How to get rid of bathroom flies??

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby cotton candy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 am

I am "plagued" by little black flies in my bathroom... They seem to come from the shower drain. I have sprayed insecticide into the drain constantly but they still come back. Anybody got any ideas on how to get rid of them permanently? :?:
cotton candy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby carebear » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:17 am

Maybe you can try pouring bleach into the shower drain and let it stand for about 15 min before rinsing it off.
carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cotton candy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks carebear!
I have bought drain cleaner solution from Homefix and followed the cleaning instructions accordingly. But the flies will come back after 1 to 2 days. I will try bleach but not sure if it is strong enough to terminate them permanently.. It is so disturbing... :(
cotton candy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:26 pm

They could have flown in from elsewhere. I realised that my new place has a lot of such flies. Called the town council to do some fogging of the estate and it was better.
mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lostbunny » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:30 pm

I am not sure if our bathroom is "attacked" by those flies because of the recent wet weather. At one stage my bathroom also a lor of these flies. Then they disappeared and now that the weather has turned cooler, they appeared again!
lostbunny
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby auntieM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:53 pm

We use dettol on those drainage areas... so far no such problem...
a little goes a long way... :wink:
auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:14 pm

I am using Mr. Muscle drain declogger once a month for all water outlets (sink, shower, floor) in the bathroom. No more flies prob.
Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby markfch » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Those flies are called drain flies as they are typically found in drains. They start breeding once they hatched from the eggs so the only way to exterminate them is to find their breeding place and 'fix' it. They are attracted by light and usually lay their eggs along the drainage pipes in shower area.
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Red_Snow » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:43 pm

I used to hv the same problem. My kids were so scared of those flies. They r small black worm before turning into the fly. I use toilet cleaner n they won't die. Then I just pour hot boiling water on the worm everyday, usually they live near the drainage n shower area. Now no more flies n I still pour hot water every now n then to prevent it from coming back. Maybe u can try using hot water also. Look for the place where the worm live.
Red_Snow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Red_Snow » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:52 pm

I noticed that it's very easy to kill the fly but not the worm. For the fly u just hv to spray it with water n they will die already. But I use the bleach, toilet cleaner before n the worm still crawling. And only hot water will kill it. But must be boiling hot. Tried use hot water from the flask before n not all will die.
Red_Snow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time