Methodist Girls' School (Secondary) (Page 7)

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:16 am 
Offline
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 am
Posts: 746
Lynn2010 wrote:
Kiasu singaporean wrote:
Does Anglo-Chinese(Independent) takes in only SBC girls from MGS for its IB programme starting from 2014?



It will be IP from 2013 next year though they will still have the O level track. I think the IP should be for the SBC girls. Full details will be out I think by middle of the year (before the DSA)


Nope. From what I know (we were been briefed few weeks back), IP and SBC are two separate and distinct programmes. IP will be strictly IP (6 year - MGS+ACSI). The school will still retain the SBC programme/classes for their O level track (like now).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 am 
Offline
Councillor
Councillor

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Posts: 10321
keroppi wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:
Kiasu singaporean wrote:
Does Anglo-Chinese(Independent) takes in only SBC girls from MGS for its IB programme starting from 2014?



It will be IP from 2013 next year though they will still have the O level track. I think the IP should be for the SBC girls. Full details will be out I think by middle of the year (before the DSA)


Nope. From what I know (we were been briefed few weeks back), IP and SBC are two separate and distinct programmes. IP will be strictly IP (6 year - MGS+ACSI). The school will still retain the SBC programme/classes for their O level track (like now).


So does that mean that the school will concurrently run three sets of classes:
1) Mainstream (O Level track)
2) SBC (O level track)
3) IP

But wouldn't that make SBC redundant because presumably the majority of students who qualify for SBC would prefer to be on the IP track, given that SBC is an O level track programme?

I thought it would be such that those in SBC would be the ones to be placed on the IP track?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 am 
Offline
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 4072
jtoh wrote:
keroppi wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:
It will be IP from 2013 next year though they will still have the O level track. I think the IP should be for the SBC girls. Full details will be out I think by middle of the year (before the DSA)


Nope. From what I know (we were been briefed few weeks back), IP and SBC are two separate and distinct programmes. IP will be strictly IP (6 year - MGS+ACSI). The school will still retain the SBC programme/classes for their O level track (like now).


So does that mean that the school will concurrently run three sets of classes:
1) Mainstream (O Level track)
2) SBC (O level track)
3) IP

But wouldn't that make SBC redundant because presumably the majority of students who qualify for SBC would prefer to be on the IP track, given that SBC is an O level track programme?

I thought it would be such that those in SBC would be the ones to be placed on the IP track?

From what I understood from the communication at the end of last year (my daughter is no longer in MGS this year), those in the SBC class this year may apply to join the IP in Sec 3. This application will take place at the end of Sec 2, and the wording makes it seem that it is not automatic. I don't know if this only applies to this batch because the IP was only supposed to start in the following year. Maybe future SBC classes automatically join IP?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:32 am 
Offline
Councillor
Councillor

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Posts: 10321
Thanks slmkhoo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:49 am 
Offline
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 556
This is how it's supposed to go:

2012: Year 1 SBC and other Year 1 intake. Students across this batch will enter Year 3 IP in January 2014, entering Year 5 ACS(I) IBDP in January 2016 and graduating December 2017. Technically then, this year's Year 1 intake will be the first joint MGS-ACS IP batch, although they didn't start out as IP.

2013: Inaugural Year 1 IP batch, based on SBC. Will be IP all the way, entering Year 5 ACS(I) IBDP in January 2017 and graduating December 2018. Technically, this batch will be the first completely IP MGS batch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:41 pm 
Offline
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Posts: 527
autolycus wrote:
This is how it's supposed to go:

2012: Year 1 SBC and other Year 1 intake. Students across this batch will enter Year 3 IP in January 2014, entering Year 5 ACS(I) IBDP in January 2016 and graduating December 2017. Technically then, this year's Year 1 intake will be the first joint MGS-ACS IP batch, although they didn't start out as IP.

2013: Inaugural Year 1 IP batch, based on SBC. Will be IP all the way, entering Year 5 ACS(I) IBDP in January 2017 and graduating December 2018. Technically, this batch will be the first completely IP MGS batch.


Hi Autolycus,
Where is your source of information? I've been waiting for more info on this.
So you mean ALL students from Year 1 this year in MGS will enter into the IB & IP program when they are Sec 3 in 2014? But i thought some will still do the O level track. I thought they need to take the HAST test again?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:06 am 
Offline
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 556
Lynn2010 wrote:
Hi Autolycus,
Where is your source of information? I've been waiting for more info on this.
So you mean ALL students from Year 1 this year in MGS will enter into the IB & IP program when they are Sec 3 in 2014? But i thought some will still do the O level track. I thought they need to take the HAST test again?

No, not all the students. As I said, students across this batch; that is, a selection which will probably include most of the SBC girls and a number of the non-SBC girls. The selection process is likely to parallel the ACS(I) selection process at the end of Year 2. This is likely because MGS's input to the ACS(I) programme must be fair and seen to be fair; that is, the girls enter ACS(I) on sufficient merit and not because they are from MGS alone.

Programme specifics and other such details will emerge from the school in due time... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:20 am 
Offline
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 100
Can i check if the girls managed to get into MGS (IP) program in 2013, when they join ACSI in Year 5, they would automatically be eligible for the IB program?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:35 am 
Offline
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 556
ASLMUM wrote:
Can i check if the girls managed to get into MGS (IP) program in 2013, when they join ACSI in Year 5, they would automatically be eligible for the IB program?

They would be eligible to enter the ACS(I) IB Diploma Programme in Year 5 by virtue of having successfully completed the MGS part of the overall Integrated Programme. All students entering ACS(I) in Year 5 become IBDP students.

However, note that the girls have to complete the MGS (IP) segment first; just because they get in doesn't mean they won't be laterally transferred or otherwise displaced later for various negative reasons. This kind of movement possibility is also true for all other IP schools.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 am 
Offline
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 100
Thanks autolycus


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next




All times are UTC + 8 hours


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group