Methodist Girls' School (Secondary) (Page 7)

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:16 am 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Lynn2010 wrote:
Kiasu singaporean wrote:
Does Anglo-Chinese(Independent) takes in only SBC girls from MGS for its IB programme starting from 2014?

It will be IP from 2013 next year though they will still have the O level track. I think the IP should be for the SBC girls. Full details will be out I think by middle of the year (before the DSA)

Nope. From what I know (we were been briefed few weeks back), IP and SBC are two separate and distinct programmes. IP will be strictly IP (6 year - MGS+ACSI). The school will still retain the SBC programme/classes for their O level track (like now).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 am 
Councillor
Councillor

keroppi wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:
Kiasu singaporean wrote:
Does Anglo-Chinese(Independent) takes in only SBC girls from MGS for its IB programme starting from 2014?

It will be IP from 2013 next year though they will still have the O level track. I think the IP should be for the SBC girls. Full details will be out I think by middle of the year (before the DSA)

Nope. From what I know (we were been briefed few weeks back), IP and SBC are two separate and distinct programmes. IP will be strictly IP (6 year - MGS+ACSI). The school will still retain the SBC programme/classes for their O level track (like now).

So does that mean that the school will concurrently run three sets of classes:
1) Mainstream (O Level track)
2) SBC (O level track)
3) IP

But wouldn't that make SBC redundant because presumably the majority of students who qualify for SBC would prefer to be on the IP track, given that SBC is an O level track programme?

I thought it would be such that those in SBC would be the ones to be placed on the IP track?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

jtoh wrote:
keroppi wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:

So does that mean that the school will concurrently run three sets of classes:
1) Mainstream (O Level track)
2) SBC (O level track)
3) IP

But wouldn't that make SBC redundant because presumably the majority of students who qualify for SBC would prefer to be on the IP track, given that SBC is an O level track programme?

I thought it would be such that those in SBC would be the ones to be placed on the IP track?

From what I understood from the communication at the end of last year (my daughter is no longer in MGS this year), those in the SBC class this year may apply to join the IP in Sec 3. This application will take place at the end of Sec 2, and the wording makes it seem that it is not automatic. I don't know if this only applies to this batch because the IP was only supposed to start in the following year. Maybe future SBC classes automatically join IP?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:32 am 
Councillor
Councillor

Thanks slmkhoo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:49 am 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

This is how it's supposed to go:

2012: Year 1 SBC and other Year 1 intake. Students across this batch will enter Year 3 IP in January 2014, entering Year 5 ACS(I) IBDP in January 2016 and graduating December 2017. Technically then, this year's Year 1 intake will be the first joint MGS-ACS IP batch, although they didn't start out as IP.

2013: Inaugural Year 1 IP batch, based on SBC. Will be IP all the way, entering Year 5 ACS(I) IBDP in January 2017 and graduating December 2018. Technically, this batch will be the first completely IP MGS batch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:41 pm 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

autolycus wrote:
This is how it's supposed to go:

2012: Year 1 SBC and other Year 1 intake. Students across this batch will enter Year 3 IP in January 2014, entering Year 5 ACS(I) IBDP in January 2016 and graduating December 2017. Technically then, this year's Year 1 intake will be the first joint MGS-ACS IP batch, although they didn't start out as IP.

2013: Inaugural Year 1 IP batch, based on SBC. Will be IP all the way, entering Year 5 ACS(I) IBDP in January 2017 and graduating December 2018. Technically, this batch will be the first completely IP MGS batch.

Hi Autolycus,
Where is your source of information? I've been waiting for more info on this.
So you mean ALL students from Year 1 this year in MGS will enter into the IB & IP program when they are Sec 3 in 2014? But i thought some will still do the O level track. I thought they need to take the HAST test again?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:06 am 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Lynn2010 wrote:
Hi Autolycus,
Where is your source of information? I've been waiting for more info on this.
So you mean ALL students from Year 1 this year in MGS will enter into the IB & IP program when they are Sec 3 in 2014? But i thought some will still do the O level track. I thought they need to take the HAST test again?

No, not all the students. As I said, students across this batch; that is, a selection which will probably include most of the SBC girls and a number of the non-SBC girls. The selection process is likely to parallel the ACS(I) selection process at the end of Year 2. This is likely because MGS's input to the ACS(I) programme must be fair and seen to be fair; that is, the girls enter ACS(I) on sufficient merit and not because they are from MGS alone.

Programme specifics and other such details will emerge from the school in due time... :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:20 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Can i check if the girls managed to get into MGS (IP) program in 2013, when they join ACSI in Year 5, they would automatically be eligible for the IB program?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:35 am 
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

ASLMUM wrote:
Can i check if the girls managed to get into MGS (IP) program in 2013, when they join ACSI in Year 5, they would automatically be eligible for the IB program?

They would be eligible to enter the ACS(I) IB Diploma Programme in Year 5 by virtue of having successfully completed the MGS part of the overall Integrated Programme. All students entering ACS(I) in Year 5 become IBDP students.

However, note that the girls have to complete the MGS (IP) segment first; just because they get in doesn't mean they won't be laterally transferred or otherwise displaced later for various negative reasons. This kind of movement possibility is also true for all other IP schools.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Thanks autolycus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next