GEP 2013 - Screening & Selection

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:56 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: GEP 2013 - Screening & Selection
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:38 pm 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

And so I heard the screening starts tomorrow...

Selection Process

In August, Primary 3 pupils in Singapore schools have the opportunity to take the GEP Screening Test, comprising 2 papers: English Language and Mathematics
Approximately 4000 pupils are shortlisted to sit the GEP Selection Test in October, comprising 3 papers: English Language, Mathematics and General Ability

Schedule for 2013

GEP Screening Test: 23 Aug 2013
GEP Selection Test: 16 and 17 Oct 2013
Invitation to join GEP: Early November 2013

How many pupils are admitted into the GEP at Primary 4?

About 500 pupils are admitted into the Programme at Primary 4.

FAQ GEP

Last edited by Nebbermind on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 2013 GEP Screening & Selection
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 pm 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Good luck to all those who are taking the test!

Post subject: GEP Screening test 23-Aug-13
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 am 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Dear Parents...

Anyone of your kids going for the GEP screening test tomorrow?

Heard that it's really tough to go through the first round. My girl is going for the test tomorrow. I had signed her up for GEP preparation before that.

Hopefully she can get through the test.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:30 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

My gal is sitting for GEP screening today.

Whatever will be, will be ... :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:56 am 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

The first round isn't that hard, having experienced it myself. It's based more on applying what you have learnt on math and English.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Just some heads up. GEP isn't some glorified programme. They basically teach a wider range and at a different level. And they don't go slowly. Kids still get called for sup classes if they fail to meet baseline scores (that's 70 marks for GE).

So if a child gets in thru prep classes, they may find the going tough coz their peers may catch the lessons faster etc. if the child gets in on own merits, chances are the pace won't be a problem for them.
Some kids do have problems coping even after getting in on their own merits. They will be surrounded by peers who seems to sail by with less effort. And they feel discouraged sometimes when thy are no longer the top of the class etc.

So when any of you get the big envelope in November, decide wisely if your child will be able to cope and enjoy the rigors of the programme. Don't go simply coz of some perceived prestige.
If you child doesn't get thru, don't fret, your child is probably still within the top 10 percent of the cohort.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:33 am 
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Hi

My friend's son went for maths Olympiad for the past 2 years to prepare for gep. She was being told by the centre that the maths questions in gep test are Olympiad questions. Dun think my ds can even make it through the 1st round if the maths questions are olympiad type of questions. :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:48 am 
Councillor
Councillor

Steadyberry wrote:
Hi

My friend's son went for maths Olympiad for the past 2 years to prepare for gep. She was being told by the centre that the maths questions in gep test are Olympiad questions. Dun think my ds can even make it through the 1st round if the maths questions are olympiad type of questions. :(

First round questions are based on P3 Math and English syllabus. No prep necessary at all, especially if they've been keeping up with school work. For the second round, you don't need to have undergone Math Olympiad training to get through. If you have the talent, you should find the papers stimulating yet doable.

Last edited by jtoh on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:56 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Still remember some kids were so stressed that they cried after the screening test.
And then when they got into the selection test, they suffered anxiety attack on that day....fever, stomachache that sort of thing....not sure if they managed to arrange any makeup test after that.

Parents should try not to stress your kids too much over this...it's just a test...not life and death

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:02 am 
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

jtoh wrote:
Steadyberry wrote:
Hi

First round questions are based on P3 Math and Science syllabus. No prep necessary at all, especially if they've been keeping up with school work. For the second round, you don't need to have undergone Math Olympiad training to get through. If you have the talent, you should find the papers stimulating yet doable.

Agree with jtoh.
My 2 kids went into round 2 with no tuition & no prep at P3. But of course they din get into GEP :wink: But HA & doing reasonably well in mainstream, I'm contented. :)
Honestly I believe that in general, the selection test does its work. Let the child go in by their own merits. My friend's child went in GEP, no prep. Did not answer many of the Maths question (the child doesn't agree to guessing) & yet was still sifted out as GEP. Has blossomed well.....

Frankly, on hind sight, it's a blessing in disguise that I did not prep them. If end up struggling, I'll be unhappy also.

All the best to all P3 taking the screening test.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 128  Next