how to keep cloths hanging in the closet smelling nice?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

how to keep cloths hanging in the closet smelling nice?

Postby pink_daisy » Mon May 10, 2010 4:04 pm

hi all,

how to keep cloths hanging in the closet smelling fresh n nice? i tried putting freshener, charcoal n those thirsty-hippo thing but still not much use.

pink_daisy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby LOLMum » Mon May 10, 2010 4:17 pm

i spray perfume into the cupbaord once in a while and i only put clothes in my cupboard (no shoes, no other things)

if you are thinking of wearing the clothes twice, please do not hang them in the cupboard after one wear. the smell of the worn clothes is awful.

before you cook, please move all the clothes on the poles to another room. the smell is :!:
Last edited by LOLMum on Mon May 10, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby minnie2004 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:39 pm

The best is put the clothes under the sun for drying. The smell is really great afterwards 8) .

minnie2004
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Mon May 10, 2010 5:05 pm

I collect soap from the hotels we stay in and place them in the cupboard.

You also buy those scented satchets as well.

BodyShop used to sell scented tablets which you can place in the cupboards many years back. They were actually long lasting. Don't know if they still have them.

Is your cupboard 'overcrowded' with clothes?? Perhaps you may want to consider investing in another then ....

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:13 pm

no smell if there is no worn & no unwashed clothes inside sharing the space.

all clothes must be thoroughly dried before putting in

whether sun dried or machine dried makes no difference .... we use both when there is a lot to dry
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Mon May 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Also make sure the clothes are dry before keeping. Otherwise it will smell really horrible.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby thebusybee » Tue May 11, 2010 3:42 am

Are you referring to the mouldy smell?

It could be from the furniture made of mdf materials which gets mouldy easily by the amt of moisture in the environment, hence causing the smell. A few of my ikea's chest drawers have the smell too.

To counter that:
1) I place those wooden balls drip with essential oils like rose/ lavendar / sandalwood in the drawer/ cupboard - strong enuff to cover the smell
2) make sure the clothes are dried thouroughly, heat from sun and after ironing trapped inside folded clothes can build up moisture too. Best to let all clothes cool down before folding/ hanging in the wardrobe.

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sakura_2009 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:35 am

thebusybee wrote:Are you referring to the mouldy smell?

It could be from the furniture made of mdf materials which gets mouldy easily by the amt of moisture in the environment, hence causing the smell. A few of my ikea's chest drawers have the smell too.

To counter that:
1) I place those wooden balls drip with essential oils like rose/ lavendar / sandalwood in the drawer/ cupboard - strong enuff to cover the smell
2) make sure the clothes are dried thouroughly, heat from sun and after ironing trapped inside folded clothes can build up moisture too. Best to let all clothes cool down before folding/ hanging in the wardrobe.

Sorry :offtopic: abit.

Besides the smell, I also have the problem of 'stains' on some of the clothes in the wardrobe, especially bedsheets/pillow/bolster covers. I have several sets of bedsheets/mattress covers and each time I changed the bedsheets/pillow covers, I will wash/dry and keep them in the wardrobe. But the next time I take them out, I noticed that there are 'yellowish stains' on some of the covers, especially near the edges that have been folded :!: Its similar to cloth that have been kept and not used for a long time....why is that so :?

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pink_daisy » Tue May 11, 2010 9:05 am

i did make sure all the cloths r dry before keeping them away n i don overcrowd my wardrobe. i don hang any worn cloths in my room either..i oso put those wooden scented balls but still got one kind of smell...but erm..mine is walk-in wardrobe concept.. so is there a problem? it is 'connected' to the master bedroom toilet but i do keep my toilet door close all the time..

pink_daisy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Recess Time