Where is your favourite place to hunt for furniture?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby VooVoo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 pm

It has been a long long while since I have to pay attention to the house...so really lost touch on where to start to browse and form an idea on what I like for my new place...please help! :?:

Of course, pretty much depends on your preferred theme...but good to share where you would go to if you want to buy furniture (if you are not getting it done up by an ID/contractor) - dining table, chairs, sofa, coffee table etc...

VooVoo
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Where is your favourite place to hunt for furniture?

Postby hquek » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:37 pm

VooVoo wrote:It has been a long long while since I have to pay attention to the house...so really lost touch on where to start to browse and form an idea on what I like for my new place...please help! :?:

Of course, pretty much depends on your preferred theme...but good to share where you would go to if you want to buy furniture (if you are not getting it done up by an ID/contractor) - dining table, chairs, sofa, coffee table etc...

I like to go Ikea to look for ideas. Quality can be spiffy on some items - but those I have got (ie bookshelves), are ok. I only go for those solid wood types and NEVER the mdf ones.

Years back, I had bought stuff from a furniture shop (they have a chain and are listed) - but was horribly disappointed. Tv console warped, sofa not comfy at all and the fabric (kee meng). never went back. pm me if you want to know which one.

Once I went to this shop at tanjong katong - they placed advertisements for super cheap wardrobe. I went there only to realise that the cheap stuff was limited and sold out (even though I was there early and there weren't any other customers around). Needless to say, I never would go back again.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Angelight » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:39 pm

For small-medium budget, I would suggest go to Ikea and V.hive. Ikea furniture are more trendy and creative, but the down side is cash and carry and you have to assemble yourself. V.hive furniture can be paid by cards and they usually provide free delivery and assembly.

Hope this helps.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:51 pm

My favourite place for furniture may spook you off.....cos I like to look for interesting antique furnitures. Some people might frown at my over-a-century old pieces which my dh initially did as well.

So if you like to live spookily like me than we can discuss more. :tongue:

Having said this, I also have modern classic pieces from manhattan collection, arbitex and some custom-made pieces....... Other than spookily, I also live troublesomely in that I will go all over the island just to put my whole concept together but I don't use ID, so I save alot on ID. I think they hate me for saying this... :tongue:

Postby smurf » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:03 pm

me looking for antique furniture now. anyone can share where you buy them from?? I dun use ID.:)

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DesertWind » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:29 pm

VooVoo wrote: but good to share where you would go to if you want to buy furniture (if you are not getting it done up by an ID/contractor) - dining table, chairs, sofa, coffee table etc...

Hi VooVoo! :wink:

I suggest the following:

(1) For Leather Sofa - go to HTL Warehouse Sale (Hwa Tat Lee), you can look out for their advertisement for weekend warehouse sale or call them to ask when is the next sale. I bought a leather 3 seater sofa for only about SGD700! They produce mainly for export to other countries hence their sofa tends to be pretty bulky and huge. But you can go take a look as I feel their prices are a real bargain compared to other shops in town selling sofas which cost between S$2K to S$3.5K!

(2) For Dining Table - go to Air Division to take a look. They are famous for their dining tables and chairs. Very classy and streamlined. We bought ours with teak wood base and granite top, rectangular 6 seater with 6 matching wood and leather chairs. The whole set costs about S$3-4K but we feel it is extremely worth it as we love the set!

(3) For Beds - go for those posturepedic type. Or buy from Ikea is also comfortable and good! For duvet with down/feathers filling, I think Ikea is really superb value for money.

(4) Coffee tables, side tables and such, depends on what type of materials do you like? Rattan, marble, wood, steel, glass? Go to Furniture Mall at Beach Road you can see a mind-boggling number of shops! Go to Park Mall at Dhoby Gaut for more up-market furnitures.

Happy shopping!
:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby VooVoo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:57 am

Thank you all...I used to frequent Lifeshop, Barang Barang, XZQT as well...

VooVoo
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby VooVoo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:02 am

How about lightings? Along Balestier stretch?

VooVoo
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby hquek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 am

For Air division (and all other places), don't paiseh, ask for better price. They knocked off I think additional 10% off my mum's sofa (after already 40%). I was speechless but quietly thankful.

For lighting, I go to Singapore Lighting Centre (quite near that 24 hour foodcourt) at balestier. I find their prices good, and also the pieces quite alright (I only like clean lines, simple designs; not the fancy fancy bling bling or the beng beng type). but I do again go to Ikea for the not important lightings (eg storeroom, yard area).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smurf » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:36 am

I think they probably earn a lot already lah...

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time