RI Maths Competition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Forum rules

Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Post subject: RI Maths Competition
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:54 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Anyone know what is this competition abt or any of your kid take part in it before?

txs

Post subject: Re: RI Maths Competition
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 am 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

sally wrote:
Anyone know what is this competition abt or any of your kid take part in it before?

txs

Hi,

If I am not wrong, this is a Maths competition organized by RI for primary school students. The school will select the students for the competition. 1st round is done online, with time limit, at the individual primary school. Questions are very high order and difficult. 2nd round will be conducted at RI.

Post subject: Re: RI Maths Competition
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:33 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

lizawa wrote:
sally wrote:

txs

Hi,

If I am not wrong, this is a Maths competition organized by RI for primary school students. The school will select the students for the competition. 1st round is done online, with time limit, at the individual primary school. Questions are very high order and difficult. 2nd round will be conducted at RI.

Hi, Tx for the info. My boy is being told by his maths olympiad teacher that he will be representing his school next year to take part. Just wonder if he did well, will it help for his DSA next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:35 am 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Any of these big scale competition will be useful when it comes to DSA. He should also go for the Maths Olympiad Competition organized by HCI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:41 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

lizawa wrote:
Any of these big scale competition will be useful when it comes to DSA. He should also go for the Maths Olympiad Competition organized by HCI.

Hi Lizawa, Thank. Yes, the school already start preparing them for the HCI competition. But from what I know is that must score sliver and about then help. His wish get selected to NUS High and working towards it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:25 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

hello;D

i took part in both the RI math competition & the HCI math olympiad 2/3 years ago.
the RI math competition was really tough, like most of my peers, I received the participation cert. even my friend who usually tops the math olympiad in singapore (currently ranked as 7th/8th in singapore for math olympiads) got participation only. however, surprisingly, one of my friend actually managed to get a cert of merit even though he usually doesnt do well in math olympiads.
dn expect to answer all the questions in the competition, as it is really quite hard.

the HCI math olympiad, for me, turned out to be surprisingly well-done. I received silver for that,and most of my peers got bronze, quite a few got gold & platinum too. mainly I targeted on the no. sequence questions. eg. the formula type of questions during the competition.

yupp that's all abt my experience. gd luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:00 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Hi

Thank for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:51 pm 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

anyone has tried math olympiad/competition math clases for enrichment? How do you know whether your kids can cope with this type of higher order math training?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:57 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

We have been to the one at NUS : http://sms.math.nus.edu.sg/Enrichment/E ... px#Primary
He was quite excited after the course.
But in my opinion, if the child has no interest or aptitude in Maths, this will be a waste of time and money. It was $150. There are many classses conducted but out of so many, one a handful end up doing well.

There are increasingly many centres conducting such courses and I think they are making tons of money out of this. And I do know of children who still don't make it despite going for the enrichment. The school will always advertise the list of winners they have produced. For example 10 winners out of 300 students is not a lot. But a lot of revenue for the centre.
So exercise your discretion before you part with the money!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:14 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Thanks wiimum. My intention was more to expose the kid to creative maths, so she can pick up some interesting skills set rather than school curriculum based topics only. I went to the NUS website but it seems very serious. So far, realised that there are quite some enrichment centres that offer such courses. One interesting centre that i chanced upon in this forum was 'Simply Smart'. Anyone has tried this?