Labelling your students stupid?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Labelling your students stupid?

Postby blackberrycck » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm

How would u find a teacher who calls a student stupid?

blackberrycck
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Labelling your students stupid?

Postby Donkey Kong » Thu May 13, 2010 6:39 pm

blackberrycck wrote:How would u find a teacher who calls a student stupid?

Advise him/her to go for counselling. :lol:

Even intellecturally disabled, also cannot label stupid! :cry:

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Labelling your students stupid?

Postby 3Boys » Thu May 13, 2010 7:11 pm

blackberrycck wrote:How would u find a teacher who calls a student stupid?

Context?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby blackberrycck » Fri May 14, 2010 1:47 pm

i was talking to my colleagues about education, den one of them told me he change tuition centre because the teacher called his son stupid which makes his son came home crying.

blackberrycck
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Akin » Fri May 14, 2010 3:25 pm

on one can label others as stupid, in your case if good that your colleague take this up to the tution centre.

Akin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby skunk » Fri May 14, 2010 5:30 pm

it really depends on the situation. If a person really did something really really stupid, then the person should be scolded as such. Our society is molly-coodling the next generation, raising a generation of weaklings that cannot be scolded even if they're in the wrong.

Of course, if the scolding is not justified, then the teacher is in the wrong.

For example, if the student plays a dangerous prank like pull out the chair of another student as he's about to sit down, causing him to crash onto the floor, potentially breaking the spine and causing paralysis, then the prankster should be scolded as stupid.

Need to assess the situation, the severity of the words used to scold a person must match the offense.

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrstng » Fri May 14, 2010 6:31 pm

In any situation, a person is not stupid. But the action and behavior is.

By saying "X is stupid" vs "X has done a stupid action" has total different meaning to both kids and adult. The latter's comment justify but not the former.

Parents must report the teacher's bad attitude to the ctr if indeed the former remark is made. Cannot let such 'bad' teacher do away with poor teaching attitude.

As parents, one should also clarify with the teacher to piece up the true story.

mrstng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby skunk » Fri May 14, 2010 6:59 pm

mrstng wrote:In any situation, a person is not stupid. But the action and behavior is.

By saying "X is stupid" vs "X has done a stupid action" has total different meaning to both kids and adult. The latter's comment justify but not the former.

Only stupid people do stupid actions. When a person, any person, is doing a stupid action, that person is stupid at that moment in time and space.

Just call a spade a spade. Stupid means stupid. What's wrong with being stupid sometimes? Get scolded, don't repeat it and move on with Life.

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri May 14, 2010 9:25 pm

I always tell my students,"You are not STUPID, so please put in some effort and you will not make so many mistakes and do much better."

Well, if my students have selective hearing, it will be,"You are STUPID, so you will not do much better."

:x opps :x

Just sharing that sometimes kids did not understand what the teacher meant fully and will take certain words into offence.
It's good for parents to clarify and explain.

We can't possibly asked our child to 'quit' everytime someone uses a nasty word on them. Imagine how are they going to survive NS (for the boys) and the real working world outside when we shelter them too much?

I hope I will be a protective mum, but not over-protective. Sometimes I need my hubs to remind me when I become over-protective. :) It's rather normal for parents now to feel this way.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby STan » Sat May 15, 2010 1:54 am

Akin wrote:on one can label others as stupid, in your case if good that your colleague take this up to the tution centre.

my son's school maths teacher say he is hopeless cos he fail his term test by 2 marks. He is in sec 2 and is very sensitive to such remark.

STan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time