Mio TV wired vs wireless connection

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Mio TV wired vs wireless connection

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Is anyone on Mio wireless connection?

We must hv missed reading the Starhub letter properly. Got a shock that we cannot watch ESPN Star Sports on our existing Starhub box anymore. No F1 on Starhub for hubby n #2.

To continue watching F1, we must subscribe to Mio TV.

I checked out Mio, wired connection meant drilling works (free svc). Wireless connection needs to pay a mthly fee and somemore is not recommended (as stated in its website).

Our TV console is a fixture.

Would like to hear from all with wired or wireless connection. Many thanks in advance.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:43 pm

From what I'm aware, MIO box uses existing phone line for data transmission.

Need drilling meh? Unless you don't have phone line and need to install phone line.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:40 pm

for me, forget about Mio tv lah ...... so many complaints in the media....just my personal observation

not to influence any one hor
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jon00 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:22 pm

I used to be on Mio TV, but after 1 year (contract), I switched to Starhub.
Since Mio video content comes from the phone line, you must have a phone point near the television for the integrated modem and running the line to the setup box to avoid unsightly wires. Alternatively, you need a wireless connection from the Mio integrated modem to the setup box.

I used a wireless connection (called the Rackus) but it is only effective if it is within the line of sight. I paid $68 for the system but no additional monthly charges. I think Singtel is not offering the same type of wireless system anymore (mine was almost 2 years ago). Nevertheless, I still do not like Mio due to the slow boot up time (it takes almost 3mins for bootup if you switch off your setup box). It also hung up regularly...it can be frustrating!

jon00
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby BigDevil » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 am

If you don't want to use wireless, and your phone outlet is not near your TV, there's another option called a homeplug: http://www.aztech.com/prod_homeplug.html

You need to buy a pair of this device, and plug them into the wall electric socket. The data will be trasmitted through the electrical wiring in your home. If you buy more of this device, then you can have all your PCs / notebooks in different rooms access the internet without setting up a wireless network at home.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby raysusan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 am

BigDevil wrote:If you don't want to use wireless, and your phone outlet is not near your TV, there's another option called a homeplug: http://www.aztech.com/prod_homeplug.html

You need to buy a pair of this device, and plug them into the wall electric socket. The data will be trasmitted through the electrical wiring in your home. If you buy more of this device, then you can have all your PCs / notebooks in different rooms access the internet without setting up a wireless network at home.
this is very new to me
do we need a special plan with go with that?

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:09 pm

There is no plan to subscribe to. You can just walk into most major computer hardware shops to purchase a pair (or more) of such homeplug and use them immediately. I believe Singtel used to offer a pair with Mio subscription, but not sure whether they still do.

The homeplug basically turns your home electrical wiring into a data network, so whenever you need to place your PC/notebook which is away from your ADSL/cable modem, you just put one homeplug where your modem is, and another one where your PC is.

Do note that you will need to plug the homeplug directly into the wall socket, but not into a power extension bar. That's why Aztech has 2 models (HL109EP and HL110EP) which allow you to plug a power extension bar into the homeplug after the homeplug has been plugged into the wall socket.

You can read more about this technology here: http://www.homeplug.org/home/

Below is a picture taken from Aztech's website to show you an example of how the homeplug can be used.

* Disclaimer: I am in no way related to Aztech, and I'm not trying to promote Aztech here. I'm mentioning this brand because it's the first that comes to mind. There are other makers of such device and you can try google for them.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby limlim » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:52 pm

raysusan wrote:this is very new to me
do we need a special plan with go with that?

No. How you manage the network data transmission within the house is entirely up to you. Just need to buy/get the appropriate devices to work can already. The options are wired LAN cable, wireless, homeplug etc.. These have nothing to do with the service provider.

Heard that the homeplug can be quite problematic thou..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby spanly » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Wired connection for mioTV is recommended as is the most stable option... no drilling required as long as there's a phone line in the house... the only thing is that if the phone pt is far away from your TV, then u need the wired line to be pulled from the phone pt to your TV which may be unsightly.

The wireless will be via either Rackus(a wireless device) which was offered when mioTV first started. They've now been replaced with the power adapter called Comtrend via the power socket. Both these options will incurred $5/mthly charges for 1 yr which work out to $60.

yeah... if u want to catch F1 & BPL... u'll need to subscribe to mioTV.

Hope this helps.

spanly
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby limlim » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:48 pm

The conventional network looks like this

Phone Line -> MIO box (modem) -> STB (MIO TV set top box) -> TV

The MIO box is place next to the phone line. It may have integrated wireless capability.

Normal way is to use LAN cable to connect MIO box to STB.

Alternative way is homeplug, OR via wireless.

I have no experience with the other devices mentioned. What I'll do is to use a wireless ethernet converter to connect to the STB. I tested with xbox360, no issue. Not sure about STB thou.

So the connection will look like this

Phone Line -> MIO box -[wireless]-> Ethernet converter -[LAN cable]-> STB -> TV.

Since MIO box wireless can go up to 54Mbps, and I guess mio TV only needs 22Mbps.. the wireless speed should be sufficient..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time