, and the right attitude, surely there must be some options out there to explore.

MNCs or SMEs, all got their own set of problems n uncertainties. Got to evaluate individual company for employment prospects and one's marketability and competencies. Personally, I think the culture n leadership style differs significantly between MNC n SME, so only your hb can decide where his comfort zone is. This is assuming $$ issue is not the ONLY consideration. Just my humble opinion.

I've only got experience working in foreign MNCs. And is not likely that I will work for SMEs :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:14 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

PlayfulFairy wrote:
Hmm think transfer of department is not possible..
Sigh I really dont understand what he is thinking.. He says if he still needs to travel in the 2nd yr( he was told that there would be aggressive expansion in the region in the 1st yr), then he would change job again...
He has been wanting to get out of the MNC since last yr..( well year before last, he had some arguments with his boss, don't know whether is it cos he can't tolerate his boss??)

Probably see where your hubby is coming from. As his relationship with his current boss is not ideal, he might silently feel that this will hamper his opportunity to be promoted (so he has to stay within current level) or his ability to move to other department is also questionable. Such are very common concerns unfortunately. So these are probably the push factors that led him to think about looking for another job.

For MNC, you didn't mention about their size in Singapore. It might be a MNC but sometimes their Singapore operations is small. So the opportunity to move to another role is difficult too.

With anyone, it's not good to feel that your current level is probably the max you can go. There is like no more hope unless it's your personal choice. Eg. I choose to stay in mid level so that I can have work life balance. I choose to stay in the same role, etc... but I've to resign to the fact that there is no promotion if I do this and people might start to question why are you in that role for so long???? These are the fact of MNC experience. And if you stay in the same level, you might see ambitious junior staff becoming your boss one day. This is also the fact of MNC life since it offers opportunity to those who are willing to go for it and has the potential.

Have never worked in SME before. But would prefer MNC for its benefits, pay, opportunities as well as marketability. Also in MNC since your hubby is in finance, the systems are probably developed, there are experts in each field. Such are usually not avaiable in SME. For people who are used to MNC, they would usually feel a step backward professionally. They will be like why are they doing such things here :?

Other considerations include, if he move to SME, will his growth be limited by his boss's presence? Eg, there is only 1 director so there is more likely to be a bottleneck as compared to MNC.

But for retrenchment, I suppose MNC are like that.... no one's job is secured. But this doesn't mean SME guarantee lifetime employment. In bad times, SME might be the 1st to go first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:03 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PlayfulFairy wrote:
Yah he says job not so secure in MNC , so I have to work full time to save enuff money for our 3 kids' overseas education( lest they can't enter local uni)

But this SME is quite a volatile industry whereas the MNC is an essential staple in people's daily lives...

This is a no win situation for you. Better remove yourself from the decision making process, or else if something goes wrong, it will be on you. Also, you ought to tell him that he needs to make his own decision and not be influenced by what his dad thinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:46 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Thanks all for your insight/advice :D

My hubby is in the process of negotiating with the SME on his work scope now. He is excited about his new work scope. He says he has lots of areas to unleash his potential, make an impact on the organisation by implementing new initiatives etc. He feels it would boost his marketability..

However, it seems there is going to be extensive travel for his work, and one of the countries he would be going to is China. But his ex boss, who is now in the SME, is someone who hates his wife (well according to him, he is an Ah Beng) and drinks until he pukes.

This may sound silly...I am starting to feel insecure about the travelling to China part. My hubby is the pious, family loving type(after all, we didnt consummate until we were married and we didnt have any intercourse when I was pregnant with dd1 due to fear of complications) and I know I shouldnt feel insecure... But I have heard too many horror stories about China women..I did voiced my concern with him and he said China women are just after money and that he made a commitment to me... He said there are women who went to him in Singapore but he had rejected them... He is the rational, logical type who is not expressive about his feelings and doesnt like to talk too much..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:46 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

My hubby is in the process of negotiating with the SME on his work scope now. He is excited about his new work scope. He says he has lots of areas to unleash his potential, make an impact on the organisation by implementing new initiatives etc. He feels it would boost his marketability..

However, it seems there is going to be extensive travel for his work, and one of the countries he would be going to is China. But his ex boss, who is now in the SME, is someone who hates his wife (well according to him, he is an Ah Beng) and drinks until he pukes.

This may sound silly...I am starting to feel insecure about the travelling to China part. My hubby is the pious, family loving type(after all, we didnt consummate until we were married and we didnt have any intercourse when I was pregnant with dd1 due to fear of complications) and I know I shouldnt feel insecure... But I have heard too many horror stories about China women..I did voiced my concern with him and he said China women are just after money and that he made a commitment to me... He said there are women who went to him in Singapore but he had rejected them... He is the rational, logical type who is not expressive about his feelings and doesnt like to talk too much..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:47 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt