National Junior College [*IP]

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4077 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 408  Next
 Post subject: National Junior College [*IP]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:09 am 
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Hi All,

National Junior College will be participating in the S1 posting exercise with effect from 2008. The secondary section of the school is offering integrated programme (IP) and it's 2008 open house is on this coming Saturday, 18 Oct 2008, 9 am - 3 pm.

Pls refer to the school's website :-> http://www.njc.edu.sg/index.php

Do you have kids/friends that have attended this school or being former students? Kindly share your views/thoughts about the school.

I thank you for your time and helpful feedback.

Warmest regards :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:52 am 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

My niece attends the school. She enjoys it very much. In sec 3, they would do some aspects of economics etc. From what she says, it requires you to be more independent, which i think is quite important in today's world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:54 am 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

I went to the open house a few months back, during the DSA application period. I think their Sec 1 intake next year is only going to be 150. The advantage is that each class will only have a size of between 20 - 25. The in charge said they intend to take in about 90 through DSA. I am not sure if that number has been filled though.

On the other hand, this will be the first batch of Sec 1 that they will be getting, so not too sure if they will end up as "guinea pigs".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:04 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

What sort of CCA will these Sec 1 pupils be exposed to? Same CCAs as those in the present JC? Play against the big boys/girls?

Post subject: Re: National Junior College
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:02 am 
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Vanilla Cake wrote:
Hi All,

National Junior College will be participating in the S1 posting exercise with effect from 2008. The secondary section of the school is offering integrated programme (IP) and it's 2008 open house is on this coming Saturday, 18 Oct 2008, 9 am - 3 pm.

Any feedbacks for those that attended yesterday's NJC open house 2008? How many Sec 1 students for 2009 are they getting in through S1 posting? What is their rough estimate for the PSLE T-score ?

Pls share your findings and views.

Warmest regards.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:53 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Here are some information given by the Principal and information booklet:

1. There will be 150 vacancies for next year Sec 1.
2. They have offered about 50% to the DSA. Some of the DSA students have multiple offers. So you might look at about 60% to 70% available.
3. The class sizes will not be more than 25.
4. They will increase year to 200 in year 2010 and 250 in year 2011. They also indicate that they do not have sufficient classroom yet and will be building for the next 2 years. The Senior High student(Year 5 and 6) might need to study in the containers.
5. Base on history, their students PSLE averages is above 250. This is also the averages for IP Students. Base on this, we can estimate the cut off point.
6. During the first 2 years, the students can try all the CCA in the college. They can switch every 6 months. By year 3, they will have to choose one.
7. Their curriculum is also different. They do not believe in text books and will follow college style with Notes and Lettures. But they have personal mentors.
8. They curriculum is also base on modules which is quite smiliar to NUS High.
9. They are good at Science and have a lot of projects/research with univerities around the world.
10. The other focus is on leadership and arts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:56 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Sorry I forget to add.

Their IP programe will include a broading programe. According to the information, the Junior High student (Year 1 to Year 4) will have to spend one term per year at the broading house. The broading house is newly build and is still expanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:46 am 
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Hi kiasuson,

Thank you very much for your detailed & useful information.

Assuming 60% of the remaining vacancies out of a total of 150 are available for S1 posting exercise and minus half (estimate) that are for boys, 45 vacancies would be left for girls. Also need to consider staying at boarding house for one term per year and the traveling time to NJC from my home ( 1 hour plus). :?

Warmest regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:02 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

I have the same problem with the distance (staying in the east) and the broading programe. My son is offered a place from the DSA. We are now trying to make the decision on the schools. He needs to make his choices for the DSA by 30th Oct. His other choices is Dunman High (confirmed offer) and RI (waiting list). He wants RI to be his first choice and do not know which school to be his second choices in case he cannot make it to RI.

My heart tell me to go NJC but my wife says Dunman High.

May be someone can give us some advise or guidance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:45 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

I had same problem last year. My son was put on HCI waiting list and got confirmed offer from River Valley but when we filled in the DSA option form, we chose only HCI based on my son's estimation of his PSLE performance.

Reason is this: If we put RVHS as the second choice and he failed to get a place in HCI, he would be posted to River Valley High no matter how high he score in PSLE. Of course we can appeal to MOE to request a school transfer after get my son's PSLE result but it is still troublesome.

Risk for this option is : if he is not chosen by HCI through DSA and his PSLE score not match RVHS's cut off score, he will miss both schools.

Last edited by xhxie on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4077 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 408  Next