Interior Designer - Any recommendation

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve

Interior Designer - Any recommendation

Postby sheryl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Any recommendation for Interior designer who is experienced in landed properties? Would also need contact for builder/ contractor.

Postby smurf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:40 pm

erm, I dun have personal experience, but you can PM me for this contact. recommended by a friend. heard that his design is good. :D

Postby MMM » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Sheryl,

Thought of sharing some experience we had.

We did an A&A work 2 years back. In our case, we didn't get a interior designer. Reason being that prior to that we had gotten a designer to do up our old place (condo) and we only stayed there for 8 years. When we moved, we cannot bring along anything as it's all build in. With that experience, we were very clear that we want to minimise build in stuff but we rather buy things off the rack. The other key reason is also that we know exactly what we want and of course we have a budget to work on.

We spoke to several contractors and the charges really varies widely. It can swing by $100K. In the end, we settled for someone who has done several works in our area. To keep within our budget, we also used a professional engineer that doubles up as a architect. This saving of $20k allows us to do other works.

My contractor is fine. He is the type who is rather reliable and reasonable. But working with him, we need to come up with most of the ideas which fortunately everything turn out as we wanted. But just felt given his experience, he could have been more creative or offer us more ideas. Though we do have some "regrets" like things we should have done at that point too. I personally believe that no one is perfect and this applies to our contractor as well.

My impression of contractors in general is that before they get your business, everything works but after they start to work on the place, they will deviate, have dispute, etc... Eg in our old place, I recall that it reach a point whereby we get to pay lesser because of some issues with the renovation. My sil also encountered the same with her contractor.

Postby flametree » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi mmm,

can i have the contact of the engineer that doubles up as architect for your a&a work?

we are planning for a&a work to be done next yr ... now sourcing for contacts.

Postby auntieM » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:06 pm

smurf wrote:erm, I dun have personal experience, but you can PM me for this contact. recommended by a friend. heard that his design is good. :D

Hi smurf,
Would you kindly PM me your contact too please!
TIA :wink:

Return to Recess Time