My first skool at Haig Road
I got quite a good impression of this child care. This is the only my first skool that i have visited. I went to other child care located behind City Plaza, charges $500 after subsidy. I don't like the enviroment. Very cramp , very old.
What i see and feel about My Frist Skool at Haig Road is
1. spacious and non air-cond environment
2. children are exposed to lots of arts and crafts. This is essential to train a child's motor skill, creativitiy, listening to instructions.... However, i am not sure how the children are being taught to do crafts. We can use crafts to teach a child loads of stuff.
3. They use RIDBY readers and phonics are taught for nursery group. I am very curious how the phonics are being taught and what book do they use , however, the teacher has no time to tell me further.
4. Siblings may not have chance to see each other or play together. Is separated by age. Eg: toddler, playgroup, nursery, k1 and k2.
5. Enrichment lessons are chargeable and only attend after their nap, that is after 4pm.
6. Children are taught in smaller group' a class size divide by 2. Eg: for any age, children are separated in 2 groups. One group attend chinese lesson, the other one would attend English at the same time. Then later on they swap the class. The group that attend chinese, now attend English, vise versa.
I visited this centre few years back and didn't have good impression about it. I felt that children are not prepared well for primary school, alot of idle time, play and play.
I am not sure how is the standard now. But to what i see, my first skool has improved a lot.
This centre is fully booked for this year and next year intake.
I did make a call to Bedok and feel that the people there are warmth.
This is my personal comments. Hope it helps.
Went this afternoon without making any appt, a K teacher walked us ard the place.
The kids r having lunch, were having rice with some soup.
When i ask to see the curriculum, she said it's not for the public & it's prep by HQ for all the outlets
The teacher showed us the weekly teaching schedule for toddler class, for both english & chinese class. But saw that the schedule for the english class for this week is senses for the whole week
the chinese class is more detailed, this week is all animal theme, mon = 小鸟 etc
When we moved on to the the N1 class, i saw the weekly schedule is exactly the same for the toddler class too, all abt senses the whole week
Was told alphabet will only start in N1, though that might b a little late?
Saw a K2 work pasted on the display board, it was a 2 long sentences with a drawing. Was quite impressed until i noticed the pencil writing under the pen's. The teacher then told me that they will write then let the students trace after their writing
I cannot imagine in this case how r these kids gng to cope at P1 when they can't write?
Then juz b4 we were leaving, saw an aunty sponging 1 of the kids, she then told us that the kid is sick. But bcoz it's their nap time, i noticed they din separate the sick kid away from the rest