Optical Shop For Children

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Optical Shop For Children

Postby titank » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Any recommended optical shop for making glasses for children. Estimate how is the price like for P1 student? Just short sighted where detected by HPB.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Optical Shop For Children

Postby MMM » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 pm

titank wrote:Any recommended optical shop for making glasses for children. Estimate how is the price like for P1 student? Just short sighted where detected by HPB.

Titank, my K1 was diagnosed with astigmatism this year. We brought her to Nanyang Optical as we wanted to get her those cartoon characters to entice her to wear her specs. It's around $100+ for 1 pair.

If the prescription is provided, I believe you can bring your child to any optical shop so long as they have kids' size frames.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby titank » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:18 pm

MMM wrote:
titank wrote:Any recommended optical shop for making glasses for children. Estimate how is the price like for P1 student? Just short sighted where detected by HPB.

Titank, my K1 was diagnosed with astigmatism this year. We brought her to Nanyang Optical as we wanted to get her those cartoon characters to entice her to wear her specs. It's around $100+ for 1 pair.

If the prescription is provided, I believe you can bring your child to any optical shop so long as they have kids' size frames.

Wow $100 per pair? Imagine if every 6 months require change 1 pair then would be extra optical expenses. Sorry I have perfect eyesight so really do not know market price for optical products.

Heard someone said if done over in Johor Bahru would be cheaper by a lot. Is it true?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 pm

There is a new lens MYOvision, supposed to help reduce the progression of shortsightedness. I was told it only allows the child to look straight for sharp images. If the child attempts to look sideway w/o tilting the head, ie only moving the eyes, towards the object, the image will be blur.

I just made a pair for my P3 boy. The lens itself costs $300 plus. The frame we chose is a one piece metal frame (its shape less likely to distort) is $100 plus. Total $468.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:31 pm

titank wrote:
MMM wrote:

Wow $100 per pair? Imagine if every 6 months require change 1 pair then would be extra optical expenses. Sorry I have perfect eyesight so really do not know market price for optical products.

Heard someone said if done over in Johor Bahru would be cheaper by a lot. Is it true?

Don't need to go to JB. Some heartland mall stores actually sell kid's frame and lens for not more than $50 only. Actually, so far my P3 (wearing since K1 as well for astigmatism but now some short sighted too) only change her prescription once. It's probably a yearly event? When Nanyang had offer during GSS, we actually paid $100+ (buy 1 get 1 free).

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby titank » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Heartland Mall? My place Redhill Town Centre does not look like a Heartland Mall where more like Jurassic Park Mall.
Yes save the trouble going across the Causeway!

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:06 pm

I normally head to Pearl's Optical at People's Park Centre.
They will check the eyes thoroughly (pressure check & take a photo to check the retina). Price is reasonable too :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time