Combination of subjects for secondary three

Combination of subjects for secondary three

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Combination of subjects for secondary three

Postby tianzhu » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi

I am not familiar with JC and University requirements and wish to seek some advice on combination of subjects for secondary three.

I am toying with the idea of letting my kid pursue his interest by acceding to his request of taking three humanities subjects. (yet to check with his school).

Will this affect his subject combination in JC?

Best wishes
tianzhu
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 3776
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:10 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby emerald » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:19 pm

I would like to know more too, especially what are the considerations parents/child made that lead to the choice of the subjects combination.
User avatar
emerald
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby twilight » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I don't think 3 humanities subject is an option offered in many schools. How many science subjects will he be taking then? Combined science? As far as I know, most JC, especially the top few do allow combined science to take H2 sciences in JC if they have obtained A1 or A2. However if they had offered pure sciences, they would only need to have passed that subject in O level. Most humanities subject do not have much prerequisite, for example history and geography, except english literature, where you need to have distinction or B3 in english, and econs where you need to have obtained a certain grade for math.
twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:53 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Postby koguma » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:29 am

tianzhu wrote:Hi

I am not familiar with JC and University requirements and wish to seek some advice on combination of subjects for secondary three.

I am toying with the idea of letting my kid pursue his interest by acceding to his request of taking three humanities subjects. (yet to check with his school).

Will this affect his subject combination in JC?

Best wishes


I think you need to ask your child what he likes to do in the future, before deciding what combinations to do in Sec 3.

In JC, you need to do contrast subjects. Hence your child can do Arts subjects like Econ, Lit, Hist, Geog etc, but there must be a Science subject which can be Maths.

So far, I only know of one school that offers 3 humanities subjects (Geography, Economics & Combined Humanities (SS+Hist)). However the school only offer it for one year as I don't see such combination again in the following years. Even good schools like SCGS, MGS only offer 3 Pure Sci and 2 Humanities combinations and not 3 Hum subjects.

You also need to check with the school what combinations they offer. You may not get to study what you like if there is manpower constraints in the school. Not many schools allow students to do 2 Lang, 3 Sci, 2 Maths, 2 Hum. Most neighbourhood schools only offer 2 Lang, 3 Sci, 2 Maths, 1 Hum to their top students.
koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Postby DadOfGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:42 pm

tianzhu wrote:Hi

I am not familiar with JC and University requirements and wish to seek some advice on combination of subjects for secondary three.

I am toying with the idea of letting my kid pursue his interest by acceding to his request of taking three humanities subjects. (yet to check with his school).

Will this affect his subject combination in JC?

Best wishes


Once you decide to take Humanities heavy route, Engineering option is shut-down on you.

Physics is key subject. None of the Engg course allow without physics. If you take Chem & biology , you can still enter some of the enginenering course . but not all.

I suggest following combination for humanies

1) English
2) MT/HTM
3) A- Maths
4) E- Matths
5) Litrature
6) SS+Geogrophy
7)Chem
8) Biology

This way you are both science & humanities student. By dropping Physics , you are clearly pting out of engineering, but leave some other engineering course like bio-tech, pharmacy, Medicine, Dentistry.

Litrature given you option of going in Teching/Physocology( SMU course)/Law.

This is best way , if child's bend is towards languages
DadOfGirl
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:02 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Postby Millicent » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 am

DadOfGirl wrote:

I suggest following combination for humanies

1) English
2) MT/HTM
3) A- Maths
4) E- Matths
5) Litrature
6) SS+Geogrophy
7)Chem
8) Biology

This way you are both science & humanities student. By dropping Physics , you are clearly pting out of engineering, but leave some other engineering course like bio-tech, pharmacy, Medicine, Dentistry.

Litrature given you option of going in Teching/Physocology( SMU course)/Law.

This is best way , if child's bend is towards languages


Hi,

My DS who is in Sec 3 now is taking the above double science, double humanities subject combination. Coming from a triple science and Literature background myself, I had encouraged him to take Literature and Bio as he likes both subjects and demonstrates potential to do well in them. He is happy with his choice. :D
Millicent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:41 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Postby cheese » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:44 pm

My dd who will be sec 3 next yr had chosen Biology and Chemistry and one humanities as her school does not hv double humanities. Heard that without Physics will be lesser choice in JC. Is that so, what are the avaiable courses in JC or poly? Pls advise. Thanks.
cheese
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Postby MandyMummy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:19 pm

cheese wrote:My dd who will be sec 3 next yr had chosen Biology and Chemistry and one humanities as her school does not hv double humanities. Heard that without Physics will be lesser choice in JC. Is that so, what are the avaiable courses in JC or poly? Pls advise. Thanks.

Most of the science students in JCs will be taking 2 sciences. I don't think not taking Physics will mean less choice. Of course, your dd cannot take H2 physics since she does not have O level physics.
The subject combination that she can take in JC (science stream) could be
Chem, bio, Maths and 1 humanities
Math, chem, and 2 humanities etc.

It may be useful for her to check out if physics is a pre-requisite for her desired course in the university and so whether she should be taking physics instead of biology as one of her sciences.
You can refer to this link for NUS.
http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/local/p ... s.html#top
:smile:
MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:51 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Postby cheese » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:23 pm

MandyMummy wrote:
cheese wrote:My dd who will be sec 3 next yr had chosen Biology and Chemistry and one humanities as her school does not hv double humanities. Heard that without Physics will be lesser choice in JC. Is that so, what are the avaiable courses in JC or poly? Pls advise. Thanks.

Most of the science students in JCs will be taking 2 sciences. I don't think not taking Physics will mean less choice. Of course, your dd cannot take H2 physics since she does not have O level physics.
The subject combination that she can take in JC (science stream) could be
Chem, bio, Maths and 1 humanities
Math, chem, and 2 humanities etc.

It may be useful for her to check out if physics is a pre-requisite for her desired course in the university and so whether she should be taking physics instead of biology as one of her sciences.
You can refer to this link for NUS.
http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/local/p ... s.html#top
:smile:


Thks MandyMummy. She had no interest and confidence in Physics. She will also be taking Add Maths Next Yr. :smile:
cheese
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Postby MandyMummy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:49 pm

cheese wrote:
MandyMummy wrote:
cheese wrote:My dd who will be sec 3 next yr had chosen Biology and Chemistry and one humanities as her school does not hv double humanities. Heard that without Physics will be lesser choice in JC. Is that so, what are the avaiable courses in JC or poly? Pls advise. Thanks.

Most of the science students in JCs will be taking 2 sciences. I don't think not taking Physics will mean less choice. Of course, your dd cannot take H2 physics since she does not have O level physics.
The subject combination that she can take in JC (science stream) could be
Chem, bio, Maths and 1 humanities
Math, chem, and 2 humanities etc.

It may be useful for her to check out if physics is a pre-requisite for her desired course in the university and so whether she should be taking physics instead of biology as one of her sciences.
You can refer to this link for NUS.
http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/local/p ... s.html#top
:smile:


Thks MandyMummy. She had no interest and confidence in Physics. She will also be taking Add Maths Next Yr. :smile:

Oic, taking Add Maths is good as she will find the transition to H2 Math easier with a stronger Math foundation. All the best to your dd. :smile:
MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:51 pm
Total Likes: 0




Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support