Raffles Institution [*IP] (Page 260)

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4080 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263 ... 408  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:01 am 
Offline
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 11696
PiggyLalala wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
PiggyLalala wrote:
Will you encourage or discourage yr child fr taking 10 subjects in yr 3?


be the 18% ? however the GPA for yr 3/4 is only based on core 5 + best 3 subjects


Do I take your comment as I should discourage my child from taking the 10 subjects? The 10th subject is usually the electives like music, art or the 3rd lanaguage. For the 3rd language, is there a need to continue if the interest is not very high? What are the advantages of continuing the 3rd lang up to sec 4?


if the interest is waning, why force it ? u are right, the 10th is usually the elective


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:41 am 
Offline
Councillor
Councillor

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Posts: 10408
verykiasu2010 wrote:
jtoh wrote:

Is GPA calculated on core 5 + 3? Thought it was core 5 + 2.

The 10th subject can be an RA subject. If your son is offered an RA and he is passionate about it, he should take it up.


the recent briefing say gpa=core 5 + best 3, and looks like no one taking less than 8 subjects


Was this recently introduced? You mentioned 18%. This would refer to the percentage taking 10 subjects or more?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 pm 
Offline
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 11696
jtoh wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
jtoh wrote:

Is GPA calculated on core 5 + 3? Thought it was core 5 + 2.

The 10th subject can be an RA subject. If your son is offered an RA and he is passionate about it, he should take it up.


the recent briefing say gpa=core 5 + best 3, and looks like no one taking less than 8 subjects


Was this recently introduced? You mentioned 18%. This would refer to the percentage taking 10 subjects or more?

Yes i was referring the 18% as taking 10 subjects, majority 60 plus % taking 9 subjects, the rest 8 subjects

It is interesting to me to note that social studies is a compulsory core subject ...,and I saw the word currygate in the course outline ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 pm 
Offline
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 11696
Did not see the briefing slides of last year, so not sure if this core 5 + best 3 is recent or not


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:56 pm 
Offline
Councillor
Councillor

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Posts: 10408
verykiasu2010 wrote:
Yes i was referring the 18% as taking 10 subjects, majority 60 plus % taking 9 subjects, the rest 8 subjects

It is interesting to me to note that social studies is a compulsory core subject ...,and I saw the word currygate in the course outline ...



Currygate? :rotflmao:

That's 20% taking 8 subjects? That's quite a lot. I would've expected all to take minimum 9 subjects and just a few taking 8. I wonder who would be taking 8 subjects - possibly the ones excused from MT?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:43 pm 
Offline
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 11696
jtoh wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
Yes i was referring the 18% as taking 10 subjects, majority 60 plus % taking 9 subjects, the rest 8 subjects

It is interesting to me to note that social studies is a compulsory core subject ...,and I saw the word currygate in the course outline ...



Currygate? :rotflmao:

That's 20% taking 8 subjects? That's quite a lot. I would've expected all to take minimum 9 subjects and just a few taking 8. I wonder who would be taking 8 subjects - possibly the ones excused from MT?


ok, based on the slides :

8 subjects : 14%
9 subjects : 68%
10 subjects : 18%

so it is 86% taking at least 9 subjects

plus philo, RE, and CLE continues


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:48 pm 
Online
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm
Posts: 3133
verykiasu2010 wrote:
PiggyLalala wrote:
Do I take your comment as I should discourage my child from taking the 10 subjects? The 10th subject is usually the electives like music, art or the 3rd lanaguage. For the 3rd language, is there a need to continue if the interest is not very high? What are the advantages of continuing the 3rd lang up to sec 4?


if the interest is waning, why force it ? u are right, the 10th is usually the elective


It is not me. It is my dh who feels that it is always good to know one more language. Personally I think there is dont need to study so many subjects since there is no more O level.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:45 am 
Offline
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 11696
PiggyLalala wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
PiggyLalala wrote:
Do I take your comment as I should discourage my child from taking the 10 subjects? The 10th subject is usually the electives like music, art or the 3rd lanaguage. For the 3rd language, is there a need to continue if the interest is not very high? What are the advantages of continuing the 3rd lang up to sec 4?


if the interest is waning, why force it ? u are right, the 10th is usually the elective


It is not me. It is my dh who feels that it is always good to know one more language. Personally I think there is dont need to study so many subjects since there is no more O level.


if there is O level exams, then do more subjects ? what is he logic ? why ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:10 am 
Online
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm
Posts: 3133
verykiasu2010 wrote:
PiggyLalala wrote:
It is not me. It is my dh who feels that it is always good to know one more language. Personally I think there is dont need to study so many subjects since there is no more O level.


if there is O level exams, then do more subjects ? what is he logic ? why ?


Because in the end the pupils need to take only 4 A level subjects in year 5 and 6 as compared to the 6 subjects (L1R5) for the O level track. I am quite a practical person.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:05 pm 
Offline
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 11696
PiggyLalala wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
PiggyLalala wrote:
It is not me. It is my dh who feels that it is always good to know one more language. Personally I think there is dont need to study so many subjects since there is no more O level.


if there is O level exams, then do more subjects ? what is he logic ? why ?


Because in the end the pupils need to take only 4 A level subjects in year 5 and 6 as compared to the 6 subjects (L1R5) for the O level track. I am quite a practical person.

but still L1R5 requires only 6 subjects, not 10. unless you super kiasu and try luck for more subject, which may backfire due to less time to spend on each subject ..... anyway just theoretical since you son does not need to do O level. how many RA is he applying ? eligibility list is out


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4080 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263 ... 408  Next




All times are UTC + 8 hours


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group