Exceptional Motherhood

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Exceptional Motherhood

Postby Angelight » Fri May 21, 2010 6:28 pm

I believe all mothers are great. But some mothers are exceptional becos they went against the odds, suffered unspeakable pains both physically and mentally just to conceive, deliver and bring up their kids.

How do you define exceptional? Some egs., a mature mother who beat her biological clock to go through painful IVFs just to have a child; a woman who went through several miscarriages before finally delivered a healthy baby; a mother who despite marital abuse and broken marriage gave her child the best she could etc...

Are you an exceptional mother? Or someone you know is one? Let's share your stories here. :hugs:

No offence for the daddies here. Maybe you can start another thread on Exceptional Fatherhood.
:wink:

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Exceptional Motherhood

Postby tankee » Fri May 21, 2010 9:49 pm

a mature mother who beat her biological clock to go through painful IVFs just to have a child

No. This is done for herself or her hubby, got absolutely nothing to do with the child

a woman who went through several miscarriages before finally delivered a healthy baby;

No. This is done for herself or her hubby, got absolutely nothing to do with the child

a mother who despite marital abuse and broken marriage gave her child the best she could etc...

Yes. Definitely YES !

tankee
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Fri May 21, 2010 10:07 pm

i find that parents who can afford t(by 'afford' i meant can give sufficiently good home environment and attend to their needs; i don't mean just 'feeding' them) to have children and chooses to have more children (by 'more', i meant 4 or more) are exceptional - like 2ppaamm and another one that i know; typically they can afford to give their kids music lessons and/or sufficient home/school support and chose not to just stop at 2.
i don't have that courage, so I applaud them.
am I OT-ing? :oops:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby foreverj » Fri May 21, 2010 10:49 pm

not to downplay the efforts of amazing self-sacrificing mothers around, but i think exceptional mothers may not be limited to those listed that had to experience such extreme situations.who knows? if we had to experience the same difficult situation, we would have done the same for our kids!

personally, i feel that given each mother's unique situation, so long as we choose to see beyond ourselves, to put our children before us, in spite of the difficulties/challenges we may experience and make a personal choice to sacrifice our time and career, put in the effort for our kids all in the name of love, we are all exceptional to a certain extent!

trust me, in the eyes of our children, i believe we are all exceptional cos we r their mummy dearest! :love:

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat May 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Exceptional Motherhood - My definition

(Any one, need not be all)
A mother who spends time with her children no matter how busy she is.
A mother who sacrifices on her own expenses just to give something to her children.
A mother who cries when her children do something wrong.
A mother who stands up for her children, whether they are right or wrong.

There's alot more to add but I'm in a rush to bring my boy to WWW for family day today :)
Will update more when I have time!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Exceptional Motherhood

Postby Angelight » Sat May 22, 2010 5:10 pm

tankee wrote:a mature mother who beat her biological clock to go through painful IVFs just to have a child

a woman who went through several miscarriages before finally delivered a healthy baby;

I beg to disagree: not many women are willing to go thru IVFs to have a child. It's both physically and emotionally draining. It takes alot of courage. And for that, it's exceptional. And not many women who experienced several miscarriages would have the courage to want to conceive again.

Actually, exceptional can mean different things to different pple. There is no right or wrong; yes or no. Just feel free to share your own exceptional motherhood, or someone you know.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Angelight » Sat May 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Let me start the ball rolling. I know of a friend who could not conceive after a decade of marriage, so she and her husband adopted not one, but 2 children from another country. And she really loves her 2 adopted kids, quitting her job to stay home and look after them, sending them for enrichment classes etc.

To me, she is an exceptional mother cos not everyone would want to adopt or love children who are not their flesh and blood. Some childless couples would rather keep pets than to adopt a child. To give an unwanted child from a third world country a loving family and good upbringing and education is indeed exceptional.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby foreverj » Sun May 23, 2010 9:34 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:Exceptional Motherhood - My definition

(Any one, need not be all)
A mother who spends time with her children no matter how busy she is.
A mother who sacrifices on her own expenses just to give something to her children.
A mother who cries when her children do something wrong.
A mother who stands up for her children, whether they are right or wrong.

There's alot more to add but I'm in a rush to bring my boy to WWW for family day today :)
Will update more when I have time!

eh, the part on standing up for her children whether they r right or wrong can sometimes come across as spoiling the kids? do u mean stand by the children, whether they r right or wrong, so that they dun get bullied, but stil discipline/teach them on the side?

largely agree with 1 to 3, cos it basically means the mum takes it upon herself to be responsible for her children, their upbringing, and makes personal sacrifices for the benefit of her children.

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Mon May 24, 2010 8:23 am

foreverj wrote:personally, i feel that given each mother's unique situation, so long as we choose to see beyond ourselves, to put our children before us, in spite of the difficulties/challenges we may experience and make a personal choice to sacrifice our time and career, put in the effort for our kids all in the name of love, we are all exceptional to a certain extent!

trust me, in the eyes of our children, i believe we are all exceptional cos we r their mummy dearest! :love:

Ohhhhhh, I LIKE this .....

Well put, foreverj :rahrah:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby foreverj » Mon May 24, 2010 8:33 am

autumnbronze wrote:
Ohhhhhh, I LIKE this .....

Well put, foreverj :rahrah:

thank you :) (now how do i create the blush blush emoticon?? i'm no good at this...)

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time