Comparing Chinese Enrichment (Primary/Preschool) (Page 138)

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 229  Next

Which is your preferred Chinese enrichment programme?
Apple Pie Language 1%  1%  [ 7 ]
Berries 39%  39%  [ 261 ]
Busy Bees Learning Centre 4%  4%  [ 27 ]
Eduplus Language Centre 4%  4%  [ 27 ]
Hua Language Centre 3%  3%  [ 21 ]
Jiang Education Centre 6%  6%  [ 42 ]
Kumon 2%  2%  [ 12 ]
Molin Tutorial Centre 3%  3%  [ 23 ]
Skylace Language School 1%  1%  [ 7 ]
Tien Hsia Language School 17%  17%  [ 111 ]
Yuquan Language School 3%  3%  [ 17 ]
Hokkien Huay Kuan Arts & Cultural Troupe 4%  4%  [ 26 ]
Beijing Language School 4%  4%  [ 25 ]
Story Island 1%  1%  [ 9 ]
Xue Ni Language Centre 2%  2%  [ 10 ]
Han Language Centre 6%  6%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 664
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:08 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

tamarind wrote:
phankao wrote:
tamarind wrote:

BTW I did not teach both my kids anything except A,B,Cs before they were 3 years old, and I never use flashcards. I am lazy in comparison to many other parents. :wink:

But you were so hardworking after that. Have to put in extra work.

I didn't teach ABC either.

I spent only 30 mins a day teaching each of them between the ages of 3 to 6. :wink:

As a full time working mommy, I simply cannot afford to spend more time.

Very long compared to my 4mins/day, lor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

In the 四五快读 books, the author wrote about a baby. His parents started to teach him to read Chinese words when he was only 3 months. They simply pasted many words on the wall, then just pointed to each word and read to him everyday.

By the time the baby was 1 year old, he already knew many words, and he was able to find and read the words that he knew from the newspapers.

The author also wrote about a baby girl who could recognize 1500 Chinese characters before she knew how to talk. She was able to pick out the correct card from a big pile of word cards when tested. This is really amazing.

The author wrote that if parents have the patience and persistence, and use scientific methods (flashcard DVDs, point and read, etc), then the kids will be able to read independently from a very young age.

Last edited by tamarind on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:24 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

tamarind wrote:
The author wrote that if parents have the patience and persistence, and use scientific methods (flashcard DVDs, point and read, etc), then the kids will be able to read independently from a very young age.

haha....i have the persistence, but not the patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:29 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

phankao wrote:
tamarind wrote:

haha....i have the persistence, but not the patience.

Not many parents are as persistent as you :wink:

The author also wrote that many kids are not interested in learning words. Parents should just let them progress at their own pace, and do not force them to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

tamarind wrote:
The author also wrote that many kids are not interested in learning words. Parents should just let them progress at their own pace, and do not force them to learn.

Babies don't have a choice. That's why it's so much easier for them to pick up. It's the same as the Suzuki Violin learning principle.... Suzuki picked up on what he called the "Mother-Tongue" method. It was built on his observation that young kids can speak even the most complicated languages effortlessly. And no kid refuses to learn his "mother tongue", hence exposure, preferably from birth, works marvellously. And that's why it worked with that baby in the "si wu kuai du" book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:55 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

phankao wrote:
tamarind wrote:

Babies don't have a choice. That's why it's so much easier for them to pick up. It's the same as the Suzuki Violin learning principle.... Suzuki picked up on what he called the "Mother-Tongue" method. It was built on his observation that young kids can speak even the most complicated languages effortlessly. And no kid refuses to learn his "mother tongue", hence exposure, preferably from birth, works marvellously. And that's why it worked with that baby in the "si wu kuai du" book.

:| My older brother refused to speak until he was 4 years old. My mother did talk to him very often when he was a baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

tamarind wrote:
phankao wrote:
tamarind wrote:

:| My older brother refused to speak until he was 4 years old. My mother did talk to him very often when he was a baby.

But he still had to talk eventually right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:44 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

phankao wrote:

Yes. But for this type of baby, no matter how hard the mommy tried, he is not going to show any results at 2 years old.

However, he is now a lecturer of Physics at a university in UK.

Every kid progress at a different pace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

tamarind wrote:
phankao wrote:

Yes. But for this type of baby, no matter how hard the mommy tried, he is not going to show any results at 2 years old.

However, he is now a lecturer of Physics at a university in UK.

Every kid progress at a different pace.

Didn't say anything about showing results at 2years old. Your brother also didn't refuse to learn his "mother tongue", right? As in, the language your mother was speaking with him to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:24 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

I think sending kids to tuition centre is not very idea. I tried a few tuition centre like myhometuition & kumo but none is effective. I turn to private tutor for help as i think one to one is better for kids and frankly speaking, the cost is lower. my kid is learning from a male tutor and he charges $30 per hour. However, i think he has a way with kids & my kid math is improving.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 229  Next