TV time for toddlers

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

TV time for toddlers

Postby sean wife » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi mummies/daddies,

Do you think there is anything wrong if kids of coming to 3 yrs old do not watch any television, including educational DVDs etc? Or really minimal TV time, say only occasionally on weekends? They only watch the occassional Leapfrog and Barney...Learning wise, not much problem as we do read quite a bit. But just wondering if they are missing out on anything….

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby buds » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:26 pm

It's fine as it is really a question of preference here.
No right or wrong answer here, if you ask me. :D

I like that my girls watch varied TV shows as there
are much to learn from them. Animal Planet, National
Geographic and even Super Nanny! Hahaa! :lol:

My DD2 says, "Aren't you really lucky mummy... that
we aren't like that?" :!: Compared to those kids there
we are really excellent children, aren't we, mummy?" :please:

I'd just go.. :| .. "Aren't you lucky that i stayed home
to look after you, teach you and raise you well enough
not to be even close to behaving like that at anytime?"

My girls are appalled esp at kids who can kick their parents.
They gasp and cover their mouths in shock and wonder how
the children get away with it. My DD2 sometimes says, "I do
think some of these kids should be caned a looong time oredi."

:lol:

Sorry sean wife. I :offtopic: a bit. But just for sharing purposes
only. :oops: I also like watching Backyard Science and Sid The
Science Kid with my girls and not to mention my favourite show,
Fingertips! I love their craft ideas!

To answer your question, i suppose yes, they might be missing
out on stuff a little here and there... cause when children are
younger we can manage their TV options & TV time accordingly
& appropriately. There were many things my children have learnt
beyond reading books but on TV instead. That said, we do a host
of many other stuff than just going thru books and watching TV
definitely.. :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sunset_dae » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:39 pm

dun deprived them from watching tv, quite pathetic rite, they need to relieve stress also.. just make sure its educational and doesnt contain violence animation.. imagine all his friends talking abt Mickey mouse, donald duck, then yr child will said:"Huh"??????
I limit my boy to watching cartoons and documentary show every 15 mins everyday.
There is alot of stuff a child can learn other than reading.
Last wk when i attend PT meeting, the childcare teacher ask me what i have been teaching my boy? I gave the teacher a blur look and ask what happened so she told me when she show my son a picture of sun, he would tell teacher sunlight and sunbeam. a picture of flower, instead of reading out the word "flower", he would say there are petals..
the teacher tld me she is very amazed by his answer and ask me how did i coach my son and my ans to her was: watch documentary show
Last edited by sunset_dae on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sean wife » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks for sharing…we do not deliberately forbid them from watching TV. Just that I only have about 2-3 hours with them on weekday evenings and there seems to be many activities to engage them now that they are of a more interactive age. I also enjoy watching them engaging in their own imaginary free-play, e.g doctor-nurse, shopkeeper-customer, taxi-driver-passenger etc. Maybe because they can still take pretty long naps (2-3 hours) in the afternoon and we try to put them to bed by 9pm, or maybe we also do not watch too much TV ourselves…hubby likes documentaries though, but most of them seems to be showing only quite late, like 9-10pm, unless it’s on cable TV?

Maybe we can share any programs available on the free channels which are good for young tots?

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurf » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 pm

hmm, quite sure Tamarind would disagree with watching tv.hahah...

I think 3 yo is still ok to watch a bit of tv, but I read somewhere that under 2 yo, it's wiser not to let the child watch...but anyway, I do let ds2 watch...but not too long though...

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 am

i think it is fine if the kids do not spend a lot of time in front of the tv. my ds prefer to talk and play (or maybe boys cant sit still at younger age) when he was little. now that he is older (6 years old), he is starting to take a bit more interest in shows. but both my kids are not one of those "die die must watch tv" types.

anyway, i think most kids' programmes are rubbish and comes with a high price tag taking into consideration their own books, toys, cards etc.

hehe, however, i dont stop them from watching any shows they like even if i think it is rubbish.

:lol:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:07 am

smurf wrote:hmm, quite sure Tamarind would disagree with watching tv.hahah...

I think 3 yo is still ok to watch a bit of tv, but I read somewhere that under 2 yo, it's wiser not to let the child watch...but anyway, I do let ds2 watch...but not too long though...

Actually my kids do watch TV, but only when they were above 2 years old. From 2 to 5 years old they watched only the Leapfrog DVDs and the Little Einstein DVDs which I think are the only DVDs that kids need to watch at that age.

After 5 years old I let them watch about one hour of cartoons on the cable TV.

It is PSP and all forms of electronics games that I am totally against. Kids can absolutely do without these. TV is a lot less harmful in comparsion.

Last Sunday when we were having lunch at a Chinese restaurant, the waitress was amazed that both my kids were totally engrossed in drawing and writing on papers. At the other table, 2 kids age about 5 to 6 were totally engrossed in playing their PSP. I wonder why parents think that PSP is necessary to keep their kids occupied.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:30 am

Heyya tamarind! :hi5: Same with my girls too!
They'd either be drawing or writing.. sometimes
reading while waiting for our food to arrive. :wink:

TV watching for toddlers for me was done as a
together TV time for me. This way i can monitor
what they watch. When i first started allowing the
girls to watch TV... like tamarind it was also carefully
selected DVDs, not free TV and left alone to potato couch.

My selection were a lot on Richard Scarry videos. They used
to sell more variety in Kiddy Palace. But alas they have now
ceased to distribute it here in SG anywhere.. They also get
to watch Sesame Street, a little on Barney, Dora or Diego
episodes, Strawberry shortcake and stuff..

When they were older and could flip channels on their own,
i sit with them again to see which shows are good to watch.
That's where i found Tao Shu, Sid the Science Kid, Fingertips,
Backyard Science (etc) rather cool for casual viewing.

It's really preference and not of good or bad or wrong or right.
That said, too much of anything isn't good for anyone.. which
includes too much TV. It also helps that we don't do cable TV.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:48 pm

TV, with controlled programs can make a difference in terms of language learning too.

I have a student from Taiwan. His parents are very strict. They are totally not allowed to watch TV at all.
The result: he has very limited vocab for both English and Mandarin.

Common words like 'spy', 'hero', etc are hard for him to understand. And when it comes to creative writing, he is unable to describe with his imagination because he has not seen/experienced it before.
For example, the recent compo he had to write about was about a fire. He could not picture the emotions felt, the order of how things was done until I showed him a video on Youtube on a real fire with rescue effort by the fire brigade.

My boy is 3yo. His list of vocab comes from TV shows (educational ones only) and his experience. We try to show him the real item if possible but sometimes it's really not possible, TV will come in handy. His fave shows: Imagination movers (they teach some science concepts too), Leapfrog's programs and the chinese series Shi Wan Ge Wei Shen Me (10 000 whys).

TV did not interfere with our interaction/bonding time. :D

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:56 pm

I agreed that sometimes TV may be a source for vocabulary. :oops: to say that I learnt vocab thru watching tv, and those mandarin tv series u know. cos last time, only have access to those nonsense tv programmes. But, I think that if I've more access to story books, my vocab would have been stronger. :(

so envy Buds' gals and Tam kids...both of your kids can read and draw on their own. my boy just wants games. any kind of game (except board games)...PSP, com games (even those rubbish game), national geography games, playhouse disney games, etc. including handhelds (which I dun give, but during gathering, relatives children would dish out those)...

you see, he can't sit still, so reading is a torture to him since he cannot read a book on his own for more than 5 mins...but play game, he can play for hours!

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time