YOG in Singapore

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

YOG in Singapore

Postby Way2GO » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:47 am

Still don't feel like an orgy.
The gahmen has spent more than $300 mil on this inaugural YOG.
It is coming soon.
My sense is muted interest from the general public.
Do you feel the excitement?
Please post interesting happenings and your comments here.
Last edited by Way2GO on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kuzco » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:55 am

Ds whose CCA is x-country, has been given ticket to attend the gymnastics event on a school day from 6 pm to 9.45 pm at Bishan :P :| . School ends at 4.30 on that day, and then they are whisked off to the stadium at 4.45 pm. It's gonna be a l-o-n-g day for him. :gloomy:

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: whY OrGy in Singapore

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:55 am

Way2GO wrote:whY OrGy in Singapore

Still don't feel like an orgy.
The gahmen has spent more than $300 mil on this inaugural YOG.
It is coming soon.
My sense is muted interest from the general public.
Do you feel the excitement?
Please post interesting happenings and your comments here.

the kids are suffering because they have to perform for the ceremonies

practices and practices ..... afternoon burnt, weekend burnt from 6.45am.....siao one
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:03 am

kuzco wrote:Ds whose CCA is x-country, has been given ticket to attend the gymnastics event on a school day ... :gloomy:

Yeah, understand MOE bought 80,000 tickets thereabouts to be distributed to the schools.
80,000 kids + 160,000 :gloomy: parents?
Just support lah. :wink:
It's a PR thingy.
Hope the kids not too tired to smile on TV :lol:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:12 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:

practices and practices ..... afternoon burnt, weekend burnt from 6.45am.....siao one

:!: your kids also in it?
Take it as national service lah.
A little suffering is good for character building, yes?

Singapore will get some mileage out of this.
So far, worldwide coverage also looks restrained.
>$300 mil spent worth it?

Heard China is organising the next YOG.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:20 am

Its important for small countries like ours, who wish to continue to punch above our weight, to demonstrate that we can manage to host such events. It gives us publicity and raises profile internationally. As with many such events, the locals may feel uninvolved and disinterested. A few years ago when I ran the Chicago Marathon, many of the local citizens were unaware of the event and those that knew were almost universally skeptical of it, citing road closures and other inconveniences. Yet, undeniably, such an event of high repute, organised properly, gives a sheen of respectability and buzz to the host city, not to mention over 35,000+ visitors plying the hotels, restaurants and sights.

When I was in South Africa the 2nd week of July, during the semis of the WC, the pride that the ordinary man in the street was palpable. They feel its a coming of age for a young and troubled nation.

People and athletes from many nations will come, many for the first time to Singapore. These are folk who may be the movers and shakers of the future, leaders of their nations, who hopefully would have taken home a great impression of their hosts.

Can it be a pain? Yeah, been involved in NDP style rehearsals a few times in my life and its Saturdays on end burnt, but I have never felt that it was not worth the while.

I for one, am chuffed by this. If work schedule allows, I'll be taking my boys to watch some of the events. I'd urge us all to put aside petty gripes for just a week, put down some of the cynicism and really get behind the young Olympians from home and abroad, for whom this is THE EVENT so far in their young lives and give them something to remember.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:41 am

3Boys wrote: not to mention over 35,000+ visitors plying the hotels, restaurants and sights.

Well, it didn't pan out that way after all the hype and buzz for the World Summit held at Suntec a few years ago. The tourist dollars didn't roll in.

3Boys wrote:When I was in South Africa the 2nd week of July, during the semis of the WC, the pride that the ordinary man in the street was palpable.

That was some party huh? :celebrate:
These people know how to party.
We Asians just don't have that groove yet.

3Boys wrote:I for one, am chuffed by this. If work schedule allows, I'll be taking my boys to watch some of the events. I'd urge us all to put aside petty gripes for just a week, put down some of the cynicism and really get behind the young Olympians from home and abroad, for whom this is THE EVENT so far in their young lives and give them something to remember.

ImageImage

:celebrate:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 am

Way2GO wrote:
3Boys wrote: not to mention over 35,000+ visitors plying the hotels, restaurants and sights.

Well, it didn't pan out that way after all the hype and buzz for the World Summit held at Suntec a few years ago. The tourist dollars didn't roll in.

3Boys wrote:When I was in South Africa the 2nd week of July, during the semis of the WC, the pride that the ordinary man in the street was palpable.

That was some party huh? :celebrate:
These people know how to party.
We Asians just don't have that groove yet.

3Boys wrote:I for one, am chuffed by this. If work schedule allows, I'll be taking my boys to watch some of the events. I'd urge us all to put aside petty gripes for just a week, put down some of the cynicism and really get behind the young Olympians from home and abroad, for whom this is THE EVENT so far in their young lives and give them something to remember.

ImageImage

:celebrate:

Thanks Way2Go. :celebrate:

Yeah sometimes things work and sometimes they don't, but the only way to never fail is never to try anything new in the first place. We are pretty critical of our bureaucrats for being square cut and boxed-in, once in a while if they do something different, we ought to give them a little space.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:59 am

Way2GO wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:

:!: your kids also in it?
Take it as national service lah.
A little suffering is good for character building, yes?

Singapore will get some mileage out of this.
So far, worldwide coverage also looks restrained.
>$300 mil spent worth it?

Heard China is organising the next YOG.

they have been through so many performances and competitions, pity them when you see them too tired to get up in the morning for school

Nanjing is doing the next YOG
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cascada » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:52 pm

I find the recent TV advertisement showing kids asking their parents to bring them to watch YOG / parents saying they will bring their kids to watch YOG very very HARD SELL.
Is the ticket sale so bad?

And why start give way to YOG vehicles from today? Give way also must rehearse meh?

cascada
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time