When do you appeal?

When do you appeal?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

When do you appeal?

Postby skyjuice » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:16 pm

If we want to apply for a school that does not offer DSA and primarily takes in only their feeder kids, do we appeal when PSLE results are released? Or should we put that school as option 1 in school choices?
We're leaving for vacation on the 26th Nov morning. We hope to get everything done before we leave. So would appreciate any insights anyone may have.
Thanks!
skyjuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: When do you appeal?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:43 pm

skyjuice wrote:If we want to apply for a school that does not offer DSA and primarily takes in only their feeder kids, do we appeal when PSLE results are released? Or should we put that school as option 1 in school choices?
We're leaving for vacation on the 26th Nov morning. We hope to get everything done before we leave. So would appreciate any insights anyone may have.
Thanks!


that means you are going by the standard S1 posting route

anyway no need to discuss about DSA anymore because the DSA season is over for this year.

hence, you should put the school of choice as first choice...you can do that via internet as result will be out on 25 Nov thursday

S1 posting result will be out on 22 Dec and be prepared to lodge an appeal letter with the school of choice immediately, once the posting result is out on the internet and IF you did not get in

first choice should be your ideal school of choice

second choice should be your NEXT choice of school - if you don't mind too much to stay for 4 years in case appeal not successful.

for example : your ideal school A may need 245 to get in, but your child only got 230

hence first choice put school A, and second choice put in the school with around COP of 230, based on your normal selection criteria (culture, distance, etc)
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: When do you appeal?

Postby skyjuice » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:54 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:that means you are going by the standard S1 posting route

anyway no need to discuss about DSA anymore because the DSA season is over for this year.

hence, you should put the school of choice as first choice...you can do that via internet as result will be out on 25 Nov thursday

S1 posting result will be out on 22 Dec and be prepared to lodge an appeal letter with the school of choice immediately, once the posting result is out on the internet and IF you did not get in

first choice should be your ideal school of choice

second choice should be your NEXT choice of school - if you don't mind too much to stay for 4 years in case appeal not successful.

for example : your ideal school A may need 245 to get in, but your child only got 230

hence first choice put school A, and second choice put in the school with around COP of 230, based on your normal selection criteria (culture, distance, etc)


Thanks. If we wish to appeal to the school where DSA was unsuccessful, should we do it at release of PSLE result or S1 posting?
skyjuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: When do you appeal?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:01 pm

skyjuice wrote:
Thanks. If we wish to appeal to the school where DSA was unsuccessful, should we do it at release of PSLE result or S1 posting?


Now that you mentioned it was to appeal to a school that you failed your DSA, then it should be done on PSLE result day, but the school will tell you that they won't know the COP for this year's PSLE

You originally said the school does not offer DSA, primarily takes in feeder students. It is not the same as you having failed to get an DSA offer from the school.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: When do you appeal?

Postby skyjuice » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:02 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
skyjuice wrote:
Thanks. If we wish to appeal to the school where DSA was unsuccessful, should we do it at release of PSLE result or S1 posting?


Now that you mentioned it was to appeal to a school that you failed your DSA, then it should be done on PSLE result day, but the school will tell you that they won't know the COP for this year's PSLE

You originally said the school does not offer DSA, primarily takes in feeder students. It is not the same as you having failed to get an DSA offer from the school.


Sorry for the confusion. I actually hv 2 schools in mind. One doesn't do the DSA exercise cos primarily takes in only their feeder kids. So I wonder should we just walk in on Results Release day and apply for entry...

The other school is where we were unsuccessful in DSA application.
skyjuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:19 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: When do you appeal?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:05 am

skyjuice wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
skyjuice wrote:
Thanks. If we wish to appeal to the school where DSA was unsuccessful, should we do it at release of PSLE result or S1 posting?


Now that you mentioned it was to appeal to a school that you failed your DSA, then it should be done on PSLE result day, but the school will tell you that they won't know the COP for this year's PSLE

You originally said the school does not offer DSA, primarily takes in feeder students. It is not the same as you having failed to get an DSA offer from the school.


Sorry for the confusion. I actually hv 2 schools in mind. One doesn't do the DSA exercise cos primarily takes in only their feeder kids. So I wonder should we just walk in on Results Release day and apply for entry...

The other school is where we were unsuccessful in DSA application.


since you did not get any DSA Offer, you will have to take part in the S1 posting exercise
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: When do you appeal?

Postby jtoh » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:42 am

skyjuice wrote:If we want to apply for a school that does not offer DSA and primarily takes in only their feeder kids, do we appeal when PSLE results are released? Or should we put that school as option 1 in school choices?
We're leaving for vacation on the 26th Nov morning. We hope to get everything done before we leave. So would appreciate any insights anyone may have.
Thanks!


As allocation of schools during S1 Centralized Posting is based on merit, if you don't get your 1st choice school, you'll be given your 2nd choice etc... before the student whose PSLE aggregate is lower than yours.

So, you should place the school of your choice as 1st choice in the S1 posting exercise.

Some schools will not entertain appeals before the posting results are out. What's there to appeal for if you haven't applied yet?

What you might want to think about is getting a TRANSFER in the event that you are unsuccessful in your posting.
jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10553
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 78


Re: When do you appeal?

Postby skyjuice » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:23 pm

jtoh wrote:
skyjuice wrote:If we want to apply for a school that does not offer DSA and primarily takes in only their feeder kids, do we appeal when PSLE results are released? Or should we put that school as option 1 in school choices?
We're leaving for vacation on the 26th Nov morning. We hope to get everything done before we leave. So would appreciate any insights anyone may have.
Thanks!


As allocation of schools during S1 Centralized Posting is based on merit, if you don't get your 1st choice school, you'll be given your 2nd choice etc... before the student whose PSLE aggregate is lower than yours.

So, you should place the school of your choice as 1st choice in the S1 posting exercise.

Some schools will not entertain appeals before the posting results are out. What's there to appeal for if you haven't applied yet?

What you might want to think about is getting a TRANSFER in the event that you are unsuccessful in your posting.


Thanks, Jtoh. I guess that's probably the only thing to do , on posting day.
skyjuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:19 pm
Total Likes: 0




Return to Secondary Schools - Selection