Where is your favourite place to hunt for furniture?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:71

Post by hquek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:38 am

smurf wrote:I think they probably earn a lot already lah...

I agree but markups have to be high cos it's not a high turnover thing. I do lurve their metally bookshelf, but cannot bring myself to pay that few k for it.... :(

VooVoo
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by VooVoo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 am

Also, first time using ID (no time to reno compared to when we didn't have kids)...any advice? Like, can bargain after getting quotation? :oops:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by smurf » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 am

dun be surprised that the shops are earning even after discounting 80%, because they do sell the things at about 200% more. I was told that some lights selling price around 1k odd, can be discounted to $600 or less. and they still earn. although they are not high turnover thing.

designers goods are definitely more expensive lor...

:)

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Post by hquek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 am

VooVoo wrote:Also, first time using ID (no time to reno compared to when we didn't have kids)...any advice? Like, can bargain after getting quotation? :oops:

can. when it comes to reno, bargain! Time and again, even when I stick to my usual contractor, there will be stuff I am :!: . Usually will ask him and he may offer to cut down - sometimes the magnitude scares me.

But remember that price cut may = quality cut. Check with your ID if this/that can be cheaper and how can it be so (using cheaper materials?). my contractor likes to quote us 3M type material, and we may want to change it to normal/cheaper type.

So you have to decide which pain you want to bear. The immediate $$ pain, or the longer term "I should have done this" pain. :P

btw, I find Jalan Besar stretch good to look for sinks and taps. Some even sell Grohe. Although so many years down the road, I probably will not feel the need to go for Grohe taps again - normal cheap ones should suffice in many cases.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Post by hquek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:57 am

smurf wrote:dun be surprised that the shops are earning even after discounting 80%, because they do sell the things at about 200% more. I was told that some lights selling price around 1k odd, can be discounted to $600 or less. and they still earn. although they are not high turnover thing.

Agree on all counts. SLC that I go to. The lady can tell me price of this light is $85, after discount is 65. Piang....just say what the end price is can? Sigh....

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by smurf » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 am

I chanced upon this shop at Changi road, they sell sinks and taps quite cheaply. contractors price. What I did was to get the model number from showroom, then go to this shop and get the goods. cos showroom prices are about 20-30% more.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by smurf » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:01 am

hquek wrote:
smurf wrote:dun be surprised that the shops are earning even after discounting 80%, because they do sell the things at about 200% more. I was told that some lights selling price around 1k odd, can be discounted to $600 or less. and they still earn. although they are not high turnover thing.

Agree on all counts. SLC that I go to. The lady can tell me price of this light is $85, after discount is 65. Piang....just say what the end price is can? Sigh....

then u ask, $40 can? ...
:lol:

VooVoo
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by VooVoo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:02 am

sigh....so must really browse around the island to know the "market" price before commiting? :shock: Very energy zapping...and where got time :roll:

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Joy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:07 am

May I know for fan, where can you buy reasonable cost ceiling fan?thanks

sheryl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by sheryl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:19 am

smurf wrote:I chanced upon this shop at Changi road, they sell sinks and taps quite cheaply. contractors price. What I did was to get the model number from showroom, then go to this shop and get the goods. cos showroom prices are about 20-30% more.

Pls provide the name & address of the shop. Will need to get sanitarywares, WC, etc for my new house.