Key changes to exams and assessments

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11135
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:208

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:38 pm

pirate wrote:
Coolkidsrock2 wrote:Read somewhere that the illiterate of the 21st century is those who do not know how to re-invent themselves, i.e. learn, unlearn and relearn.
The problem is not the unlearning and relearning. The problem is after that, one may have to restart from the bottom again.
If employers give some credit for maturity and general work experience, although you may have to start lower, it shouldn't be from the absolute bottom. Often, when we unlearn, relearn etc in later life, it is somewhat related to what we already know. In which case, again, it may not be necessary to start from the absolute bottom. But we have to get away from the mindset that life/career/earnings should be a constant upward trajectory through life. Some downward steps periodically, especially after any kind of career switch or in later life, should be expected.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3779
Joined: Wed Jul 04,
Total Likes:47

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by Estéema » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:13 pm

@ slmkhoo I agree with you. One must not always expect upward rewards in remuneration. Granted we were capable of a certain remuneration when young into the workforce & usually one rise thro performance. When we’re young, we’ll need to start off our lives, our new family needs or care for our elderly.

However, during the period of our emplymt, we shld accumulate some savings to buffer uneventful (I know the millennia’s night debate on this). When the uneventful turns up, hopefully we’re able to step down our expectations, unless we’ve overcommitted ourselves. There will be continued needs & pressure on homefront, but s’times taking on a smaller pay pkt may give some relieve till retraining or ano good opportunity comes along.

Life is dynamic. Change is certain in our time & age. It’s happening globally, not one caused just by our own yard. Keeping our minds & skills relevant & sharp shld be an attitude to hold to. A lot depends on our mindset & resilience to bounce back & get active in society. When you search hard enuf, u’ll find lots of pockets of opportunities to contribute to society & find yr new calling & happiness. We’ve seen many change track fr being lawyers to successful F&B bz or run education facilities tho with medical training, etc.

I’ve started asking my kids what do they want to do in their life & how/where wld they find interesting ways to do things that are meaningful to society? That hopefully helps them create new ideas to work themselves usefully in their community (even if it’ll be a global community).

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Oct 20,
Total Likes:9

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:41 pm

I am always reminding my kids to learn something new everyday and to widen their comfort zone as much as possible.

Always sharing with them that the reality is that learning gets harder with age. They are at their prime of learning and must embrace change, challenge themselves to new experiences and be willing to work hard. When they step out to society to work, they should not confine themselves to their job scope. Must be willing to do more and always be looking to do the same work in a more efficient and/or effective way.

They need to be very disciplined in always adding/creating value to themselves.

天天向上

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:53

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by zac's mum » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm

zac's mum wrote:Yup. I am also waiting to see what my P3’s assessment schedule will look like. Hoping for better than MOE’s guideline because my P has a record of being more holistic & a heart of concern for the kids’ wellbeing.
Attended the briefing for P3 parents today, where the P had a chance to explain the changes face-to-face.

I’m happy to hear that she has removed the P3 MYE ahead of MOE’s deadline. And for her assurance that - although the SA2 weightage is 60% - the rationale is to let the kids have the first 3 terms to adjust to their new class + one extra subject. And although the SA2 weightage looks scary, the kids will ALL be promoted en-bloc to P4. So there is zero consequence even if they do badly. Teachers and parents to keep a close eye on the kids’ understanding of the topics all throughout the year (feedback will be given, remedial will be provided for those needing help).

Science is being taught as hands-on fun, in the computer lab, outdoors, in the science lab, they ask the kids to bring toys and practise their classification skills. Maybe I’m still not jaded enough yet but I believe Science is not as boring as memorizing keywords keywords and keywords for exams (like what plenty of other mums tell me). I believe the school when they say the kids all love science lessons. Or maybe they just hate science written exams :laugh:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Posts: 15855
Joined: Mon Sep 03,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:320

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by ChiefKiasu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:28 pm

The thing that relearning implies is initial failure. And the only road to success is relearning. All roads to success have some kind of roadblock. Some obstacles are bigger than others. It is very seldom, perhaps never, that we can accomplish success without trials. This is something that our children need to learn, the sooner the better.


pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4689
Joined: Mon Jul 02,
Total Likes:173

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by pirate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:46 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:The thing that relearning implies is initial failure. And the only road to success is relearning. All roads to success have some kind of roadblock. Some obstacles are bigger than others. It is very seldom, perhaps never, that we can accomplish success without trials. This is something that our children need to learn, the sooner the better.
I think the implication is that the road changes. Like sometimes a rock may fall and block it, or it may disappear due to a landslide.

If you ask me, I say not only the road changes, but sometimes the destination also changes. At age X you may want to go to mountaintop A, but at age Y you may decide that you would rather be at B instead. :wink:

But you may have a problem if kiddo tells you that it does not matter in the end because in a few billion years the sun would burn out and everything would be gone anyway. :shrug:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40410
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:134

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by janet88 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:06 pm

zac's mum wrote: I’m happy to hear that she has removed the P3 MYE ahead of MOE’s deadline. And for her assurance that - although the SA2 weightage is 60% - the rationale is to let the kids have the first 3 terms to adjust to their new class + one extra subject. And although the SA2 weightage looks scary, the kids will ALL be promoted en-bloc to P4. So there is zero consequence even if they do badly. Teachers and parents to keep a close eye on the kids’ understanding of the topics all throughout the year (feedback will be given, remedial will be provided for those needing help).
having 3 terms to adjust to a new class + a new subject is really wonderful!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Posts: 15855
Joined: Mon Sep 03,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:320

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by ChiefKiasu » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 pm

pirate wrote:I think the implication is that the road changes. Like sometimes a rock may fall and block it, or it may disappear due to a landslide.

If you ask me, I say not only the road changes, but sometimes the destination also changes. At age X you may want to go to mountaintop A, but at age Y you may decide that you would rather be at B instead. :wink:

But you may have a problem if kiddo tells you that it does not matter in the end because in a few billion years the sun would burn out and everything would be gone anyway. :shrug:
:rotflmao: You have a good point there. Sigh... teaching kids these days requires knowledge of astronomy... :lol:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40410
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:134

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by janet88 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:45 pm

there should be KEY changes to the education system.

school started on 2/1/19 Wednesday. however, this is not considered term 1 week 1. however, it is term 1 week 0 :siao:
what's the rationale? p1s do not have exams anyway. march holidays will be starting 18/3 instead.
today is the beginning of week 3, which should be week 4. although i'm not the one attending school, I feel like it's forever :cry:
whose :censored: idea is it to have TERM 1 WEEK 0???

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 6702
Joined: Fri Jul 18,
Total Likes:71

Re: Key changes to exams and assessments

Post by hquek » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:13 pm

janet88 wrote:there should be KEY changes to the education system.

school started on 2/1/19 Wednesday. however, this is not considered term 1 week 1. however, it is term 1 week 0 :siao:
what's the rationale? p1s do not have exams anyway. march holidays will be starting 18/3 instead.
today is the beginning of week 3, which should be week 4. although i'm not the one attending school, I feel like it's forever :cry:
whose :censored: idea is it to have TERM 1 WEEK 0???
So call it week 0 or week 1....any difference? Sorry, I'm confused.

Post Reply