Flood @ Orchard, Newton, Bukit Timah, Cantonment Road

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Flood @ Orchard, Newton, Bukit Timah, Cantonment Road

Postby daisyt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Read on news about the disaster flood at town area. Anybody got stuck this morning? Look very serious, esp Orchard area.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp ... _road.html

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp ... rd_rd.html

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp ... _road.html

:!:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:14 pm

I wasn't in town but was shocked when I saw the news.. ...
especially Wheelock Place where Starbucks and Dutti were.. ...totally totally flooded siah :shock:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Traffic jams

Postby janet88 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 pm

There were many cars which broke down today. Traffic slowed to a crawl all the way down to Newton. We wanted to go to town to celebrate my father's birthday. Really memorable...hahahaha

At Newton Circus, traffic police blocked the entrance to Scotts Rd, leaving many drivers at a loss and as such creating more chaos. In the end, we went to Vivo City. First time I saw such serious flooding in our tourist district. Poor retailers in Lucky Plaza. :cry:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Before I read this, I was thinking of going there tmr.
Now I think I better go elsewhere.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby KingRascal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Shocked me too..
First thought that I have - root cause could be the recent development of the whole area, with Ion Orchard, 313, etc. All these tunneling and construction could have severely altered/damaged the drainage system in the whole district.

KingRascal
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:29 am

Saw on the news last night, the PUB man commented, they have to go into the drainage to investigate and see what's wrong. So is this flood due to the heavy rainfall or something wrong with the sewage? The rain started about 8+ am and Mcdonalds at Lucky Plaza had to evacuate their customers during breakfast time as the flow suddenly became strong cascading down.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 41057.html
"PUB, in a statement issued on Wednesday afternoon, said almost 100 mm of rain fell within a two-hour period from about 9 am to 11 am. 'The amount of rainfall is approximately more than 60 per cent of the average monthly rainfall for June,' it said."

If there is nothing wrong with the sewage system, can the 2 hour rain caused such big disaster? :?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby adhdadhd » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:39 am

This is another evident, that our "reactive mentality" of services, and not investing enough to proactive monitoring of drainage systems, I am rather surprize that this could happened, as I recalled an initiative to systematically re/direct rain/drain water, in a controlled manner into water catchment area. They said they need dry weather to investigate, I doubt you will know the true root cause, evidences may have been flushed away.

adhdadhd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tree nymph » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:49 am

I guess I was pretty lucky. I drove pass the very stretch of road at 9.10am in the morning with dd in the car, sending her to her childcare and me to work. There were no signs yet though the rain was very heavy and there were puddles of water, but not like the kind I saw on TV!

tree nymph
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:55 am

Come to think of that, the time when rats surfaced on the street shld be a warning sth is not right with the underground drains or whatever. Just like ants moving hse when it is going to rain.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

FLOODS

Postby janet88 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:32 am

My ex-maid sms-ed me last night to ask about the flooding in Orchard Rd !!! She couldn't believe it could happen in the shopping district.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time