Singapore Chinese Girls School (Secondary) (Page 33)

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Singapore Chinese Girls School (Secondary)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:26 pm 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

:goodpost:
TTBCOOL wrote:
tiredmama wrote:
Hi, anyone with DD waiting to join the school ? or any existing parents with dd in the current IP can share their experiences on how the curriculum is like, would be greatly appreciated.. would like to hear some honest feedback on how the 1st year of implementation of the IP program been for SC ?
Or, if you have a girl in the school currently.. how is the school environment and culture ?
Thanks very much in advance :) looking forward to hearing 1st hand vibes and honest opinions.

Hi Tiredmama, my dd is in SCGS Sec 1 IP this year. I will try to answer your questions as I had the same concern as you last year. As the pioneer batch of SCGS IP, we have no reference of what is the curriculum. But not to worry, the school will brief you on the IP program and the expectation of the IP student in the beginning of the year. The coverage of the IP program is very wide. I believe it is the same for any IP schools. :smile: For instance, for Maths, they had finished the topic on Mathematics of Finance (such as Loans, Taxation, Simple/Compound Interest Rate, etc) which I heard is Sec 3 topic and Geography, they are doing Urban Planning in Singapore which her teacher said that it supposed to be done in 'A' level. :yikes: Not to worry, they have common test quite frequently and the teacher will give remedial class if necessary. As for homework, so far, I feel they don't have much homework. They do have a lot of project works. The teachers do give reasonable due dates but just that sometimes, they wait until last minute to finish a few projects at a time. They do have stress, conflict and disagreement at times when doing project works but they have to learn how to manage them. As for the environment, I feel that they believe in pursuing their passion. For instance, they have the sabbatical week for 1 week and the student can select the activities to their liking and the Arts Elective Program in addition to their normal Arts lesson, they can choose Dance, Drawings, Music according to their preference. :wink: They also have Speech and Drama class as well as Movement Ed (Gymnastics) class during their normal school hours. Saying about cliques among the SCGS girls, not to worry especially for IP, they have a mixture of students from different primary schools. My dd is the only one from her primary school to go to SCGS, she has no problem in making friends from day 1. Overall, my dd enjoys the IP program. I hope I have answered your questions. :boogie:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:17 am 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

TTBCOOL wrote:
tiredmama wrote:
Hi, anyone with DD waiting to join the school ? or any existing parents with dd in the current IP can share their experiences on how the curriculum is like, would be greatly appreciated.. would like to hear some honest feedback on how the 1st year of implementation of the IP program been for SC ?
Or, if you have a girl in the school currently.. how is the school environment and culture ?
Thanks very much in advance :) looking forward to hearing 1st hand vibes and honest opinions.

Hi Tiredmama, my dd is in SCGS Sec 1 IP this year. I will try to answer your questions as I had the same concern as you last year. As the pioneer batch of SCGS IP, we have no reference of what is the curriculum. But not to worry, the school will brief you on the IP program and the expectation of the IP student in the beginning of the year. The coverage of the IP program is very wide. I believe it is the same for any IP schools. :smile: For instance, for Maths, they had finished the topic on Mathematics of Finance (such as Loans, Taxation, Simple/Compound Interest Rate, etc) which I heard is Sec 3 topic and Geography, they are doing Urban Planning in Singapore which her teacher said that it supposed to be done in 'A' level. :yikes: Not to worry, they have common test quite frequently and the teacher will give remedial class if necessary. As for homework, so far, I feel they don't have much homework. They do have a lot of project works. The teachers do give reasonable due dates but just that sometimes, they wait until last minute to finish a few projects at a time. They do have stress, conflict and disagreement at times when doing project works but they have to learn how to manage them. As for the environment, I feel that they believe in pursuing their passion. For instance, they have the sabbatical week for 1 week and the student can select the activities to their liking and the Arts Elective Program in addition to their normal Arts lesson, they can choose Dance, Drawings, Music according to their preference. :wink: They also have Speech and Drama class as well as Movement Ed (Gymnastics) class during their normal school hours. Saying about cliques among the SCGS girls, not to worry especially for IP, they have a mixture of students from different primary schools. My dd is the only one from her primary school to go to SCGS, she has no problem in making friends from day 1. Overall, my dd enjoys the IP program. I hope I have answered your questions. :boogie:

Dear TTBcool, thank you for the sharing. It is indeed very useful insights with regards to the curriculum. .. ESP it being new and untested .. Nt sure how they will implement the program effectively.. Did your dd have any feedback on how are the teachers from sc ? Do they really 'teach' Or there is an implicit understanding that most kids supplement through tuition anyway ?
Not spoon feed but at least they must teach and deliver the curriculum.
Does yr dd find the environment stressful ? I'm hoping for a more holistic environment that will ground the girls properly and not mainly just academic excellence..the many varied programs sounds fun.
Do you know how r the IP classes being allocated ? And if there is a large % of affiliated girls. In terms of all girls school..(except rgs and nygh) There is
Only scgs , sng and cedar in the same cutoff range...
Mgs is running on IB platform which I'm not keen.. Any reason why u chose sc ?

Thanks for yr time!! For such a :goodpost:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:24 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Dear TTBcool, thank you for the sharing. It is indeed very useful insights with regards to the curriculum. .. ESP it being new and untested .. Nt sure how they will implement the program effectively.. Did your dd have any feedback on how are the teachers from sc ? Do they really 'teach' Or there is an implicit understanding that most kids supplement through tuition anyway ?
Does yr dd find the environment stressful ? I'm hoping for a more holistic environment that will ground the girls properly and not mainly just academic excellence..the many varied programs sounds fun.
Do you know how r the IP classes being allocated ? And if there is a large % of affiliated girls. In terms of all girls school..(except rgs and nygh) There is

Thanks for yr time!! For such a :goodpost:[/quote]

Hi Tiredmama,
Frankly if you ask me whether SCGS IP is effectively implemented or not, I'm afraid I'm not able to answer you now. Maybe, the appropriate time is when my dd is in Year 5 & 6 when they combine with CHIJ St Nick and CHS as I also dont't know what to expect from IP now. About the teachers, my DD did mention that most of her teachers are very nice. Of course, 1 or 2 teachers she thinks are not nice are ok too. The teachers there do teach. She ever told me that one of her teachers stayed back to coach a student in her class as this student is weaker in that subject. I was impressed as the teacher is willing to stay back for 1-1 coaching. I feel that the teachers are not biased as they do not look down at students who did not perform well for that subject. Just like her Maths teacher, she will give remedial class for those who did not do well for the test. So far, I have no complaint about the teachers. You would also like to know whether the environment there is stressful? My dd is enjoying herself. However, as mentioned in my earlier post, they can be quite stressful sometimes if they have to finish a few projects (due to last minutes work) and prepare for the test simultaneously. I see that my dd does not have much homework or maybe she has completed them in school. If you are looking for a holistic environment and not mainly just academic excellence, SCGS is definitely a place for your dd. They have a lot of non-academic programs such as Speech & Drama (Eng & Chinese), Arts Elective (they can choose Dance, Music or Drawing), Movement Ed (Gymnastics),etc as mentioned in my earlier post which are part of their curriculum. They will be taking Trinity Guildhall Communication Skills Exam (Grade 5) in Sep 2013. This week is their Health Week. For Sec 1, they have Abseiling activities which my dd enjoyed very much. For Sec 2, they can choose skating, bowling, a list of activities for them to choose. They do have a lot of fun activities which my dd enjoyed. Tomorrow, they are celebrating Language Festival and the Sec 1 will showcase their Mother Tongue recitation skills which they have learnt from their Speech & Drama class. Parents are invited to attend in the evening. As for how the classes are allocated for Sec 1, the allocation is based on PSLE T-scores. Regarding why I choose this school, it is a long story. In short, I should say that I did not choose this school, it is my dd's choice. SCGS went to her primary school to give a talk after PSLE, she was very impressed by SCGS girls' eloquency and their interactive program. In addition, she wanted all-girl school. That's how she ended in SCGS. No regret as I feel that SCGS suits her better. Hope that I had addressed all your concern. I would also like to hear from other SCGS SEC 1 IP parents on how they feel about the IP program in SCGS ? Hope to hear more feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:56 am 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Dear tiredmama,
My daughter is in SCGS Sec 4 and was in SCGS Primary as well. She has been very happy here. I would like to share with you an overview of the school.
What are the key words to describe SCGS? Based on our experience: holistic, excellence, kindness, grace, refinement... Generally, SCGS are very 斯文 (refined and graceful) even as the school strives for excellence. Don't let those gentle smiles beguile you. These girls are no pushovers - the environment is quite competitive! Top scorers will enjoy the rigour here and the myriad of opportunities to stretch their minds in many different fields. I personally like the Business at School project (with the Boston Consulting Group) to expose the girls to entrepreneurship. As the school is one of the best in Singapore for "value-added", other girls can expect to catch up and do well too.
Girls from non-affiliated primary schools need not worry - more than half of my girl's clique comprise of them :grphug:
SCGSS is one of the few schools still offering Literature and my girl has matured and learnt so much about life from this course. This is one of the ways you can see that the school pays attention to a well-rounded and holistic education, and is not focused on grades alone. There are also one-off, ad hoc classes, which are very interesting, held on a regular basis. My girl tried her hand at animation and Japanese tea ceremony. She was very disappointed that she could not get into the cake decoration class - fully subscribed within the hour!
I also love the way the school uses its Peranakan background to teach the girls about our Singapore history and Asian culture.
Last but not least, quite a number of nice young men have asked me over the years if I know any nice SCGS girls. They think that these girls have a good combination and balance of smarts, personality and character. I told them my cohort is a bit too young for them. It is comforting to a mother to know that her girl stands a good chance of being sought after! :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 am 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Metis wrote:
Dear tiredmama,
My daughter is in SCGS Sec 4 and was in SCGS Primary as well. She has been very happy here. I would like to share with you an overview of the school.
What are the key words to describe SCGS? Based on our experience: holistic, excellence, kindness, grace, refinement... Generally, SCGS are very 斯文 (refined and graceful) even as the school strives for excellence. Don't let those gentle smiles beguile you. These girls are no pushovers - the environment is quite competitive! Top scorers will enjoy the rigour here and the myriad of opportunities to stretch their minds in many different fields. I personally like the Business at School project (with the Boston Consulting Group) to expose the girls to entrepreneurship. As the school is one of the best in Singapore for "value-added", other girls can expect to catch up and do well too.
Girls from non-affiliated primary schools need not worry - more than half of my girl's clique comprise of them :grphug:
SCGSS is one of the few schools still offering Literature and my girl has matured and learnt so much about life from this course. This is one of the ways you can see that the school pays attention to a well-rounded and holistic education, and is not focused on grades alone. There are also one-off, ad hoc classes, which are very interesting, held on a regular basis. My girl tried her hand at animation and Japanese tea ceremony. She was very disappointed that she could not get into the cake decoration class - fully subscribed within the hour!
I also love the way the school uses its Peranakan background to teach the girls about our Singapore history and Asian culture.
Last but not least, quite a number of nice young men have asked me over the years if I know any nice SCGS girls. They think that these girls have a good combination and balance of smarts, personality and character. I told them my cohort is a bit too young for them. It is comforting to a mother to know that her girl stands a good chance of being sought after! :smile:

May I ask if your DD or her friends talk about BGR or boys from next door boy school?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:49 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

TTBCOOL wrote:

Thanks for yr time!! For such a :goodpost:

Hi Tiredmama,
Frankly if you ask me whether SCGS IP is effectively implemented or not, I'm afraid I'm not able to answer you now. Maybe, the appropriate time is when my dd is in Year 5 & 6 when they combine with CHIJ St Nick and CHS as I also dont't know what to expect from IP now. About the teachers, my DD did mention that most of her teachers are very nice. Of course, 1 or 2 teachers she thinks are not nice are ok too. The teachers there do teach. She ever told me that one of her teachers stayed back to coach a student in her class as this student is weaker in that subject. I was impressed as the teacher is willing to stay back for 1-1 coaching. I feel that the teachers are not biased as they do not look down at students who did not perform well for that subject. Just like her Maths teacher, she will give remedial class for those who did not do well for the test. So far, I have no complaint about the teachers. You would also like to know whether the environment there is stressful? My dd is enjoying herself. However, as mentioned in my earlier post, they can be quite stressful sometimes if they have to finish a few projects (due to last minutes work) and prepare for the test simultaneously. I see that my dd does not have much homework or maybe she has completed them in school. If you are looking for a holistic environment and not mainly just academic excellence, SCGS is definitely a place for your dd. They have a lot of non-academic programs such as Speech & Drama (Eng & Chinese), Arts Elective (they can choose Dance, Music or Drawing), Movement Ed (Gymnastics),etc as mentioned in my earlier post which are part of their curriculum. They will be taking Trinity Guildhall Communication Skills Exam (Grade 5) in Sep 2013. This week is their Health Week. For Sec 1, they have Abseiling activities which my dd enjoyed very much. For Sec 2, they can choose skating, bowling, a list of activities for them to choose. They do have a lot of fun activities which my dd enjoyed. Tomorrow, they are celebrating Language Festival and the Sec 1 will showcase their Mother Tongue recitation skills which they have learnt from their Speech & Drama class. Parents are invited to attend in the evening. As for how the classes are allocated for Sec 1, the allocation is based on PSLE T-scores. Regarding why I choose this school, it is a long story. In short, I should say that I did not choose this school, it is my dd's choice. SCGS went to her primary school to give a talk after PSLE, she was very impressed by SCGS girls' eloquency and their interactive program. In addition, she wanted all-girl school. That's how she ended in SCGS. No regret as I feel that SCGS suits her better. Hope that I had addressed all your concern. I would also like to hear from other SCGS SEC 1 IP parents on how they feel about the IP program in SCGS ? Hope to hear more feedback.[/quote]

Many thanks for your forthcoming sharing.. it definitely helps to see things more positively and I am encouraged by what I hear. It is important that the child gets a nurturing and warm environment to grow up.. learn and even make mistakes...SC was not in my earlier consideration but somehow God lead one door to another.. and I was drawn to the school and what I saw after the Open House. I had a nagging feeling about intergration, it being an issue for non-SC pri girls .. but I guess for the IP.. the affiliation doesn't make a difference.
Thank you again for the very nice feedback !!!

:thankyou: :rahrah:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:06 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Metis wrote:
Dear tiredmama,

Dear Metis,

thank you :thankyou: for the generous sharing of the life in SC from the eyes of a parent whose dd has gone thro the program.
it must be most gratifying to a mum to her dd all grown up, poised and gracious and articulate.. :please:
What about school management ? During the open hse, I believe i only heard the VP and HODs ? I didnt hear the school P spoke...hows the school leadership like ?
I understand it can be deemed as sensitive even if no ill feelings... so don't be obliged to reply ? :sweat:

Thanks so much again ! :rahrah:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 am 
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Hi hi,

I have never heard of my daughter and her classmates discussing boys! They do discuss which JCs or fields of study they want to join, and what they want to do when they grow up, since their cohort does not benefit from the IP program. I do wonder if this could be due to the fact that she is in one of the top classes and her peers are really hardworking and focused.
The last time she mentioned boys was when she was in Primary 6. (Four years ago!!!) She told me that some of her schoolmates met boys from tuition classes and they connect on Facebook and go for lunch and ice-cream, etc.
After entering secondary school, there seemed to be a change in the profile of her schoolmates. In primary school, there were quite a number of tai-tais or their drivers hanging around to pick up the kids after school, including a certain socialite featured in yesterday's Sunday Times. In secondary school, these families seem to disappear. I hear many of these kids go on to international secondary schools. In SCGSS, we see more girls taking buses. Yes, they are older now and more independent but when you mingle with the parents, there are also more middle and lower income groups. You don't see so many branded handbags and bling-bling and obscenely huge cars. (So if u see them, they are usually there to pick up a primary "baby".) There is a Malay girl in my DD's class whose parents don't appear at all well-to-do. She was not from SCGPS and her two siblings are also in elite secondary schools. I am so happy for this family! Talk about social mobility through meritocracy!!
As for the school leadership, the Principal is a very ambitious and driven lady but with a good heart. I have also found her approachable and open to suggestions (but please do your research first before presenting them to her). Many people may think she is a tough taskmaster but I think she is mindful of the importance of a balanced and well-rounded education and is doing her best to motivate every student and staff to achieve excellence (quite tiring leh). At the end of the day, she has to face the parents and school board and be accountable for the school's reputation and high standards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:58 pm 
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Metis wrote:
Hi hi,

I have never heard of my daughter and her classmates discussing boys! They do discuss which JCs or fields of study they want to join, and what they want to do when they grow up, since their cohort does not benefit from the IP program. I do wonder if this could be due to the fact that she is in one of the top classes and her peers are really hardworking and focused.
The last time she mentioned boys was when she was in Primary 6. (Four years ago!!!) She told me that some of her schoolmates met boys from tuition classes and they connect on Facebook and go for lunch and ice-cream, etc.
After entering secondary school, there seemed to be a change in the profile of her schoolmates. In primary school, there were quite a number of tai-tais or their drivers hanging around to pick up the kids after school, including a certain socialite featured in yesterday's Sunday Times. In secondary school, these families seem to disappear. I hear many of these kids go on to international secondary schools. In SCGSS, we see more girls taking buses. Yes, they are older now and more independent but when you mingle with the parents, there are also more middle and lower income groups. You don't see so many branded handbags and bling-bling and obscenely huge cars. (So if u see them, they are usually there to pick up a primary "baby".) There is a Malay girl in my DD's class whose parents don't appear at all well-to-do. She was not from SCGPS and her two siblings are also in elite secondary schools. I am so happy for this family! Talk about social mobility through meritocracy!!
As for the school leadership, the Principal is a very ambitious and driven lady but with a good heart. I have also found her approachable and open to suggestions (but please do your research first before presenting them to her). Many people may think she is a tough taskmaster but I think she is mindful of the importance of a balanced and well-rounded education and is doing her best to motivate every student and staff to achieve excellence (quite tiring leh). At the end of the day, she has to face the parents and school board and be accountable for the school's reputation and high standards.

Dear Metis,
Thanks for the post. Very informational and useful for parents who are considering SCGS Secondary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:37 pm 
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Metis wrote:
Hi hi,

:thankyou: :Metis... that is very good sharing.. :salute:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next