First time flying budget. Sin-Mel, which budget airline?

First time flying budget. Sin-Mel, which budget airline?

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Budget Airline

Postby Zann » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:40 pm

May I have your feedback if the following airline usually has the tendency to delay their flight?

- Jetstar
- Airasia
- Tigerairways

Which is the best budget airline?

TIA
Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

budget carrier

Postby AgnesMM » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:05 pm

I have taken both Tiger and Jetstar. Both were on-time (altho most may say Tiger delays).
AgnesMM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Took all 3 before. In my case, Jetstar was the worst one with the longest delay (3+ hours before we could take off on a flight to macau); Tiger not far behind in terms of overall experience.

My experience with Air asia ok.

Unless it's REALLY cheap, else, I would only take full service airlines. The (lack of) service is really too irritating - I've ever spent hours on a phone waiting for someone to pick up the line, and I guess I was lucky that someone actually did pickup that phone at the end of it.
hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Mrsbongz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:18 pm

If u do take tiger, pls check ur forms n itinerary carefully. My dh once booked a flight (fri nite dep) n received e itinerary 1min later confirming booking for a sat morning flight. I usually go w budget airlines, but tt was e last time we booked tiger!
Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Zann » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:59 am

Just booked some airasia tickets for next year school holiday. Got to transit at KL leh. Really hope everything turns up allright and goes on smoothly now.
:pray: :pray: :pray:
Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby peterch » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:43 am

I fly Airasia almost every week :D Overall I am satisfied wif them. Taking Tiger to Krabi tomorrow, will share wif u all next week then

As quoted by hquek, unless it is very cheap take budget airlines otherwise take full service airlines :celebrate:
peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Mrsbongz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:24 am

Zann wrote:Just booked some airasia tickets for next year school holiday. Got to transit at KL leh. Really hope everything turns up allright and goes on smoothly now.

Wat i usually do is to make sure I input my email n hp no correctly.. Jetstar will usually notify u of delays etc.. I hope AA will also.. I also have flights booked for next yr.. n BUY your own insurance early.. at least a month early.... very important...
Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Zann » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:21 am

Mrsbongz wrote:
Zann wrote:Just booked some airasia tickets for next year school holiday. Got to transit at KL leh. Really hope everything turns up allright and goes on smoothly now.

Wat i usually do is to make sure I input my email n hp no correctly.. Jetstar will usually notify u of delays etc.. I hope AA will also.. I also have flights booked for next yr.. n BUY your own insurance early.. at least a month early.... very important...

Mrsbongz, is it better to buy from AA insurance or ok to buy from outside, eg ntuc? Do most insurance co cover budget airline delay?
Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Mrsbongz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:09 am

Erm i usually buy fr outside, cos i don have high confidence in budget airline's customer service. Every policy is different, so do check before buying. I bought thru a fren, supposed to even cover terrorist attacks :p
Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby hquek » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:39 am

btw, if you fly budget, make sure you go really early to check in. A friend cut it quite close and was bumped off the flight. It seems you really have to check in 2 hours before as they say; or risk missing your flight.

My sis experienced flight delay with SIA for a couple of hours (think it was 1 to 3) - and already they were given food vouchers to spend at the airport. Now that's what I call service!
hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas