ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:82

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Estéema wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 pm
This evening DH bought masks of 50 pcs says can choose fr China, Vietnam or Indonesia. I do most expensive. Suddenly a flood of masks supplies but expensive leh
Where did he buy them from? How much?

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 pm
phtthp wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:38 pm
Swimming & ballet, cannot e learning.

For ballet, let's say u stretch your leg wrongly. Tr got to bend your leg back to the correct way or correct angle, then u learn. Tr got to adjust your posture on the spot, still need that personal touch guidance to guide, tell u specifically which dance step mistake made wrongly

Violin, piano also cannot e learning. You place your violin bow on your shoulder at the wrong angle, Tr got to tell u shouldn't do it this way or that way. No lah, not everything can be learnt e-learning way.

For academic subjects,
some subjects' components can accept taught by e-learning way, but other subjects cannot. For those cannot, go for private tuition
For piano, as long as the student already knows the right posture and how the fingers should bend, e-learning can be done. The higher the level is, the easier to do it in e-learning because usually only need to correct the dynamics and tempo on certain parts to emphasize some expressions.
The sound transmitted online and those directly from piano is different. The articulation and expression will be lost in translation.
For lower level, to go through scales and technical skills, sight reading, OK. But not everything

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:91

Post by Estéema » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 pm
Estéema wrote:
This evening DH bought masks of 50 pcs says can choose fr China, Vietnam or Indonesia. I do most expensive. Suddenly a flood of masks supplies but expensive leh

They hv kids’ sizes too but more expensive than adults

Pmed u

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Estéema wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm
ngl2010 wrote:
Estéema wrote:

They hv kids’ sizes too but more expensive than adults

Pmed u
Thank you Esteema :smile:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:55

Post by MrsKiasu » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 pm

per pc is how much? I just received today..someone mailed to me but refused to tell me how much...I see that online platform selling quite alot but didn't buy le.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:15 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 pm
ngl2010 wrote:
For piano, as long as the student already knows the right posture and how the fingers should bend, e-learning can be done. The higher the level is, the easier to do it in e-learning because usually only need to correct the dynamics and tempo on certain parts to emphasize some expressions.
The sound transmitted online and those directly from piano is different. The articulation and expression will be lost in translation.
For lower level, to go through scales and technical skills, sight reading, OK. But not everything
Maybe need a better microphone? Of course the quality of live and recorded is different but so far we can still hear the articulation and expression of those recordings of piano pieces on cd, spotify, youtube, etc, right? I honestly think it is easier for upper level to learn piano via e-learning than the lower level. Maybe Grade 5 onwards? Just need to tell the student which bar needs to improve what/how then the student should be able to apply the teacher's input. No need to even show the student how to do it.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:91

Post by Estéema » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 pm

The problem with students switching to online learning is some families do not hv access to WiFi.

Recently, some M’sians who used to work in SG, was told they can still work fr home. But many bosses realized many M’sians are not able to do so even after eyers provide company configured laptops.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:42

Post by MyPillow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Estéema wrote:
Esteema, pls pm me where to buy too

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:52

Post by chenlaoshi » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:28 pm

Jadedfox wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 pm
Actually I was referring to gym, as in places you lift weights and take part in aerobics classes
Fitness First announced today that they'll be closed from 27 March to 30 April.

On a side note, TimeZone made a similar announcement regarding closure of all their arcades during the same period too. Tough but right decisions.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:126

Post by zac's mum » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:24 am

ngl2010 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:15 pm
6thisnthat9 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 pm
ngl2010 wrote:
Maybe need a better microphone? Of course the quality of live and recorded is different but so far we can still hear the articulation and expression of those recordings of piano pieces on cd, spotify, youtube, etc, right? I honestly think it is easier for upper level to learn piano via e-learning than the lower level. Maybe Grade 5 onwards? Just need to tell the student which bar needs to improve what/how then the student should be able to apply the teacher's input. No need to even show the student how to do it.
I think the issue may be that most families put their pianos in the living room, which is not an enclosed space. There’s plenty of background noise. And if you believe the adverts out there, they expect families to use regular iPads for the video call. There’s no special microphone. That’s nowhere comparable to the sound quality of recording in a soundproof studio.

Remote teaching, can spot and rectify any wrong notes, but at higher levels, teacher also help correct the expression and articulation. How can the teacher hear accurately whether the student has done a diminuendo or not? Or whether the pedal has been stepped on/lifted off for the appropriate length of time? Teacher needs to see the foot not just diagnose from the length of the sound of the sustained note.