Any recommendation for portable air con?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Any recommendation for portable air con?

Postby HyperKiasu » Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Dear fellow parents,

I am considering buying a portable air con for one commonroom. any advice? which brand and what model is good? i tried to goodle, not much infor...

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Sat May 08, 2010 10:40 pm

why don't you get windown unit? It is about $600+

I heard portable aircon uses ice (not sure if it is true). Not so good for bones if it is the case.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby markfch » Sun May 09, 2010 12:56 pm

My dad used to have a portable air-con but its use is limited as we had difficulty circulating the air-flow. Yes, I think window unit is still better.
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Sun May 09, 2010 2:29 pm

Dear caroline3sg & markfch,

thanks for your reply.

my hubby dislike aircon thus yrs ago we installed split air con for two bedrooms only, leaving one common room unair-con.
now as kids are growing old plus parents will come to stay with us during school holidays, so i think portable can offer flexiblity so that it can be used for either living room and common room.
heard BTU 120000 can cool an area of 400 sqf.
no need to use ice.

may i know what cause the difficulty in airflow circulation? the vendor told me the hot air will be circulated out of window through a hose connected with the window grille... is it the same for your dad's case?

for window units, does it have to be installed in the window or below/above window? it needs a pipe for water drainage?
appreciated your information...

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby markfch » Sun May 09, 2010 3:31 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:may i know what cause the difficulty in airflow circulation? the vendor told me the hot air will be circulated out of window through a hose connected with the window grille... is it the same for your dad's case?

In my dad's case, the bed was right next to the window so it was difficult to pull a hose from air-con to window. In the end, we had to left the bedroom door ajar for the hot air to come out. Quite unslightly.
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Sun May 09, 2010 4:20 pm

for window unit, the part of the window occupied by the aircon cannot close else the hot air cannot go out. Your curtain also cannot draw to cover the aircon.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Sun May 09, 2010 6:53 pm

markfch wrote:
HyperKiasu wrote:may i know what cause the difficulty in airflow circulation? the vendor told me the hot air will be circulated out of window through a hose connected with the window grille... is it the same for your dad's case?

In my dad's case, the bed was right next to the window so it was difficult to pull a hose from air-con to window. In the end, we had to left the bedroom door ajar for the hot air to come out. Quite unslightly.

i c.
the common room quite big. think i might need to rearrange the furniture...
thanks

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby HyperKiasu » Sun May 09, 2010 6:54 pm

caroline3sg wrote:for window unit, the part of the window occupied by the aircon cannot close else the hot air cannot go out. Your curtain also cannot draw to cover the aircon.

i c. also heard windows unit quite noisy...

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Sun May 09, 2010 9:57 pm

yes, it has some noise. Not quiet like split unit. I may consider getting window unit for my study room.

In the market, there is only 2 brands, grey Panasonic (if I remember the brand correctly) and white Carrier. Previously I have used carrier window unit before and lasted rather long. But the saleperson recommended Pana but the colour is not nice.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Mon May 10, 2010 10:15 am

caroline3sg wrote:yes, it has some noise. Not quiet like split unit. I may consider getting window unit for my study room.

In the market, there is only 2 brands, grey Panasonic (if I remember the brand correctly) and white Carrier. Previously I have used carrier window unit before and lasted rather long. But the saleperson recommended Pana but the colour is not nice.

ya, Carrier is good. my split is Carrier too. 27 degree is cool enough, and it is super quiet. very economic bill also....

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time