GEP 2013 - Screening & Selection (Page 97)

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 127  Next
 Post subject: Re: GEP 2013 - Screening & Selection
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:34 pm 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

bochap daddy wrote:

Is there any public breakdown of how many from each school make it to GEP?

[color=#0000FF]no break down because for most schools it varies from year to year, GEPPers cannot be taught, so no relationship to schools, BUT [/color]

If some schools only one person, it stands to reason that others might have 5-10?

some schools like NYPS, RGPS etc consistently produce enough GEPPers to fill at least 1/3 of the cohort in their school, but i attribute this to the type of parents these schools usually have, mainly professionals, my own opinion

Also - it seems that some children "opt out" of GEP - is there a wait-list or something like that? Do they invite 500 or accept 500?

yes, some do opt out, but they continue to do well in their own school. No waiting list as to GE Branch it is only open that is "eligible", I agree to this as not to stress kids who are not at the same level

Also - when you are informed (either way) do you get to know the "score" you got in the test and how that was relative to other students?

If you decide to go for GEP, then you have to accept "SECRETS", so many things are SECRET in GEP, tests papers not allowed to show parents and bring back etc, sometimes you don't even know what the children learn in School :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:34 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

ooioo wrote:

But "policy" in GE Branch is such that only 1/4 to 1/3 girls is admitted to GEP, this has been the case ever since the program started.

So all girls out there if you are not selected, please don't think that you are in anyway less superior :smile:

The above is my personal opinion, please don't quote me ok? wait MOE come knock at my door :siam:

during parents briefing, we were told this is not intentionally. MOE didn't manipulate a smaller intake of girls. Just so happen that fewer girls make it through screening.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:37 pm 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

sleepy wrote:
ooioo wrote:

But "policy" in GE Branch is such that only 1/4 to 1/3 girls is admitted to GEP, this has been the case ever since the program started.

So all girls out there if you are not selected, please don't think that you are in anyway less superior :smile:

The above is my personal opinion, please don't quote me ok? wait MOE come knock at my door :siam:

during parents briefing, we were told this is not intentionally. MOE didn't manipulate a smaller intake of girls. Just so happen that fewer girls make it through screening.

Just my opinion - I have learn in life not to believe in everything you are told, check out statistics from other countries on Gifted Children, the ratio for Boys and Girls are similar except Singapore :lol:

We are still a very Chinese Asian society, 重男轻女? :siam:

Last edited by ooioo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:39 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

ooioo wrote:
bochap daddy wrote:
ooioo wrote:
Hi another advice for those parents with daughters,

The number of GEPPer girls is only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire GEPPer cohort. Thus most co-ed GEP Class will only have about 2 to 5 girls to each class.

If your daughter is from a girl school, it might be a big shock, and GEPPer boys are normally very vocal and loud.

A big big consideration to consider :)

The boys really outnumber the girls so drastically?

Hmm...wonder why...I tot girls were supposed to develop faster academically till about age 12 or 13 or something?

Would math ability count for the difference (boys are supposed to be better at math) - but wouldn't that be made up for by English ability? (where girls should excel)....would make for an interesting discussion

Many parents in the past also asked this question, and the whole world knows by statistics that girls perform much better academically than boys, including IQ tests. If you look at the top 10 20 secondary schools in Singapore, majority are Girls school.

I am not saying that boys are not good, only the good ones are much less in numbers :lol:

Nah... girls only good because they put in more time on study.. they mature earlier than boys.
boys... play too much.

When at upper secondary and uni... men are much better than women...

you try ask a woman to do programming... she will ask her boyfriend to do for her. Ok... my time the women are like that. Maybe now smarter...

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:29 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

cherrygal wrote:
lalamum,
sorry for being kaypo... is your gal confirmed GEP already? You mentioned an in-house briefing yesterday. How many were invited to the briefing? Just find it puzzling since GEB mentioned in letter that the results will only be announced first week of Nov...

Hi Cherrygal,

As mentioned it is an in-house program by the school. So all the kids who cleared round 1 were invited for the briefing. Not sure if you are aware of such in-house programs. A few schools that I know have them but not too sure of the names e.g.
1. NYPS -> Meta
2. SJI -> St Josephian something something
3. MGS -> SBC

There may be more schools offering but I 'm not aware la.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:31 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

jtoh wrote:
Silent Night wrote:
Hi, I heard someone says that besides the GEP selection test results, MOE will also consider the performance of the kid (academic results in school and other holistic achievements). Is it true?

Not true.

Hi Silent Night,

The school who have in-house GEP program will look at SA2 academic results and other holistic achievements to invite their current students into their special prog but importantly the child must have cleared ROund 1 la

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:16 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

ooioo wrote:
The number of GEPPer girls is only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire GEPPer cohort. Thus most co-ed GEP Class will only have about 2 to 5 girls to each class.

If your daughter is from a girl school, it might be a big shock, and GEPPer boys are nor
Many parents in the past also asked this question, and the whole world knows by statistics that girls perform much better academically than boys, including IQ tests. If you look at the top 10 20 secondary schools in Singapore, majority are Girls school.

I am not saying that boys are not good, only the good ones are much less in numbers :lol:

I am quite interested in the boy-girl ratio for those who successfully dsa into coed schools via hast/gat coz I've always wondered if they have the same pattern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:57 pm 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Nebbermind wrote:
ooioo wrote:

If your daughter is from a girl school, it might be a big shock, and GEPPer boys are nor

I am quite interested in the boy-girl ratio for those who successfully dsa into coed schools via hast/gat coz I've always wondered if they have the same pattern

Evidence in the rest of the world is clear and simple, but MOE is trying to hide Mount Everest :rotflmao:

www.nytimes.com/2010/06/01/nyregion/01g ... d=all&_r=0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:01 pm 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

If you look at the top 10 or 20 Secondary schools in Singapore, you will be surprised to see that 60% or more of the population are Girls, but it also tells you if you are a girl, it is so much more competitive :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:09 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

ooioo wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
ooioo wrote:

Evidence in the rest of the world is clear and simple, but MOE is trying to hide Mount Everest :rotflmao:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/01/nyreg ... d=all&_r=0

Perhaps MOE places different weights on the different components of intelligence for GEP. Girls are generally gifted in languages while boys in general ability, or what we used to call aptitude.

Americans tend to place more or at least equal emphasis on verbal intelligence while Asians on the performance part when considering giftedness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 127  Next