What type of bicycle is your child riding?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What type of bicycle is your child riding?

Postby Jennifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 am

The hand-me-down bicycle has its back wheel jammed onto the frame (the cause: my P3 boy ran over a tree root on the field). I asked a bicycle repair shop (located in Bt Batok) whether it can be repaired and was told a simple nut loose prob costs a few dollars and whole tire change costs around $40. A brand new URATA 24" mountain bike costs $99/-. Seems more worthwhile to buy a brand new one as this bicycle is already 5 y.o.

Since his 9th birthday is due soon, I am thinking of getting a new bicycle for him.

What criteria did you use to decide on what type of bicycle?

There do not seem to be any bicycle shop around Bt Panjang estate. I only know of a Rodalink along Jurong Kechil and another bicycle shop near King's Arcade. And this one at Bt Batok (but delivery is chargeable). I do not hv transport to bring the bicycle home so I really need the shop to deliver.

Where do you buy yours?

TIA your sharing.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:18 am

isn't 24" abit too high for a 9 yo?

u can consider carrefour as the bikes can be quite cheap when special offer. delivery free when>$150...
http://www.carrefour.com.sg/cservice.html#delivery

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:53 am

Nebbermind wrote:isn't 24" abit too high for a 9 yo?

u can consider carrefour as the bikes can be quite cheap when special offer. delivery free when>$150...
http://www.carrefour.com.sg/cservice.html#delivery

I also think 24" is too high. This shop @ Bt Batok displays only 24" n 26" mountain bike, the rest are kiddy ones w/o gear system. My P3 boy wants a bike that runs on gears.

The present one (which is spoilt now) is 20", not URATA brand. We got it from the shop @ Farrer Rd (the same shop that conducts learn to cycle lessons). This shop did not deliver. We had to borrow my father-in-law's car to bring it home. If I go n order from this shop, I would hv to trouble my father-in-law this time :oops: My last resort.

R u aware whether Carrefour @ Plaza Singapura has a good selection of bikes with gears? TIA your sharing.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby salemslot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 pm

my son has recently (last yr) learnt to do away with the training wheels and is now riding a 20" single speed aleoca .Bought from Giant turf city at $50/-.
He is 7yrs old ..soon we will need a bigger bike so im thinking of raising the seat first. any recommendations for a good and lightweight bike?
Im currently riding a Titus Eleven MTB myself

salemslot
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Please check this out for a shop near your place :

http://www.togoparts.com/bikeshops/list ... php?page=2

Whether your kid can ride 24", depends on his height and reach (though it does sound on the larger end. But then my boy of 5 yrs old can ride a 20" - saddle height and handlbar reach makes a lot of difference).

Important thing is to ask your kid what he wants and shop with him. Different brands have different geometry. Most at this size would have gearing, so no sweat.

Happy shopping ! :D

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:06 pm

I called Bikes n Bits @ old Bt Timah Fire Stn. A kid's road bike cost at least $900 :!:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Jennifer, those are road bikes, and they come in different components. BnB carries high end bikes (Storck, Zullo and others).

You kid is probably lookng for either a MTB or hybrid. There are other good brands ranging from S$250 - S$500.

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:13 pm

Jennifer wrote:I called Bikes n Bits @ old Bt Timah Fire Stn. A kid's road bike cost at least $900 :!:

Yes, not only road bikes, mountain bikes can be expensive too. The brand and type of the gear, the frame material and brand, the saddle, the brake system .... For road bikes, one thing people for at is weight.

Road bikes, unless you are cycling on road, or else, not very suitable on pavement. The tyres are slim and thin.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, $200 can get a reasonable good road bike for kids. If not, you can get good deal from togoparts, 2nd hand. There is a forum there for cyclists selling used bikes.

Happy shopping. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Eagle-Ladybird wrote:Jennifer, those are road bikes, and they come in different components. BnB carries high end bikes (Storck, Zullo and others).

You kid is probably lookng for either a MTB or hybrid. There are other good brands ranging from S$250 - S$500.

I hv no idea what a road bike/MTB/hybrid is. Think wld go back to those neighbourhood shops n pay for delivery charge. At least still within my budget. Anyway it is just for leisure cycling around the estate.

Thank you all for the sharing :D

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:17 pm

salemslot wrote:He is 7yrs old ..soon we will need a bigger bike so im thinking of raising the seat first. any recommendations for a good and lightweight bike?

Yes, raising the seat tube, and saddle position will accomodate growth, to a certain limit. Adjusting the reach of the handle bar will also help. Generally aluminium kids bikes are much lighter, and easier for them to handle. My son rides a Trek MT20 - no complain

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2009/archive/mt20[/img]

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time