General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

...why is PSLE more famous than O' Level

Postby Tr34T » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Also, why is PSLE more famous than O' Level

Tr34T
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby auntieM » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:17 pm

:? Dun quite catch what you referring to.. ...

'famous' meaning more 'talked about' is it?

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Because it's easier for parents to be involved in their children's preparation for psle than o levels ( academic wise and puberty/ growing up).

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Cheval » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:00 am

auntieM wrote::? Dun quite catch what you referring to.. ...

'famous' meaning more 'talked about' is it?

You are right, I guess. Just more emphasized. To me, it's because of its importance. I myself consider PSLE much more important than 'O'-level. My son is now on P6, tough, tough his current life!

Cheval
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:16 am

PSLE has increased in significance over the years because of the following:

1. Children go to better preschool and become more advanced in their learning process. More parents stay at home to coach their children as well. People become more affluent and single-income becomes more and more popular.
2. This in turn leads MOE to believe that children's academic talent can be uncovered at a tender age and quite many outstanding performances have been demonstrated by a small but significant sample at first.
3. Hence alot of filtering the talent programme has been emphasized at PSLE. Whether a talented person goes to university or not is already pre-determined at the primary level at PSLE because of IP.
4. However, when MOE did this, it was to cater for a specific group/type of children.
5. No parent will think their children should be left behind.
6. So thereafter comes the kiasu wave that tries to push every child into this idea and enrichment and tuition kicks in to achieve this new "Singapore Dream" of a child selected for premium university education. University education is already a common dream, now is premium university education, i.e. ivy -league.
7. As far as MOE is concerned, this is added bonus to them if more people wants to push the wave....nothing to lose, everything to gain.
8. SO the CARROT is set at PSLE...........so-called meritocracy race to the university.

Postby sleepy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:47 pm

ksi wrote:PSLE has increased in significance over the years because of the following:

1. Children go to better preschool and become more advanced in their learning process. More parents stay at home to coach their children as well. People become more affluent and single-income becomes more and more popular.
2. This in turn leads MOE to believe that children's academic talent can be uncovered at a tender age and quite many outstanding performances have been demonstrated by a small but significant sample at first.
3. Hence alot of filtering the talent programme has been emphasized at PSLE. Whether a talented person goes to university or not is already pre-determined at the primary level at PSLE because of IP.
4. However, when MOE did this, it was to cater for a specific group/type of children.
6. So thereafter comes the kiasu wave that tries to push every child into this idea and enrichment and tuition kicks in to achieve this new "Singapore Dream" of a child selected for premium university education. University education is already a common dream, now is premium university education, i.e. ivy -league.
7. As far as MOE is concerned, this is added bonus to them if more people wants to push the wave....nothing to lose, everything to gain.
8. SO the CARROT is set at PSLE...........so-called meritocracy race to the university.

:goodpost:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Parents feel they have a part to play and can do something in helping their PSLE child to get good results.

Whereas come to O level, parents have very little or no influence over their teenagers child. All have to depend on how smart, hardworking and motivated the child is.

Another point is that PSLE is like the parents still holding the lottery ticket while waiting for the results with very high hopes.

O level is like you can already tell whether a child can make it or not even before the actual exam.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Donkey Kong » Thu May 06, 2010 7:05 pm

But, when one apply Govt job, they want to know from O level onwards.

They don't want to know how well you have done in PSLE. :?

Why?

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 pm

PSLE is a national placement exam. It ranks your kid's performance against his peers in the same cohort and gets to choose his/her dream schools/top schools

dream /top (sec) schools means IP, through train, in the very established JC which has over the years developed sound and tried processes and skills and curriculum to produce good A level graduates who are university bound, get into choices courses, gets scholarships.....

for those who do not make it to IP sec schools from PSLE, at least hoping for a good, gooder sec school to get good 'O' level result and hopefully get into a good JC (if place still available and not taken up fully by the through train people).

so you see, the competition has shifted from 'O' Level down to PSLE due to the change in the education landscape and system

last time u and i just compete for how many 'O' level A1s to get into top JCs....now it is T-score. Some of course are aiming for t-score of 303 (full scores plus higher MT distinction....)

so if you gets into HCI / RI / RGS / NYGH / DHS ..... you are quite certain to be uni-bound .... work harder and may be gets a scholarship .... and some will make it into admin service .... voila ! u are made for life, my friend !

also, once u are in the top JCs......the doors are open wide for Ivy-league uni, and the same in UK too ..... you are not likely to be in NUS / NTU / SMU. U will be talking about Yale, MIT, Wharton, Harvard, Berkerly, UCLA, Cambridge, Oxford, Insead, LSE, UL, Duke, John Hopkins, Beida, Tsinhua, Fudan, etc
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Thu May 06, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 pm

sleepy wrote:
ksi wrote:PSLE has increased in significance over the years because of the following:

:goodpost:

Actually sleepy, I was really clueless when my child was born...but over the years of meeting the most ks parents in town, I learned alot from them about the new system, so it set me thinking....and I finally saw the light.... Now PSLE is the stressful exam, I see most parents taking a relaxed disposition from Sec 1 onwards....funny right when subjects increased by double or more and with more compulsory CCAs......it's just so WEIRD........ :roll: No doubt parents could be more involved at the primary level than the secondary level, many children lose alot of childhood time which can never return.

Next

Return to Recess Time