Kumon - Discussion (Page 12)

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 37  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:28 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

yqyq wrote:
Dear Kiasimom,

I signed up EL for her 2 weeks ago. Instructor not allow to sign CL as scared my girl cant cope. Kumon v professional... :D

Oh yes, as mentioned before, they ensure that your child is good in one subject before they will let her take the diagnostic test for the next subject.

Did your girl sign up for their Maths?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:13 pm 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Dear Kiasimom,

Yes..she joined Kumon maths in Aug'09, and till recently I enrolled her for the English as well.

I considered sign up English as I saw improvement on her maths...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:04 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

yqyq wrote:
Dear Kiasimom,

Yes..she joined Kumon maths in Aug'09, and till recently I enrolled her for the English as well.

I considered sign up English as I saw improvement on her maths...

That's good> Wishing your DD all the best in her learning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:05 am 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

anybody have any feedback for the branch at Serangoon Garden or Upper serangoon rd?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:03 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Hi,
Does anybody know a good or hihgly recommended Kumon centre in the west? Say in Bukit Batok/CCK or Jurong area?

I am thinking of sending my dd when she enters K1 in 2010.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:40 am 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

mama79 wrote:
Hi,
Does anybody know a good or hihgly recommended Kumon centre in the west? Say in Bukit Batok/CCK or Jurong area?

I am thinking of sending my dd when she enters K1 in 2010.

Hi mama79,

For Jurong area, you may consider Kumon @ Gek Poh and Kumon @ Jurong West Blk 502.

Kumon @ Gek Poh, students not so crowded and instructor Sam very caring and nice.

As for Kumon @ Jurong West Blk 502, heard so standard a bit higher and alot students there. Usually full during evening time and Saturday. But students there require to borrow books per week to read at home. There is a mini library, additional facility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 am 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

One thing I like kumon is consistency, my DD make much much lesser careless mistake than before now.

Last edited by finder on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:08 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Fairy wrote:

It is because Completers are people who have gone through & passed the stringent Kumon test for worksheets at UNIVERSITY level! I find it hard to reconcile why a child competent in UNIVERSITY-level languages could not get an A* for worksheets at primary 6 level. The disparity/irony is too much for me to accept.

I didn't know about this piece of info. You heard from the center manager? Is that the reason that prompt you to withdraw?

My guess is Kumon Maths is not quite in sync with PSLE type of questions. When we compare the equivalent level of Kumon worksheets to assessment books based on MOE syllabus, can easily observe that Kumon worksheets are more straight forward comparatively.

Fairy wrote:

my kids have been with Kumon Maths for > 5 years before I decided to pull them out! :wink:

I withdrawn mine before she entered primary school. I spoke to an educator during a parenting talk. He mentioned it's better to study in depth than acceleration. Furthermore, I feel that Kumon Maths is not quite in sync with MOE's model drawing & heuristic type of questions. So parents still need to do additional coaching based on MOE syllabus.

Nevertheless, Kumon is a good programme since it met my objective in building strong foundation during preschool years. I've recommended Kumon to many of my friends with preschoolers :D

Fairy wrote:
They were both in the Advance Student Honor Roll for years! I have attended many of the ceremonies honoring Completers and the Advance Students and I can understand why you are impressed by the success stories quoted.

Attended ASHR too & watched the video clips. Impressive indeed 一山还有一山高 some kids can do 9 years beyond their school levels :!:

Fairy wrote:
I once even contemplated running a Kumon Franchise. :lol:

Me too! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:40 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Hi. I am considering math enrichment for my son who is in N2 this year. He really likes numbers and counting. But he is hyperactive and can't sit down for long. A parent at his preschool recommended Kumon as she said it helped her hyperactive son calm down and focus better. Another parent saw my son touching this and that, and said that Montessori Math would be better for him as it is more hands-on and fun.

I am now quite confused. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:53 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Hi sleepy. May I know when you started your kid on Kumon?

And where have you put your kid in now? I also believe that studying in depth is important. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 37  Next