Problem of staying next door to a talented pianist

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Problem of staying next door to a talented pianist

Postby markfch » Sat May 22, 2010 10:20 am

As I'm typing this text, I'm listening to piano music from the direction of my neighour's apartment. It's so good that I originally thought it's from a CD. I think she's a teenage girl playing.

It's so impressive. :celebrate: And I feel stress already cos if I can hear her play, the opposite will be quite true too.

Man, compared to her playing speed, my speed is slow motion like those 'couples (remember ling ching hsia?) running in the beach in those 70's shows' kind of speed.

Luckily at my age I'm quite thick skinned already. But still feel :oops: .....
User avatar
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby kuzco » Sat May 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Haha...I used to live next door to a very talented pianist too. Each time when I practised on the piano and struggling with a particular piece, she would show off by playing the exact piece superbly. It was really really discouraging. She has now gone on to be a famous pianist living and performing somewhere in Europe, while me.....I've given it up, although I did complete up to Grade 8. :(

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:58 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby markfch » Sat May 22, 2010 5:51 pm

kuzco wrote:Haha...I used to live next door to a very talented pianist too. Each time when I practised on the piano and struggling with a particular piece, she would show off by playing the exact piece superbly. It was really really discouraging. :(


That's quite mean hor. It's psychological bullying.
User avatar
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Guest » Sat May 22, 2010 5:54 pm

My neighbour always thinks the family disturbs us and we always think we disturb them.... but actually we only could hear if we are out at the corridor....otherwise very faint sound. Actually we don't mind listening as our neighbours are also good but I cannot speak for them... bwaaah. :lol:
Last edited by Guest on Sat May 22, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest
 

Postby autumnbronze » Sat May 22, 2010 5:56 pm

markfch wrote:
kuzco wrote:Haha...I used to live next door to a very talented pianist too. Each time when I practised on the piano and struggling with a particular piece, she would show off by playing the exact piece superbly. It was really really discouraging. :(


That's quite mean hor. It's psychological bullying.


:!: I agree, downright mean ...

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11858
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 63



Postby Blobbi » Sat May 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Sorry, I'm tooting my own horn!

At the height of my musical prowess (cough), someone in the neighbourhood actually rang the doorbell to ask if I was a music teacher and if I could teach her daughter *puffing with pride*.

But the truth was, I used to practice exam pieces only, and frantically too, just before the exams. I always scored well too - (think mainly distinctions). Which goes to show - you can fool all of the people some of the time ... but you can't fool all of the people all the time.

Now, I don't even touch the piano at all! :lol:
Last edited by Blobbi on Sat May 22, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby markfch » Sat May 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Blobbi wrote:Sorry, I'm tooting my own horn!

At the height of my musical prowess (cough), someone in the neighbourhood actually rang the doorbell to ask if I was a music teacher and if I could teach her daughter *puffing with pride*.

But the truth was, I used to only practice exam pieces only, and frantically too, just before the exams. I always scored well too - (think mainly distinctions). Which goes to show - you can fool all of the people some of the time ... but you can't fool all of the people all the time.

Now, I don't even touch the piano at all! :lol:


Blobbi,
It's such a waste having achieved such proficiency that you've stopped playing now. Could you transfer all your *skills* to me just like in those Chinese martial arts movies? There are just so many songs that I'll like to play as I age.
User avatar
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby sleepy » Sat May 22, 2010 6:49 pm

To solve the problem, learn another instrument. How about drum? :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9083
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Postby Blobbi » Sat May 22, 2010 6:54 pm

markfch wrote:
Blobbi wrote:Sorry, I'm tooting my own horn!

At the height of my musical prowess (cough), someone in the neighbourhood actually rang the doorbell to ask if I was a music teacher and if I could teach her daughter *puffing with pride*.

But the truth was, I used to only practice exam pieces only, and frantically too, just before the exams. I always scored well too - (think mainly distinctions). Which goes to show - you can fool all of the people some of the time ... but you can't fool all of the people all the time.

Now, I don't even touch the piano at all! :lol:


Blobbi,
It's such a waste having achieved such proficiency that you've stopped playing now. Could you transfer all your *skills* to me just like in those Chinese martial arts movies? There are just so many songs that I'll like to play as I age.


Em, you remember how they used to transfer martial arts skills? Images flashing through my mind now, yikes! Plus I got to turn into a man and you, into a woman. Too much trouble, surely :D.

Dunno why, the thought of sitting down at the piano is so alien to me now :roll:.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby sleepy » Sat May 22, 2010 6:54 pm

ksi wrote:My neighbour always thinks the family disturbs us and we always think we disturb them.... but actually we only could hear if we are out at the corridor....otherwise very faint sound. Actually we don't mind listening as our neighbours are also good but I cannot speak for them... bwaaah. :lol:


I didn't realise piano sound travelled that far until my neighbours from different floors asked which dd is playing :lol:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9083
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Next

Return to Recess Time