Will the 2012 PSLE Maths be difficult? (Page 8)

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

forzaitalia20 wrote:
A distant relative told me recently that her daughter's tution centre said to expect about 10 questions that are nowhere to be found in usual textbook syllabus in PSLE maths each year. I assume what she meant is questions that are structured differently, but still within the general topics covered in textbook (area, ratio, angels, etc.) Anyway, I didn't clarify further with her as I was rushing for time.

Anyone know anything similar to such comments? I find it bizzare but won't want to miss out on any info that may help.

Frankly speaking, MOE and SEAB does not test anything that are out of syllabus. Whatever concepts that your child learnt in school will be more than sufficient to attempt these questions. However, these questions are phrased in ways that are not commonly found in school and past year papers.

They require the same concept skills but a out-of-box thinking skills. Therefore we come back to the point that your child must have a good mastery of the concept. Students who simply do well from the "practice makes perfect" method just have to seat back and lose these points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:28 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

livewith_vanilla wrote:
Hi parents !

Dun be :shock: :x :?: when it seems that your DD/DS teachers have finished their 6A books and practices ! It's normal. My teacher also rushed through. She didn't even teach. She taught the p6 new topics but other than that we were on our own. Her homework was very vague and like this:

Complete as much as you can for 6A maths workbook and homework book
Complete your editing and synthesis and transformation book
Complete as many practice papers as you can.

yeah, so basically, we ditched our social studies and music for academics. I only remember having music lessons for the first term ? Social studies for first half of the year.

After that it was English,Maths,Science,MT and PE. Just that. No Health Ed either.

After the June hols it was just basically finishing the correction for the books and starting on outside school papers

By prelims, we were doing purely notes,revision and practice papers.

After PSLE, freedom. :)

Your kids will get used to it. It took me about a month to adjust. Now, I miss the rushing times. :D
i miss the rushing time! and also psle!! those time was awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PSLE is a once in a lifetime experience. It is the biggest opportunity to get into a top Sec School, and everyone has only 1 chance. (:

doublesmile10 wrote:
livewith_vanilla wrote:
Hi parents !

Dun be :shock: :x :?: when it seems that your DD/DS teachers have finished their 6A books and practices ! It's normal. My teacher also rushed through. She didn't even teach. She taught the p6 new topics but other than that we were on our own. Her homework was very vague and like this:

Complete as much as you can for 6A maths workbook and homework book
Complete your editing and synthesis and transformation book
Complete as many practice papers as you can.

yeah, so basically, we ditched our social studies and music for academics. I only remember having music lessons for the first term ? Social studies for first half of the year.

After that it was English,Maths,Science,MT and PE. Just that. No Health Ed either.

After the June hols it was just basically finishing the correction for the books and starting on outside school papers

By prelims, we were doing purely notes,revision and practice papers.

After PSLE, freedom. :)

Your kids will get used to it. It took me about a month to adjust. Now, I miss the rushing times. :D
i miss the rushing time! and also psle!! those time was awesome!

Post subject: GAT Test
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:49 am 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

My DS is doing PSLE 2011. Am planning to apply for DSA. Any suggestions on how can prep him for GAT test especially the one from RI/ACSI

Post subject: Re: Will the 2011 PSLE Maths be difficult?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

From the rumours I heard, PSLE math is one year easy, the other year difficult. 2010 math was easy so I think 2011 math is a little stressful then. Be prepared! But, as long as the child has confidence & the right techniques, then i think its easier. Using ratio+algebra+cross-multiply is my dd's fave!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

MOE Hater wrote:
James Ang wrote:
Who in P6 this year can solve this 2009 PSLE Maths (5 marks) question? (*Page 72, Q16 in the new PSLE Maths 5 year series.)

Jim bought some chocolates and gave half of it to Ken. Ken bought some sweets and gave half of it to Jim. Jim ate 12 sweets and Ken ate 18 chocolates. The ratio of Jim's sweets to chocolates became 1 : 7 and the ratio of Ken's sweets to chocolates became 1:4. How many sweets did Ken buy?. (PSLE 2009, 5 marks)

The model methoid is a pain. just use ratio and basic algebra and there u hv it. I was in P6 last year and i solved that question in 4 minutes munching on popcorn. Most of my friends cud do it too. dun understand the fuss over the question :roll:

What is the answer for this qn? Tia
May I know the answer? Is it 60?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

James Ang wrote:
Who in P6 this year can solve this 2009 PSLE Maths (5 marks) question? (*Page 72, Q16 in the new PSLE Maths 5 year series.)

Jim bought some chocolates and gave half of it to Ken. Ken bought some sweets and gave half of it to Jim. Jim ate 12 sweets and Ken ate 18 chocolates. The ratio of Jim's sweets to chocolates became 1 : 7 and the ratio of Ken's sweets to chocolates became 1:4. How many sweets did Ken buy?. (PSLE 2009, 5 marks)

*mouth drops open*
*tries to solve*
*Gets answer using algebra*
HAHA I'M A CHEATER!
This is an awesome question!

A few tips:

List down all given info systematically
Use a bit of algebra if you want
DRAW MODELS. This is important. The previous cohorts did not do that and did not score as well as they should have.

Good Luck to all P6's

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:54 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

im a p6 student here..well i think this year's math will be difficult..but its a good chance for the students better in math to score :) (happy)
btw the 2009 psle math (5 marks) question pg 72 Q16 is okay..can solve easily

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:06 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

yingxuan0806 wrote:
im a p6 student here..well i think this year's math will be difficult..but its a good chance for the students better in math to score :) (happy)
btw the 2009 psle math (5 marks) question pg 72 Q16 is okay..can solve easily

heyy! me too! :wink:

Good luck! I also think that maths will be hard. I aim to score about 80+ (not easy)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

iFruit wrote:
MOE Hater wrote:
James Ang wrote:

The model methoid is a pain. just use ratio and basic algebra and there u hv it. I was in P6 last year and i solved that question in 4 minutes munching on popcorn. Most of my friends cud do it too. dun understand the fuss over the question :roll:

If I am not wrong, the answer is 44. Like he said, the model method is really confusing. Ratio and algebra is the fastest way to do. :smile:
Bravo!! Someone is calling emperor has no clothes!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next