Gan Eng Seng Primary (Page 11)

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gan Eng Seng Primary
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:18 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

hi, any mummy with girl in GES can share more if the enviroment is too "rough" for a girl?

my girl is not a very shy one but there were instances in her K1 where she got bitten by boys in her class, and though i asked her to speak up to teachers and "avoid" those, she still continue to play with them and sort of listening to them :( so i'm quite concern with those stories i heard about GES and puzzled if I should put her there, given that she seems easily influenced and "bullied" by friends.

I'd really appreciate if someone can share some experience/feedback with me. If it's too sensitive, please PM me. I need to register for my girl next week and I still scratching my head between GES and APS. GES is very convenient for me those cos it's 5 mins walk from my house.

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:20 pm 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

desperatemummy wrote:
hi, any mummy with girl in GES can share more if the enviroment is too "rough" for a girl?

my girl is not a very shy one but there were instances in her K1 where she got bitten by boys in her class, and though i asked her to speak up to teachers and "avoid" those, she still continue to play with them and sort of listening to them :( so i'm quite concern with those stories i heard about GES and puzzled if I should put her there, given that she seems easily influenced and "bullied" by friends.

I'd really appreciate if someone can share some experience/feedback with me. If it's too sensitive, please PM me. I need to register for my girl next week and I still scratching my head between GES and APS. GES is very convenient for me those cos it's 5 mins walk from my house.

Thanks so much!

Hi desperatemummy,

I can totally identify with your apprehension and worry that your little girl may have difficulty fitting in. The truth is that in every school, there are kids
who are more domineering and others more submissive. Bullying incidents are everywhere - be it boy or girl, verbal or physical, in branded/non-branded, new or old school.

I have a very highly introverted boy who doesnt quite speak up and i was worried he couldnt stand up for himself when he entered P1 in GESPS 10 yrs back. There were indeed several cringing and heartaching occasions when I felt he was being "bullied" (not only by a fellow classmate, but also the parents of this kid). Still, he graduated from the school unscathed but most importantly, a little wiser in the art of mixing with others. ;)

I've a friend, wanting to transfer her boy to another school because she felt he was picking up undesirable traits from classmates. I've also heard from others on bullying cases as early as in P1 classes...etc. All from different schools....

I guess a more fool-proof security net you can provide for your girl will be to encourage her to speak up if she feels strongly about something or feels violated. Reassure her that no matter what happens, you will be there to support her. You can always bring up issues with her class teacher if necessary. Afterall, we all learn from experiences, dont we? :smile: I am sure given time, she'll do really fine.

On a side note, you may wish to know that GESPS is currently undergoing renovation which could stretch till mid next yr. So, noise, dust, are inevitable.

All the best!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:30 am 
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

All schools have good and bad students. Just because you heaven't heard or seen anything negative about a school doesn't mean the school has only good students.

BTW, desperatemummy, your girl is a PR, right? I suggest you monitor the registration statistics till the third day before you decide on which school to register with. Historically, GESPS had places in P2CS. Hence registering during P2C seemed a safe bet. However, the school conducted balloting for SCs in the 1-2 km category during P2C last year. Not sure about this year but so far, the take-up rate is quite similar to last year. So, you may have to be prepared that your girl will not even have a chance to participate in the balloting. Having said that, it is also possible that APS may draw some parents over, hence leaving GESPS a more favourable school to you, statistically.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Thanks breezy and qms. So your advice is I should wait till the last day then register is it? Does it affect my chance to get in to register on the last day?
Is it better to come to school or I can just do it online? Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:01 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

I have another question. If I register my girl to GES in phase 2c and manage to get in ie confirmed GES in 2c. In Phase 2cS, I change my mind and let's say APS still have vacancy. By then can I withdraw my girl from GES and register with APS?

Thanks for your kind advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:48 am 
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

desperatemummy wrote:
Thanks breezy and qms. So your advice is I should wait till the last day then register is it? Does it affect my chance to get in to register on the last day?
Is it better to come to school or I can just do it online? Thanks!!!

Registration is not on a first-come-first serve basis, so you won't be penalised just because you register on the last day.

Whether to register at the school personally or online, it is entirely up to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 am 
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

desperatemummy wrote:
I have another question. If I register my girl to GES in phase 2c and manage to get in ie confirmed GES in 2c. In Phase 2cS, I change my mind and let's say APS still have vacancy. By then can I withdraw my girl from GES and register with APS?

Go to GESPS during P2CS and withdraw your application. Then, head to APS to apply.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:35 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

qms wrote:
desperatemummy wrote:

Go to GESPS during P2CS and withdraw your application. Then, head to APS to apply.

Hi,

Can I ask what docs are required for withdrawal? Cant be bringing the originals docs there since they are required for registration at the other school of choice?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 am 
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Dino wrote:
Can I ask what docs are required for withdrawal? Cant be bringing the originals docs there since they are required for registration at the other school of choice?

Depends on the school. Some schools require original documents for withdrawals while others don't. Best to call up the school to enquire.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:03 am 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

qms wrote:
Dino wrote:

Depends on the school. Some schools require original documents for withdrawals while others don't. Best to call up the school to enquire.

This is going to be tricky if they want see everything at both sides....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next