Self-publishing a book: anyone done this before?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Giggler1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Re: Self-publishing a book: anyone done this before?

Post by Giggler1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:49 am

Hi slmkhoo, thanks so much for your prompt reply!

I will pass the link to the kids and let them handle it themselves.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:241

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Giggler1 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:49 am
Hi slmkhoo, thanks so much for your prompt reply!

I will pass the link to the kids and let them handle it themselves.
Just thought of something else - if they are planning to print the books, they should think about quantity. If less than 300 copies, digital printing is cheaper than offset, but most digital printers only use standard paper sizes (A4, A5 etc), not paperback book sizes (9"x6", 8.5"x5.5" etc). So when they format the book, they should start with the right paper size (saves work later). If they plan on printing more than 300 copies, offset printing is cheaper per book, and they can do different sizes. I expect they won't want that many copies!

For ebook, they don't need to specify size.

Also, technically, any book published in Singapore needs to be deposited with National Library. They can also apply for ISBN. See:
https://www.nlb.gov.sg/deposit/home/index

Giggler1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by Giggler1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:28 pm

Your advice is very helpful!

Thanks.

Vince19
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Vince19 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:53 am

I am also interested to try this one too! I have worked as a ghostwriter for a Taiwanese fiction writer and the book that she published was a big hit in 2015. Finally, I have the courage to try this one out but I don't know where to start. I have finished several fiction stories that I have kept for years and I wanted to publish this and make an income out of it.

travoltagetriggered
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by travoltagetriggered » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:41 pm

I think Singapore Writers Festival can help independent writers to publish as well. But it's only certain genres that they are interested in

quotidianballet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by quotidianballet » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:23 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 pm
Anyone self-published a book in print as well as ebook? Small, non-fiction book for a select audience. Any tips would be welcome.
Publishing with a publisher is better, as they can market the book for you and already have a customer base.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:07 am

quotidianballet wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:23 pm
slmkhoo wrote:
Anyone self-published a book in print as well as ebook? Small, non-fiction book for a select audience. Any tips would be welcome.
Publishing with a publisher is better, as they can market the book for you and already have a customer base.
True, but they only accept books which have a fairly guaranteed appeal to large pool of potentional customers. For more niche books, self-publishing is probably the only way to do it.

quotidianballet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by quotidianballet » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:37 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:07 am
quotidianballet wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:23 pm
slmkhoo wrote:
True, but they only accept books which have a fairly guaranteed appeal to large pool of potentional customers. For more niche books, self-publishing is probably the only way to do it.

You can try BooksActually, founded by Kenny Leck. He is an avid fan of Singaporean Literature and open to accepting drafts from new authors. But the store has an indie/hipster slant and most of the books there fall under poetry or prose by young singaporean authors

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:08 pm

quotidianballet wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:37 am
You can try BooksActually, founded by Kenny Leck. He is an avid fan of Singaporean Literature and open to accepting drafts from new authors. But the store has an indie/hipster slant and most of the books there fall under poetry or prose by young singaporean authors
Not my area.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Post by zac's mum » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:24 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:03 am
pirate wrote:Don't forget to get an ISBN number for your book. Then you have to deposit 2 copies with the NLB.
Kindle provides the ISBN, so I won't need to get one from NLB. But I will comply with the legal deposit requirements if/when my book actually gets published.

I'm still finalising the main text (asking someone to write a foreword), and I'm playing around with Kindle's Cover Creator - a bit limited and restrictive, but OK for non-fiction, I guess. It took me the better part of 2 days to format the manuscript as I'm not so familiar with things like styles, headers/footers etc. Kindle has a good document with guidelines, and I have worked as a book editor (but formatting was done by other people, not me), so I think it's OK now.

Maybe after this experience, I can freelance to help people publish on Kindle.
Hi slmkhoo, I have recently written a first draft of a fiction book (all text, no pics), planning to finalize & get it out there soon. I would like to consult you on how to publish into ebook format (not interested in print publishing yet unless it sells well) - how was Kindle & their guidelines? Easy to work with? What about Kobo? Will they accept the same format?

Pls PM me when you have some free time. If you’d like to lump in your editing fees with the consultation as a lump sum, I’d be very happy :)