Mediacorp Location Filming at your Home

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Will you allow Mediacorp to film at your home?

Yes, I did it before and will do it again!
7%
Yes I would love to if given the chance.
33%
I did it before, but NEVER again!
No votes
NO! My home is private and I will not show it to the world!
60%

Total votes : 15

Mediacorp Location Filming at your Home

Postby BigDevil » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm

Just received a letter from Mediacorp asking to "interview" our home for a new Channel 8 drama serial.

We are not interested, but curious to find out if anyone had offered their home for filming.

Was it a pleasant experience? Did they rearrange your furniture? Did they make a mess of your home? How was the compensation?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby hquek » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:06 pm

no experience, but care to share if your house is very 'chio'?

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:10 pm

No personal experience but when my son was robed in as an 'extra' for a Channel 8 drama series a few years ago, the man told us that when they have to do filming at someone's house, they usually try not to upset the furniture and such and I was told that they pay $100 as a one-time 'token' to make use of your house for filming. Not sure about how much they pay now.

Postby HyperKiasu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:18 pm

according to my ex-collegue, she enjoyed the experience and she got free touch up for one of the wall of her living room...

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby LKVM » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:27 pm

BigD ur house very beautiful?

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:27 pm

hquek wrote:no experience, but care to share if your house is very 'chio'?

My home is just a humble HDB flat. Not chio at all.

Anyway, they didn't specifically target my home..they are just doing mass mail drop offs to see who's interested. According to the letter, they will schedule a visit to your home for 5 - 10mins to take some photos. Guess the production team will select the one best fit their needs.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Big D, one-off kind of filming like advertisement is ok, i.e. not many scenes in your house type. They do move the furniture but they will take care. Mine was used for an advertisement by "Sony" before, if I recall rightly, eons ago and it is a day job.

But for long serials like "想握你的手", I wonder how the owners put up with the many scenes required in the house.

Also you have better de-clutter your house if it is going to be used for a few times, they need space for alot of equipment.

Postby BigDevil » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:41 pm

No worries, we're not interested at all. :wink:

The letter said they will need 1 week of filming on non-consecutive days, so the whole thing might stretch out to several weeks. Can't imagine how I can get my children to bed if they ever need to shoot a night scene!

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Andaiz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:18 pm

No experience with them filming IN my place but they used our street for one of the Channel 8 drama. It was quite fun, fake rain etc...we had to clear the carparks lah! And all the neighbour kids took out their stools and just enjoyed the drama (we each got out snacks to share)... :wink:

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:34 pm

My cousin is an assistant producer in a film company and they've used my place for fliming before.

Things to note:
1. They try not to upset any furniture if possible. If they need to, they will ask for permission.
2. Be prepared that you might need to empty your cupboard/fridge if they need a scene showing 'empty' cupboard/fridge.
3. They have assistants who will come in advance to set up and get the place ready.
4. They usually try to bring all the necessary stuff and if they need anything (cooking scene, need your stove, etc), they will inform in advance.
5. Be prepared that they will lie on your bed, etc for filming. Some people may not like it, so can inform the production crew in advance, they will bring their own bedsheets/blankets.
6. Someone must be at home during the filming, unless it's an extra property (maybe for investment and have not found someone to rent it).
7. Your house need not be big/designer style. Just look at the recent drama serials. They also need simple and plain, clustered houses to look 'old' and lived in. :p
8. Most of the production crew and actor/actresses are rather nice. No need to worry :)
9. Your toilet will be used very often (think about the number of people who will be there). Usually there's 1-2 lighting/mic guy, 1-2 camera man, 1 director, 2-3 assistants, and the cast (usually 2-5).
10. If you have dogs, infants or kids at home, not suitable cos you need to get them out of the house (worried they might make noise). My dog will take a holiday at my mum's place during filming (my parents miss her anyway). My boy will also go to my mum's place.

So far they've been rather accomodating about the filming schedule (they try to fit our schedule).
It's rather fun actually, getting to see how it's done and how many NGs they have (so many that sometimes, I could memorise their lines!)

Another fun part is that sometimes they borrow cars from the car agents. Then they need someone to go pick up the car from the agent and drive to location. Usually their production crew are youngsters without license or are too busy preparing for the shot to go pick up the car. So they pay my hubs to do it for them. He loves it cos sometimes he gets to drive expensive cars that we could never dream of getting :p

Well, based on my experience, if your kids are at school the whole day and you are home (no need to work) or have someone at home to open the door for the production crew, I think it's quite alright considering they do pay you $100 per day :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time