PSLE 2013 - Results Discussion (Page 73)

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 189  Next
 Post subject: Re: PSLE 2013 - Results Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:46 pm 
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

NotEducatedMan wrote:
abachee wrote:
Guys, for your info thru reliable sources with a slip of tongue. This year highest T-score is much lower compare to last year of 284. Hence, all sec sch will have their cut out points lower.
Sorry, as I can't disclose this year highest score.

Base on my ds psle results better in most subjects compared to his sch exam results.. but his total aggregate was down..

So I believe this year the T-score is lowered.. Not sure.. maybe 5 to 10 pts.? :roll:

Last Year was Dragon Year and the T-Score is higher than previous years (think up to 5 points in some cases).

For this year, the PSLE exam was much easier and so many students do well and score high. But the Bell Curve adjust the T-Score lower.

Therefore, there is a BIG Gap between last year and this year's T-Score. Before selecting the secondary school, I suggest parents look at the other thread on PSLE T-Score and determine how much lower it is compared to last year and the year before. This will give you a guage of what the COP for each of the secondary school you are going to choose.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:52 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

sushi88 wrote:
Quote:
Actually - regardless of the highest score - the cut-off points do not vary wildly. They are up or down only by a few points. So your friends should look for schools whose cut off points is similar to their children's scores. Again even if their score is lower by a few points - no harm in putting their dream school first - as long as you put a safe school for the next couple of choices - because the child with the higher score will get in - regardless of whether they indicated their choice as first, second or 6th.

I think the allocation system is quite fair and is totally independent of what the top score is.

The highlighted is good to know. Can you confirm your source of this info?
My friends from past PSLE shared that with a higher T-score but put as a lower choice, her child did not get into the school whereas the lower T-score got in, so I had the impression that making it one's first choice or 6th choice makes a difference. However, if what you say is the absolute truth, then I agree no worries, just choose according to last year's COP.

I also get the same information from my child principal.

Last edited by therat on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:52 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

If we look at the top score thread, seems like top score is only 270+.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:54 pm 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Who can recommend which good sec sch in the east which caters to Normal Acad?

Last edited by kittycat01 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Affiliation to jc is one of the considerations when choosing sec school but how does affiliation work? We can have some points deducted from the aggregate points ? if yes, how many points? thks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:59 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

kittycat01 wrote:
Who can recommend which good sec sch in the east which caters to Normal Acad?

Ngee Ann NA COP 199 (base on 2012 PSLE)
But last yr (mean sec 1 2013) only has 1 NA class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:04 pm 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

kwcllf wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:
How does the appeal process go ?
Only appeal after the secondary school postings are out ?
Or can start appealing now ?

DS2 got 244+1
Just made the cut off for Nan Hua High based on last year's results.

What time is the Nan Hua High open house tomorrow ?

You don't even know whether your child get into the school you are going to select. So, you cannot appeal. Wait for the result of the secondary school posting first.

I think higher chance if you put the school as your first choice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:18 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

(联合早报网讯)小六会考成绩今天放榜,今年共有4万3047名考生,中学升学率为97.5%,与去年相近。66.7% 考生能进入快捷源流,这个比率比去年的63.1% 高。

联合早报报道,今年起,小六会考的成绩单不再印有考生最高与最低总积分。
- See more at: http://www.zaobao.com.sg/realtime/singa ... 4kSyl.dpuf

-------------
2013 PSLE has 40 3047 candidate

Promote to Secondary 97.5% almost same as 2012 PSLE
66.7% went to Express, better than 2012 PSLE 63.1%

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:22 pm 
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

kwcllf wrote:
hmsg wrote:
My dd principal did said that sec sch allocation is based on t-scores n not ranked order of sch selection.

But there is still unresolved issue regarding school allocation. For example if Student A gets 255 and Student B gets 253+2. Who will get in first? Does MOE consider Raw Score first before taking in the Bonus points??

Also, I want to caution parents when selecting secondary schools. In the event your child cannot get into the First Choice school for example, and then decided to appeal. The order of school selection makes a difference although this is not something they will publicly tell you. When submitting your appeal form, some schools ask for your order of school selection. In the past, I have heard from a parent that the school actually asked "Why didn't you put my school as first choice?". On another occasion, I heard from a friend whose friend is a Primary School principal. She warned her to be careful when making the secondary school selection and the order in which she applied for the secondary school.

The school allocation is based on merit, basically in the MOE systems all PSLE student is rank in order highest to lowest, there is decimal points. Also the HMT can only be used for applying to SAP secondary school.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:42 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

handytouch wrote:
kwcllf wrote:
hmsg wrote:
My dd principal did said that sec sch allocation is based on t-scores n not ranked order of sch selection.

But there is still unresolved issue regarding school allocation. For example if Student A gets 255 and Student B gets 253+2. Who will get in first? Does MOE consider Raw Score first before taking in the Bonus points??

Also, I want to caution parents when selecting secondary schools. In the event your child cannot get into the First Choice school for example, and then decided to appeal. The order of school selection makes a difference although this is not something they will publicly tell you. When submitting your appeal form, some schools ask for your order of school selection. In the past, I have heard from a parent that the school actually asked "Why didn't you put my school as first choice?". On another occasion, I heard from a friend whose friend is a Primary School principal. She warned her to be careful when making the secondary school selection and the order in which she applied for the secondary school.

The school allocation is based on merit, basically in the MOE systems all PSLE student is rank in order highest to lowest, there is decimal points. Also the HMT can only be used for applying to SAP secondary school.

Pls see the link for some further details
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... -school-yo

I did not know that Singaporeans get the pref in case of the same T score before checking the decimals :smile:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 189  Next