School Donation

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

School Donation

Postby KSP » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:22 am

My dd (P2) brought back a donation card from her school last night. Just want to find out how do you handle school donation? Do you really go round asking for donation? Do you just fill up all the slots yourself? But it will cost me more than $500 if I do that.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:45 am

Tough thing this one. My colleague brought to office and we all chipped in a bit. My turn is not yet here - but I foresee I'll be the one (plus family) to bankroll their donation cards.

Personally I don't like this kind of things. It's alright to organise activities to get money. But to give a kid card and ask him/her to go canvass? Who is he/she going to ask - classmates? I heard of case where a child goes back with blank card, teacher scold. So young already got targets to meet. :P

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:54 am

Is your child from missonary school??? Used to study in a CHIJ school and there was so many of such card fund raising activities. Yes... had to go round asking relative especially during CNY to fill the rows.

Fortunately, my kids school don't have that. Imagine if 3 kids in the same school. Will that be X 3 cards :!: So far they are only asked to donate a hongbao after CNY. Amount is up to them. There are some other donations like president challenge? etc... but that is up to individual to give type.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:09 am

my sec sch used to get us to bring home donation cards for the school's fund raising (for building new blocks) event. i was hence nicknamed as such by my relatives so much so that i basically just fill in the card myself without seeking out donations from them after a while.
so if my kids is having donation, i will usually get him to donate a reasonable amount and do a dollar-to-dollar matching; we'll keep it within the family.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Luvkid » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:16 am

DS1 had brought one of those donation card back(mentioning for school improvement) last year when he was P1. The school gave out the card just before the lunar new year eve :evil: ,knew that chinese pupils would go house visiting with the cards?? :!: Anyway, we DID NOT go any house visiting last year, so of cos DS1 dun give to everybody and said," Gong xi fa cai, pls donate..." :P :oops: But allowed him to bring during the reunion dinner and asked for donation from DH & my parents & siblings. Managed to recall years back, 1 of my cousins who was still in pri sch then brought the card during CNY while i was busying giving ang bao, he came to me and asked for donation, i said," Get it from the ang bao u have received, that will be enough..." :P But of cos, i donated $2 lah....

I won't do such thing as to fill in ALL by myself, the most i will put $10 and split into 5 times of $2 or 10 times of $1 :lol: , then at least it was being filled quite a lot.....

We try to do a bit for our darling babies here, to show them we are involved with their school activities... :love:

Luvkid
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Luvkid » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:28 am

jedamum wrote:..... i basically just fill in the card myself without seeking out donations from them after a while....

sound like me too..... i recalled back there was 1 time, i filled up the slots from my pocket money, filled up something like $10, take hard time to save that.... :cry: At that time, mum just walked out of the house,dad couldn't be bothered by SO MUCH NONSENSE on top of that, the rest of the siblings still in school except for elder sis, i did everything silently in order not to let dad and sis being bothered :pray: And i ouldn't just let teachers and friends knew about my family problem and dared not hand in blank card, so i......... :cry:

Luvkid
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 am

I believe that is most schools' intent too...if cannot fill it up, then fill it up on your own. This is compulsory donation, no 2 ways about it. :roll:

In KSP's case, if each student raise $500, can raise up to almost $1M. :!: Why they need so much money? :|
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Postby jedamum » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 am

Luvkid wrote:
jedamum wrote:..... i basically just fill in the card myself without seeking out donations from them after a while....

sound like me too..... i recalled back there was 1 time, i filled up the slots from my pocket money, filled up something like $10, take hard time to save that.... :cry: At that time, mum just walked out of the house,dad couldn't be bothered by SO MUCH NONSENSE on top of that, the rest of the siblings still in school except for elder sis, i did everything silently in order not to let dad and sis being bothered :pray: And i ouldn't just let teachers and friends knew about my family problem and dared not hand in blank card, so i......... :cry:

ya...split the $10 into so many columns....heartpain ah...don't dare approach parents again and again later kena 'suan' by them why i chose not to go to a neighbourhood school...

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Luvkid » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 am

Even now, i did the same for DS1 when necessary.

mine was a neighbourhood school then..... :oops: Princess Elizabeth....

Luvkid
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 am

donation for what purpose?

tankee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recess Time