Recommendation for Driving School

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Recommendation for Driving School

Postby BigDevil » Mon May 10, 2010 9:27 am

Does anyone have any recommendation for a driving school?

Or would you recommend those big driving centres (the neared ones for us will be Ubi or Woodlands)?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby autumnbronze » Mon May 10, 2010 1:22 pm

BigD,

I went to the one in AMK, near Yio Chu Kang. I believe they have now moved to Woodlands.

There is one particular instructor who is v v v good. I had to pay extra to have a fixed instructor but he was v worth it. He is patient, took the time and effort to explain technical details plus was a hands on instructor, the sort who will get out of the car and make you get out as well and explain why the wheel ran over the curb, present possible driving scenarios to you and explain how to handle them etc ... He's chatty too and I found out later he had 5 or 6 kids :!: Hence, his patience, I suppose.

What I also like about him is that he is not strictly by the book kinda person. For instance, when learning parallel parking, he not only taught me the 'pole' method, he also taught me how/what to gauge when faced with parallel parking after obtaining one's license (real life situation). I am happy to say that although I generally avoid parking in parallel lots, if I have to, I can :wink:

If you want, I can PM you his details. Just checked the website, he is still around :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BigDevil » Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks, autumnbronze. Do PM me his details please.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby HyperKiasu » Mon May 10, 2010 2:13 pm

autumnbronze wrote:BigD,

I went to the one in AMK, near Yio Chu Kang. I believe they have now moved to Woodlands.

There is one particular instructor who is v v v good. I had to pay extra to have a fixed instructor but he was v worth it. He is patient, took the time and effort to explain technical details plus was a hands on instructor, the sort who will get out of the car and make you get out as well and explain why the wheel ran over the curb, present possible driving scenarios to you and explain how to handle them etc ... He's chatty too and I found out later he had 5 or 6 kids :!: Hence, his patience, I suppose.

What I also like about him is that he is not strictly by the book kinda person. For instance, when learning parallel parking, he not only taught me the 'pole' method, he also taught me how/what to gauge when faced with parallel parking after obtaining one's license (real life situation). I am happy to say that although I generally avoid parking in parallel lots, if I have to, I can :wink:

If you want, I can PM you his details. Just checked the website, he is still around :D

thanks autumnbronze, please PM me also.... :thankyou:

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Mon May 10, 2010 2:24 pm

BigDevil wrote:Thanks, autumnbronze. Do PM me his details please.

PM you liao ... :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby autumnbronze » Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:thanks autumnbronze, please PM me also.... :thankyou:

PM liao :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LKVM » Mon May 10, 2010 2:30 pm

How much generally u need to pay to learn driving and getting the licence?

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon May 10, 2010 2:33 pm

LKVM wrote:How much generally u need to pay to learn driving and getting the licence?

During my time was about 1K.....now perhaps between 1-2k. It also depends you pass the test at how many sittings, the more, you will need more lessons costs.

Postby autumnbronze » Mon May 10, 2010 2:59 pm

LKVM wrote:How much generally u need to pay to learn driving and getting the licence?

I paid quite a bit cuz I wanted a fixed instructor in the driving sch. Came up to almost 3K. Almost must see what timings you book your lessons on, if during peak period, then pay more lor :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby atrecord » Mon May 10, 2010 3:09 pm

autumnbronze wrote:

I paid quite a bit cuz I wanted a fixed instructor in the driving sch. Came up to almost 3K. Almost must see what timings you book your lessons on, if during peak period, then pay more lor :D

wow, how much have the rates increased...
i remember i spent just less than $400 on my license, from the first i think $20 to register for basic theory... passed it at first try, which was during my BMT block leave, just days before my PDL was going to expire... that was in 1988...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time