[Jurong West] Primary Schools

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2655 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 266  Next

Which is your preferred school in Jurong West?
Boon Lay Garden Primary 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
Corporation Primary 3%  3%  [ 16 ]
Jurong West Primary 8%  8%  [ 42 ]
Juying Primary 3%  3%  [ 14 ]
Lakeside Primary 3%  3%  [ 18 ]
Pioneer Primary 2%  2%  [ 12 ]
Rulang Primary 49%  49%  [ 266 ]
Shuqun Primary 5%  5%  [ 30 ]
West Grove Primary 20%  20%  [ 110 ]
Xingnan Primary 6%  6%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 546
 Post subject: [Jurong West] Primary Schools
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:27 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

[Moderator's Note: For Balloting History of Jurong West schools, click here.]

Hi. Can anyone recommend any school located in Boon Lay area?
I need to register my ger next year for primary school. I'm already running late for volunteer work. I've heard that Nan Hua Primary School is a good school, but its in Clementi area. My house is definitely not within the 1-2 km range. Pls help. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, but Boon Lay is pretty void of good primary schools... you've got a better chance if you stay nearer to Jurong West.

In order of preference:
Rulang
West Grove
Xingnan
Shuqun
Corporation
Jurong West

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:34 am 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Hi.

Thanks for the info.
I was also told that Rulang Primary School is a considerable choice.

Anyway.. thanks again.
Greatly appreciated.

Post subject: [Jurong West] Primary Schools
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:53 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

My son is due to go Primary 1 next yr. My friends have been advising me to put him into a better school so that he will excel (I hope).

In fact, I am tempted to try Rulang which is within 2km but it seems to be quite tough based on the popularity. My concern is that if I missed out the chances then we will end up in Phase 2C supplementary.

The other choices that is within 1km are West Grove, Jurong West, Corporation & Boon Lay Gardens. From the information I gathered in this website, it seems that West Grove & Corporation was in some ranking in 2007. Can anyone give me some advice which one is better?

Another issue is that, I would like to put my son together with his bro currently 2yrs into the same student care/childcare. Does anyone have any recomendation? Preferably, the student care centre provides tuition so that he can be guide in his school work.

I would really appreciate any recommendations as I am feeling the heat burning at my heels. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

You can try for Rulang if you are feeling lucky... but West Grove is not too bad either.

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with an old auntie who blames parents for stressing their kids so much these days that the mental institutions are filling up with kids. I countered by saying that it is the schools that are making the parents do it. She retorted that it is still the parents' fault for sending their children to the "good" schools which guarantees high stress.

I was taken aback by that argument. Cannot deny the truth in those words. Of course the counter argument is that we as parents should not tell our children what they are NOT capable of doing - just because we cannot do it doesn't mean our children can't. But there will definitely be more stress on the children.

Just some food for thought for parents who are now considering where to send their schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:04 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Thanks ChiefKiasu for your reply. I seriously thinking of giving Rulang a miss. Never been lucky with lucky draws in my life.

I share the same feeling as the old auntie when I see my friends doing volunteering work in schools and giving so many extra classes and tution to their children. I even commented that they are giving their children so much stress.

All my friends commented that I am not in Singapore that's why I can't feel the pressure. Our family have been away since my son is 9mths old. We hope to be back next year for his primary school education.

In fact, I never pressure him on his work and never send him to any extra lessons or activities. I think bulk of his time is playing and watching TV after school. No homework No spellings as the Montessori school he is attending believe in making sure the children are happy :?

Initally, my plan is to put him into any primary school that my sister (staying around Lakeside) has chosen as I wanted my niece and my son to be in the same school for convenience. She was thinking of putting her daughter to Lakeside which is within 1km from her place and 2km from my place. The school seems to be very new and don't have track records.

After I read the postings in this forum and the comments from friends and relatives, I am feeling the pressure to send my son to a better school so that he won't fall back too much (according to my friend).

By the way, do you have any recommendation of student care cum childcare with tution services around Jurong West?

Post subject: [Jurong West] Juying vs Xingnan ?
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:45 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Juying vs Xingnan ?

I prefer like to let me child to morning session school. Morning session better for child or afternoon session? Can anyone share with me your information? :roll:

Post subject: Re: Juying vs Xingnan ?
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Sing wrote:
I prefer like to let me child to morning session school. Morning session better for child or afternoon session? Can anyone share with me your information? :roll:

I personally think that morning sessions are better, especially for the P1 classes, so as the kids can build up good habits from the start. Kids are also more fresh in the morning and they have the rest of the day for other activities. Afternoon sessions are right smack in the middle of the day, hot and humid. Kids that have been having afternoon naps since they were born will have a difficult time adjusting.

You are comparing Juying(single session) vs Xingnan(double session) based on this difference? That's a first for me :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

I spoke to this kindergarten principal and she told me that kids concentrate better in the afternoon. But, personally when I was young, I like morning session better because time pass quicker and you feel you have the whole day after school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

phantom wrote:
I spoke to this kindergarten principal and she told me that kids concentrate better in the afternoon. But, personally when I was young, I like morning session better because time pass quicker and you feel you have the whole day after school.

That's strange... because full-day childcare centres are notorious for making their kids sleep for a couple of hours after lunch everyday!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2655 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 266  Next