Do you compare your kid's marks with others?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes : 31

Postby KSP » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:05 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:but how about kids' scores/rankings? i found some parents are very eager to compare the kids' (lower primary kids) results.....
"what is your kids' ranking in class and cohort" "what is his score for Eng, Math, Chinese"
were the questions one parent asked me recently....

have u experienced this ?
is it common to compare ? :?

This is a very interesting topic which I think we should make poll.

I try not to but sometimes I do ask. I really feel is not so healthy but we are human. I mean what if my child score higher or lower it is only a test or exam. But I really feel annoyed if parents ask me about my child's score. Especially those ask for the sake of comparing. I just told them which band and said forgot the exact marks. After a few time they catch my hint.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:13 pm

but my son only P1....
and that parent asked same question to my hubby that day who met her just hours before i met her. And my hubby can't remember clearly my son's position...

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby KoalaMummy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:19 pm

well, i'm in a dilema here. On one hand, i want to know other kids result, on the other hand, i don't like to tell others my kids results (esp when they don't do well)... :roll:

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummyjoyce » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:33 pm

I asked my DDs about their classmates' marks but no eveeyone. I tell them that I am interested to know the lowest and highest as I want to ensure that my DDs are in the above average range.
I tell them the truth why I am asking.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tamarind » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:05 pm

My colleague, whose kids are in the same primary school as mine, tried hard to get me to tell her my girl's SA1 marks. I said I forgot. I did not ask her kids' marks at all, but she could not help it and told me.

Kids are only in P1 ! I do not believe that learning should be about competition. My girl's school only published the lowest and highest marks of all students for each subject, and I think that is good enough.

MOE has just announced that there will be no more exams in P1. I actually think that it is fine to have exams from P1 to P6. But they should disallow ranking in primary schools in all levels. The problem is not with exams, it is with the endless comparisons by parents.

My colleague said that her girl scored near the highest marks, but she is still not happy, because she said that "many kids also scored near the highest marks". This is not true because it is a neighbourhood school and the teacher told me that many kids still cannot read in P1. Even in a brand name school where more than half the kids can get near perfect scores, parents should still be happy for their kids.

Just curious. Are there any parents out there who actually say "Well Done" when your child gets 80+ marks ?

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:14 pm

the kids compare among themselves

i was told one day one girl tricked my son to tell what is his marks and she refused to say about hers

another day the girl got it from my son too....... :rotflmao:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:23 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:the kids compare among themselves

i was told one day one girl tricked my son to tell what is his marks and she refused to say about hers

英雄难过美人关

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:24 pm

In my girl's school, teachers displayed the marks of all students on the screen. There is no secret :P
Last edited by tamarind on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:24 pm

Brenda10 wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:the kids compare among themselves

英雄难过美人关

君子报仇十年不晚
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby RRMummy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:26 pm

tamarind wrote:In my girl's school, teachers displayed the marks of all students on the screen. There is no secret :P

Doesn't seem very nice for those who are at the bottom... :roll:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time