Craze for Children's Books!

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Why do you buy children's books?

My children will/wans to read it
41%
Kiasu nature, and there's a particular series that everyone is supporting.
5%
My hobby, and hope my children will read it someday
21%
All of the above
28%
Others.....
5%

Total votes : 58

Craze for Children's Books!

Postby kids_r_innocent » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:22 am

Many S'porean parents are willing to buy tons and tons of storybooks for their beloved children. My recent craze is buying children's books, think i have spent QUITE a lot (thks to my hubby's support).

I am wondering if ALL the storybooks purchased will be "read" to good use. OR its the kiasu parents who wans to juz buy and keep (becoz everyone else is buying). Hee... think i have both reasons to support my purchase. What abt you? :D

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:40 pm

We only buy those that we know will be read and re-read. Ever since DD1 was able to indicate her preferences, she has a say in the purchase. It just depends on whether we think it's worth it. DD2 is still very, very young so she'll just "inherit" DD1's books first.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Luanee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Yeah my dd1 is crazy about books (she is 8yo btw). Everytime we go shopping she would want to buy a book. Her daddy would usually oblige but I will control and say No no!! We have too many books already!!

Thing is, the library usually dont have the ones she wants like the Rainbow Magic and Geronimo series.. so yeah, we do end up with a lot of books. Hopefully they will still be 'in fashion' when dd2 reaches her age.

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm the siao one who's buying children's book left right and centre, but I've learnt my lesson. But I buy mainly classics and non-fiction books that are generally hard to find in libraries. I take DS preference into account, but ultimately I call the shots what to buy. Thankfully, he's ok to read whatever I have in store.

For easily available fiction titles, I rather borrow cos DS1 will only read 1 time. For those popular titles that are impossible to locate, I'll just spent $1.55 to reserve (cheaper than buying).

We're still slowly plowing through those books. My aim is to at least read them once through..although I have to admit that I've just purchased another load. :oops: Don't think we'll ever run out of 'owned' materials pending our reading.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Another few reasons to offer:

1. Parents like me were deprived when young
2. H1N1 and many communable diseases so I don't like library books
3. Like to re-read some good books
4. Some books we write in it, so gotta buy

But it explodes the house for sure. :shock:

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:11 pm

hquek wrote:I'm the siao one who's buying children's book left right and centre

Same same ... but am quite discerning.

I do buy books from unfamiliar authors as well. Just as long as the plot is interesting, I am fine with it :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BlueBells » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Same .. I spend tons on books too, both English and Chinese. I try to expose my kids to a wide variety of books. Come to think of it, besides the washroom and kitchen, I have a bookshelf every where else in the house.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mummy of 2 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:36 pm

autumnbronze wrote:
hquek wrote:I'm the siao one who's buying children's book left right and centre

I do buy books from unfamiliar authors as well. Just as long as the plot is interesting, I am fine with it :D

Same here. Love to buy, but forced to be discerning, due to lack of space and DH's nagging :roll:

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:39 pm

My problem is stopping DD from reading...at least not before she completes her homework!

I guess I don't have an issue with her reading, but it's how she manages her time and setting priorities.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby hquek » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:43 pm

autumnbronze wrote:

Ha ha...usually mine are tried and tested. Either familiar authors/series, or something that has won much acclaim. If so many pp find it good read, I guess I would too.

I only buy 'blind' (eg off the website) if the price and content is too good to ignore. Even then, I will scour search engines for good/bad review.

Space is too precious to be wasted on lousy books. :P

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time