English Assessment Books (Page 38)

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Forum rules

Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: English Assessment Books
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:32 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

janet_lee88 wrote:
care07 wrote:
jedamum wrote:
Champion,
which do you think is better or more challenging? Mastering Cloze or Cloze Practice?
thanks.

My DS just finished the Grammar & Vocab in the Mastering Cloze for P5. Not too difficult but the Comprehension Cloze will be a challenge for him.

My son doesn't have problems with grammar & vocab cloze but comprehension is a big problem...switched to P6 as I feel it's better for him to get used to the difficulty now than next year.
I think I'll go for the assessment which gives explanations. That should be Cloze Practice. Champion, does this page belong to Cloze Practice Image

looks like compre cloze is the killer. mine only in P3 :(
think i should get P4 cloze practice to use for now and next year...or maybe should just stick to P3 as standard lower? :sweat:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:43 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

I've been told by my friends that P5 and P6 EL standard is the same. My friend's son is in P6 this year and she told me it's very tough...I'm facing it already. Synthesis is tough and Compre cloze is a killer...have had to get my son to practice more on synthesis now. As for compre cloze, it's hard to find a 'hint'. If he's lucky, maybe can 'find' 3 from the passage further down. Sometimes I will do 1-2 different themes and then highlight the 'hints' (or answers) from the passage to show him. I hate themes like meteorites.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:32 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

jedamum wrote:
care07 wrote:
jedamum wrote:
Champion,
which do you think is better or more challenging? Mastering Cloze or Cloze Practice?
thanks.

My DS just finished the Grammar & Vocab in the Mastering Cloze for P5. Not too difficult but the Comprehension Cloze will be a challenge for him.

care07,
thanks! Actually i have the Mastering Cloze. my boy flunk most of the Compre Cloze passages so i :faint: and now trying to find out the standard of Cloze Practice as compare to Mastering Cloze to see if it is time to panic! :sweat:

My DS so far done 3 of the Comprehension cloze, marks is like just pass the border line, 8-10/15. Always reminded him to go thru the passages 1x before filling in d blank, but he is too stubborn to do that. Haiz.... :stupid:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:54 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Hi care07

Re Comprehension Cloze my DS1 is stubborn too, and does not always read cataphorically - i.e read the whole passage to get the gist of what is going on, and to then relate the missing words to the context of the rest of the of the whole passage. (Eg, a missing word in sentence 1 can be found by establising a link to a cause/event in Sentence 2 or 3).

Simple and regular practise will bring him on leaps and bounds. My DS1 who struggled now does questions from this site, note, demo comp cloze questions available for your DS to try. http://www.acingenglish.com/.

Also, make sure he is hot on parts of speech, especially conjunctions and prepositions - I struggle with these too. :oops:

Regards
O

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:32 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Thanks Optimistforum,

Will let my DS try out from this website.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:12 pm 
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Hi Mummies,

pls advise which book is good (P3 onwards) for composition and also for Oral exams in english?

There are so many available in market and i always get confused.. :scratchhead:

Thanks in advance..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Hi

I am looking for Vocab and/or cloze books which may have the following styles of questions. Are there any publications available?

VOCAB STYLE

Change two letters in the word "tree" to form a word that is similiar to the word "unfettered". The answer is "free".

Or find the missing meanings

clock noise ( _ _ _ _ ) parasite - the answer is "tick"

CLOZE STYLE

I crossed the street and stood _ n my yard, looking back at my friend's gate. It h _ _ been a perfectly good day. We chased a rabbit, caught fish, and romped in the meadow. It was fun u _ _ _ l Tad messed it up. I was mad at him for disobeying my warning. I was mad at him for being mean and insensitive. He played a joke _ _ d overdid it. With a sigh, I headed for the house. Maybe things w _ u _ d be better tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 am 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

mother777 wrote:
Hi Mummies,

pls advise which book is good (P3 onwards) for composition and also for Oral exams in english?

There are so many available in market and i always get confused.. :scratchhead:

Thanks in advance..

Hi mother777,
I have yet to find a good composition book.
For Oral, books by Victoria publications are quite popular. There isn't really many choices available in Popular for both Compo and Oral.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:23 am 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

optimistforum wrote:
Hi

I am looking for Vocab and/or cloze books which may have the following styles of questions. Are there any publications available?

VOCAB STYLE

Change two letters in the word "tree" to form a word that is similiar to the word "unfettered". The answer is "free".

Or find the missing meanings

clock noise ( _ _ _ _ ) parasite - the answer is "tick"

CLOZE STYLE

I crossed the street and stood _ n my yard, looking back at my friend's gate. It h _ _ been a perfectly good day. We chased a rabbit, caught fish, and romped in the meadow. It was fun u _ _ _ l Tad messed it up. I was mad at him for disobeying my warning. I was mad at him for being mean and insensitive. He played a joke _ _ d overdid it. With a sigh, I headed for the house. Maybe things w _ u _ d be better tomorrow.

Hi optimistforum,
I have not come across the above format for cloze passage assessment books. The closest I have seen is, where they will give a clue on the words by giving you a jumbled up word.
Example:
With a sigh, I headed for the house. Maybe things __________(owldu) be better tomorrow.

Can't remember the title though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:27 am 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Hi Parents,
Are comprehension cloze part of P3 syllabus? It is not in my child's exam structure list. Any idea how many marks will be allocated for comprehension cloze for upper primary/PSLE?
Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 178  Next